E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Advice requested - Frederick/Hagerstown, MD area

There is a chance I'll receive an offer for a job in Hagerstown. I just want to get some opinions from the locals about Frederick and the surrounding areas. Offer or no, I'd like to get as much information ahead of time.

They flew me up last weekend to check out the area. Unfortunately it was raining so I couldn't check out too much. I did driving tours of Hagerstown and Frederick. Not impressed with Hagerstown at all. Frederick was much better but still not outstanding. Again, it was a rainy winter day which makes anything seem dreary.

Some key considerations are:
1. affordable single family housing, within ~45 minute commuting distance to Hagerstown and the Baltimore-Washington areas.
2. commutable to major universities for wife to finish grad school.
3. currently living in Atlanta. I don't want to move to a boring area.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Hagerstown is more of a retirement town. I fooled around with a few ladies from up in that area, its not a bad place. Frederick is alright, but honestly you're not going to be far from say....Baltimore or D.C., or even Annapolis. Rockville is fairly nice, close to Baltimore and Annapolis....very close. I was making the commute from Andrews AFB to Rockville every weekend and it only took me about ~30ish minutes. If you go more east in MD just make sure you stay in the Potomac area, otherwise it can get pretty ghetto. Let me know if you have any more question! I've been here for about 3 years now.
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
From someone who has lived in Annapolis my entire life...

This dude is ****ing drunk^ Hagerstown is where everyone you would never want to meet. Lives. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT GO THERE. NEVER GO THERE. Really though, people are outright dreadful, white trash, black trash, all colors of the rainbow trash. Come to Arnold, Annapolis, Rockville, ......Hell even DC is better than Hagerstown.

OP, you have been warned.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
From someone who has lived in Annapolis my entire life...

This dude is ****ing drunk^ Hagerstown is where everyone you would never want to meet. Lives. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT GO THERE. NEVER GO THERE. Really though, people are outright dreadful, white trash, black trash, all colors of the rainbow trash. Come to Arnold, Annapolis, Rockville, ......Hell even DC is better than Hagerstown.

OP, you have been warned.

The only part I've seen is old people and rich families in Hagerstown. I tend to lean away from white trash\black trash. Sorry you got mixed up in that crowd

Anyways, Yes Rockille and Annapolis are much nicer, but he was asking about Hagerstown and Frederick. I only spent a short time there, maybe 6 weekends out of a year....but really any city you go to has shitty sides to it.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
ChrisRedmon

Fredrick isnt to bad.....

But honest, i would rather be in DC or Baltimore than go to Hagerstown for one more day and almost get my M smashed by a 30 year old F-150 with a wheel missing.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL CF Trunk l GTR CF Hood l CSL CF Diffuser l Status Gruppe

Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Eisenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Fredrick isnt to bad.....

But honest, i would rather be in DC or Baltimore than go to Hagerstown for one more day and almost get my M smashed by a 30 year old F-150 with a wheel missing.
Yea...I also never drove mine there. But driving it around in Clinton with the local populous doesnt give the best feeling of security either
Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
ChrisRedmon

OP you will do what you need to do. Just keep your BMW parked and get a honda. If the job is worth the area....Who gives a **** what the people on the interwebz think?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
LeMansteve

Thanks for the replies. Job would be in Hagerstown, but after driving through there for 5 minutes I decided I would never want to live there. Most likely would live in or around Frederick.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenheim View Post
Hagerstown is more of a retirement town. I fooled around with a few ladies from up in that area, its not a bad place. Frederick is alright, but honestly you're not going to be far from say....Baltimore or D.C., or even Annapolis. Rockville is fairly nice, close to Baltimore and Annapolis....very close. I was making the commute from Andrews AFB to Rockville every weekend and it only took me about ~30ish minutes. If you go more east in MD just make sure you stay in the Potomac area, otherwise it can get pretty ghetto. Let me know if you have any more question! I've been here for about 3 years now.

Howard County
Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
LeMansteve

Advanced question for bonus points - anyone have experience living in BOTH Atlanta and the Frederick area?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
1. affordable single family housing, within ~45 minute commuting distance to Hagerstown and the Baltimore-Washington areas.
A - I would pick the Germantown area or just north of it. Don't go rural (Boyds, Poolesville, Bealsville)
A - Germantown allows you to commute to U of MD, Gtwn, American U, JHU, and several others.
A - The Germantown / Gaithersburg / Rockville area is close enought to DC to afford easy commutes, but far enough to give you the suburban feel. The cost variances are dramatic depending on the area / community.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 12-18-2012 at 09:30 PM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
LeMansteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot View Post
A - I would pick the Germantown area or just north of it. Don't go rural (Boyds, Poolesville, Bealsville)
A - Germantown allows you to commute to U of MD, Gtwn, American U, JHU, and several others.
A - The Germantown / Gaithersburg / Rockville area is close enought to DC to afford easy commutes, but far enough to give you the suburban feel. The cost variances are dramatic depending on the area / community.
Thanks for the input. Only problem is, Germantown would be >50 miles to the Hagerstown office.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
m3racing

My Ride: Yamaha R6
Send a message via AIM to m3racing
I lived in Hagerstown for 20 years. That said I would not recommend the move. Alot of trash.

m3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
LeMansteve

Ended up not getting an offer, so I won't be moving to the Frederick area anytime soon. Thanks for all the advice, though.