E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #41
Nersa

My Ride: 325i m56 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhardinanE46 View Post
since my CEL is on, i was recommended to take care of the catalytic converter before i start throwing more parts at it as it could also be a possible culprit to all these symptoms.

BTW anyone got questions id reccomend going on youtube and checkin out askthecarexperts channel.
hey , this is my first post and idk if any of those guys are mechanics or know anything better than i do , but i have 325I M56 04 and yes the oil separator is in the engine it self, how do i know ? well i had the same problem no service engine light but car drives like S*** spent about 500 bucks trying to listen to what others said , came across a DIY for the CVV and took my intake and throttle body out to find out that i don't have one i asked the dealer and he made a quick phone call and told me its in the cover it self. they told me its the camshift sensor , you have two of them one on driver side front of engine , other is passenger side front of engine solved my problem by changing the one on my driver side (since the dealer pin pointed it ) im not telling you this is what it is but going to somebody other than the dealer himself is a waste of money and time trust me on this

i usually buy parts online and put the stuff in myself never paid anybody to touch my car
Nersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #42
chillinhardinanE46

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nersa View Post
hey , this is my first post and idk if any of those guys are mechanics or know anything better than i do , but i have 325I M56 04 and yes the oil separator is in the engine it self, how do i know ? well i had the same problem no service engine light but car drives like S*** spent about 500 bucks trying to listen to what others said , came across a DIY for the CVV and took my intake and throttle body out to find out that i don't have one i asked the dealer and he made a quick phone call and told me its in the cover it self. they told me its the camshift sensor , you have two of them one on driver side front of engine , other is passenger side front of engine solved my problem by changing the one on my driver side (since the dealer pin pointed it ) im not telling you this is what it is but going to somebody other than the dealer himself is a waste of money and time trust me on this

i usually buy parts online and put the stuff in myself never paid anybody to touch my car
p

thanks for posting. can you elborate on "the car ran like S***"? currently my car feels a bit slow on acceleration. vibration at idle. slight vibration some would call it normal but i know it didnt feel this way before. did th dealer pinpoint it over the phone?
i wuldnt mind letting the dealer pinpoint but theyre charging 350 for a simple smoke test i can get done for 1/3 of the price by a mechanic just as cetified.
chillinhardinanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #43
Nersa

Quote:
p

thanks for posting. can you elborate on "the car ran like S***"? currently my car feels a bit slow on acceleration. vibration at idle. slight vibration some would call it normal but i know it didnt feel this way before. did th dealer pinpoint it over the phone?
i wuldnt mind letting the dealer pinpoint but theyre charging 350 for a simple smoke test i can get done for 1/3 of the price by a mechanic just as cetified.
exactly same things happened to me , and no thats no normal vibration like everybody else has told you , i took my car in not over the phone and here they only charged me 130, im saying dont take it to a non bmw mech. because they will tell u what the problem is 60 % of the time and add extra s*** that has nothing to do with it ... this is just from my personal experience if you trust ur guy then your good to go my friend. beside they gave me a full report of what else is wrong with my car if there is something so if u think about it its not a big deal , as long as u r willing to do the job urself after ur buy the part..... the dealer told me he would fix it for 500 , i went and bought the sensor for 80 bucks and took me 1 hour of my time to put it in.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
chillinhardinanE46

quick side note.
I called BMW customer service this morning and they said they didnt see a 15year/ 150k warranty on my car when they looked it up. But i remember the dealer acknowledged it. wth????
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #45
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Yeah, like they're going to bust their chops and look real hard in order to have to spent lots of money on your old car!

Looks like you have a bit of internet research ahead of you to save the big bucks.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #46
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
quick side note.
I called BMW customer service this morning and they said they didnt see a 15year/ 150k warranty on my car when they looked it up. But i remember the dealer acknowledged it. wth????
The problem with BMW Customer service is they were in elementary school when the SULEV's came out, this coupled with the fact they have no technical automotive experience and are only trained to say one word, "No"!

Good luck!

If you search here on this forum you will find what you need. Its not that hard to find. You may also have to look no further than your glovebox as well?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
chillinhardinanE46

thanks for the encouragment jfoj and stinger. I did some more reading and decided to gile a complaint via a survey as well as email the general manager. About 2 o clock today i got a phone call from the dealership where i took my car and they wanted to see when i can take the car in to "get to the bottom of this".

I will also be taking with me the bulletin from the forums oficial M56 post as well as my owners manual with the sulev warranty info in it.

Last edited by chillinhardinanE46; 01-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #48
Stinger9

I think you're on the right track.
If they figure out a way to plant the seed of doubt, never concede their point on the spot. Tell them you'll have to think about it and come back here.
Because you are due this warranty fix.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #49
Nersa

Quote:
thanks for the encouragment jfoj and stinger. I did some more reading and decided to gile a complaint via a survey as well as email the general manager. About 2 o clock today i got a phone call from the dealership where i took my car and they wanted to see when i can take the car in to "get to the bottom of this".

I will also be taking with me the bulletin from the forums oficial M56 post as well as my owners manual with the sulev warranty info in it.
He told me it has a different coverage and its for any of those sealed tanked cars as long as ur local dealer authorized the fix ... Didn't care much cause my car has no problems in that matter so far but I was happy to hear what he said
Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #50
chillinhardinanE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I think you're on the right track.
If they figure out a way to plant the seed of doubt, never concede their point on the spot. Tell them you'll have to think about it and come back here.
Because you are due this warranty fix.
Im trying to make sure its the CAT before I go in as well. I spoke to the mechanic and he agreed to hook up his computer and show me exactly why he suspected my CAT was bad, not that i doubted his diagnosis, I just wanted reassurance. Will probably be doing this tomorrow after I fix a small oil leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nersa View Post
He told me it has a different coverage and its for any of those sealed tanked cars as long as ur local dealer authorized the fix ... Didn't care much cause my car has no problems in that matter so far but I was happy to hear what he said
That makes me feel a bit safer. Ill just have to talk to the dealer on sat when I take in my car.
BTW on solving your prob. Cant wait to solve mine lol
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #51
chillinhardinanE46

update

So since I noticed some oil leaking from somewhere near where the vanos meets the head I started to look yesterday but couldnt see much. I bought a small mirror (my buddy probably barrrowed my other one) so that i could take a better look. It looks like most of the oil is coming from where the exhaust cam sensor is at. So I think Nersa was right that its probably on of the cam sesnors. It has a some oil build up as well around the base of it and around its fastner. Is it possible that during one of the 2 times ive removed the vanos that i might have messed up the o ring or the somehow loosened the fastner to the exhaust cam sensor?

Is the fastener removed with an Allen wrench? I have read that if the sensor isnt seated right, it wont work properly. Maybe this is why im getting the vibrations at idle? Should I just replace the O ring and the fastener and see if that helps? I dont have a code for cam sensor.

Since its raining on an off Im a bit unsure if I should actually remove the vanos. I have a carport but its not enclosed. No water where the car is tho. Its pretty calm right now
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #52
Stinger9

Water won't hurt what your doing unless you leave the head open and the cabin air filter box removed. I always cover my engine with plastic when the head is open and the filter box is open.

It is entirely possible that a camshaft position sensor can leak oil right thru itself. If you're doing all the work to remove, I always throw a brand new oe part in. Don't want to come back and do the same job over.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #53
chillinhardinanE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Water won't hurt what your doing unless you leave the head open and the cabin air filter box removed. I always cover my engine with plastic when the head is open and the filter box is open.

It is entirely possible that a camshaft position sensor can leak oil right thru itself. If you're doing all the work to remove, I always throw a brand new oe part in. Don't want to come back and do the same job over.

I agree i always put plastic bags over my engine when exposed but something about it being very humid made me worry about water getting in or something. i know... a but over paranoid. So im just gonna wait till its sunny. I dis clean up the oil residue to try n pinpoint where the leak is from.

True i dont want to do this again.(4th time removing the vanos) but if ive got no codes for it i wuld rather spend money on something like my coolin system if the sensor is okay. i dont min buyin a sensor to ix my problem but im not sure the sensor is the problem. Thanks for the input. ill keep yu guys updated.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #54
chillinhardinanE46

What do you think?

So I was able to work on the car this weekend. I made sure everything was cleaned and seated well as well as torqued to spec.

During the process. I took a good look at the valve cover and noticed there was a lot of what looks like carbon build-up under the side where the CCV is. The pictures below show what Im talking about. Any suggestions as to what this could be from.. what could be causing this?

I would have liked to unscrew those bolts but I needed the car the next day and didnt want to possibly be stuck with out a car.

On another note. The dealer called me back. Said to bring in my car. They will have a definite diagnosis for me this time and they will take care of the bill. So ill keep yu guys posted on the whole CAT problem. Hopefully theyll tell me everything thats wronf with my car and not just confirm the CAT is bad(doubt it but well see right) .I will be taking the car in Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	488304   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	488305   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	488306  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #55
Stinger9

Ouch! That's one nasty looking valve cover.
I'd want to clean it off and change my oil regularly.

Look forward to the story of your upcoming dealer visit!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #56
chillinhardinanE46

Yea no kidding. Looks like the PO didn't do much for maintenance on the car. Ive done 2 oil changes so far once when I got the car and again just recently about 5k later. Used the BMW oil.

I felt like cleaning it... It was like tiny grains almost but I wasnt sure how to clean it without getting cleaner in the little cracks and crevices so I left it alone. I didnt want to possibly leave some residue behind and have it sealed in and get mixed round.

Ive even thought about opening it up an cleaning it all out since id imagine its all aluminum. I just dont wanna open it and not be able to put it back correctly for some odd reason.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #57
tech4tech

My Ride: e46, 325i
A good way to "clean" it would be to get the dealership to replace the valve cover and its built-in CCV under SULEV warranty. This is assuming the ccv is indeed broken
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #58
chillinhardinanE46

Yeaaa i would love to "clean it" that way lol but im gonna have a tough time convincing them its broken. I was thinking of showing the SA the pics or asking if they can brin a technician to look at the pic?

Anyhow. Tomorrow is the day I drop the car off with the dealership. I just hope they make up for the last time and at the bare minimun give me a correct diagnosis
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #59
chillinhardinanE46

Update

Well just a quick update.

I will be getting bank 2 cat replaced under emissions warranty

They have to order the part so I they will call me to bring the car back.

Oddly enough I did not have to mention the SULEV warranty

Not that im complaining.

Thank you guys for the info!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #60
tech4tech

My Ride: e46, 325i
Quote:
Well just a quick update.

I will be getting bank 2 cat replaced under emissions warranty

They have to order the part so I they will call me to bring the car back.

Oddly enough I did not have to mention the SULEV warranty

Not that im complaining.

Thank you guys for the info!
Congrats! Which dealership was this at if you're comfortable sharing that?
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote