E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #81
chillinhardinanE46

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Probably adds to the instability. If you can make it work without, probably best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Most likely to raise it. I wouldn't unless you had to - you risk making it more unstable.
My thoughts exactly. For some reason I dont trust it?

On another note.

I put some anti squeak compound on the back of my breaks. This is the first time i have touched the brakes on my vehicle. They have been squeaking since I got the car. They are much better now, however....

I noticed the driver side rotor did not have that the holding bolt
Im gonna order a new one along with my flange nuts.
Could this be the reason why i feel my car doesnt brake as good as others I have tried. My brakes still have a lot of life left in em. Im not sure what brand they are as they came with the car. Maybe just cheap brakes?

Lastly.. I thought I got rid of the leak at the front of my engine, but it came back. Not as bad this time. Could it be that I just did not put the vanos stud bolt all the way in? Maybe I should have used locktite on the stud? To be honest im not exactly wsure where its coming from but theres no sign of it being the VCG as its a bit lower and there does seem to bee any trails of oil leading to where the dropplet was. The droplet was towards the bottom of the vanos unit. Ill have to take the fan off and inspect it this week.
chillinhardinanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #82
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinhardinanE46 View Post
My thoughts exactly. For some reason I dont trust it?

On another note.

I put some anti squeak compound on the back of my breaks. This is the first time i have touched the brakes on my vehicle. They have been squeaking since I got the car. They are much better now, however....

I noticed the driver side rotor did not have that the holding bolt
Im gonna order a new one along with my flange nuts.
Could this be the reason why i feel my car doesnt brake as good as others I have tried. My brakes still have a lot of life left in em. Im not sure what brand they are as they came with the car. Maybe just cheap brakes?

Lastly.. I thought I got rid of the leak at the front of my engine, but it came back. Not as bad this time. Could it be that I just did not put the vanos stud bolt all the way in? Maybe I should have used locktite on the stud? To be honest im not exactly wsure where its coming from but theres no sign of it being the VCG as its a bit lower and there does seem to bee any trails of oil leading to where the dropplet was. The droplet was towards the bottom of the vanos unit. Ill have to take the fan off and inspect it this week.
Rotor hold down bolt won't have an impact on braking performance. Probably cheap pads.

Which side of the engine? Could be OFHG or VANOS line.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #83
chillinhardinanE46

Well i might as well get my use out of em. Im looking at cool carbon once these go out. Im also considering flushing the brake fluid. It propably old. I have a feeling the PO did 0 maintenance.

I recently did the OFHG and that side of my leak is gone. Im thinking it has to be where the VANOS meets the engine block. I will recheck the VANOS line but im pretty sure that side of the engine looked cleam. I looks like the leak is a bit lower than that. The oil will create droplets at the lowest points of the VANOS unit. One part that is directly above the bend of the lower radiator hose and another droplet is below (near) the electrical connection for the VANOS exhaust solenoid.

Im gonna try any confirm where its coming from this tuesday.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #84
briangl92

Quote:
Well i might as well get my use out of em. Im looking at cool carbon once these go out. Im also considering flushing the brake fluid. It propably old. I have a feeling the PO did 0 maintenance.

I recently did the OFHG and that side of my leak is gone. Im thinking it has to be where the VANOS meets the engine block. I will recheck the VANOS line but im pretty sure that side of the engine looked cleam. I looks like the leak is a bit lower than that. The oil will create droplets at the lowest points of the VANOS unit. One part that is directly above the bend of the lower radiator hose and another droplet is below (near) the electrical connection for the VANOS exhaust solenoid.

Im gonna try any confirm where its coming from this tuesday.
Brake fluid could also be part of it.

Usually, from what I've heard, VCG leaks are on the other side.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #85
chillinhardinanE46

Quote:
Brake fluid could also be part of it.

Usually, from what I've heard, VCG leaks are on the other side.
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked all the spots you mentioned and they looked pretty dry

So i got my little mirror out and it seems to me that its gonna be my exhaust CPS o-ring. There was an oil droplet on the lowest tip of the plastic part of the CPS. Everything above that point looked pretty clean. Right below this is the VANOS exhaust solenoid so it makes sense why I saw the oil there first. I hope this is it cuz id hate to have to remove the vanos again. (Doubt this since from what I could see, it looked dry where the VANOS meets the engine, but...... you never know)

Luckily I have these parts at home(O-ring and fastener)! Ill change it out tuesday or even today if i get a chance.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #86
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Just keep in mind CPS has been known to leak thru the socket electrical connection. May need more than an O-ring.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #87
briangl92

Thinking about it, I've heard of one case of the CPS being covered under warranty
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #88
chillinhardinanE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Just keep in mind CPS has been known to leak thru the socket electrical connection. May need more than an O-ring.

Thanks for that little info.

Im gonna try and replace o-ring and fasntener and see how it goes. If it keeps leaking, Ill just have to buy the CPS.

Quote:
Thinking about it, I've heard of one case of the CPS being covered under warranty
Really?

Ill have to do some reading, but Im not sure ill go that route.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #89
briangl92

Quote:
Really?

Ill have to do some reading, but Im not sure ill go that route.
I believe so, but I'd agree that it would be more trouble than it's worth taking it to the dealer.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #90
chillinhardinanE46

Quote:
I believe so, but I'd agree that it would be more trouble than it's worth taking it to the dealer.
Im still tracking down the source of the leak

I was able to drop in some new motor mounts yesterday after work.

Its the best thing in the world to roll up to a stop sign or stop light and have a smooth idle w/ no vibrations

Driver side motor mount came out in two pieces! The top had separated from the bottom

Passenger side was just really compressed.

(Is this normal wear pattern? Im only asking because I was hit by a lady trying to change into my lane who says she did not see me. The damage wasnt bad but im wondering if the force of her car hitting mine from the side could have caused this seperation. Im also wondering why the eff the autobody shop didnt catch the broken mount!!! All they were worried about was getting me an alignment)

Just a tip for anyone attempting this..

When putting in the passenger side motor mount. Its easier to open the little door where the oil drain plug sits under the car and put it through the hole to seat it in place. Or, you could just remove that whole plate.

Last edited by chillinhardinanE46; 02-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #91
briangl92

Quote:
Im still tracking down the source of the leak

I was able to drop in some new motor mounts yesterday after work.

Its the best thing in the world to roll up to a stop sign or stop light and have a smooth idle w/ no vibrations

Driver side motor mount came out in two pieces! The top had separated from the bottom

Passenger side was just really compressed.

(Is this normal wear pattern? Im only asking because I was hit by a lady trying to change into my lane who says she did not see me. The damage wasnt bad but im wondering if the force of her car hitting mine from the side could have caused this seperation. Im also wondering why the eff the autobody shop didnt catch the broken mount!!! All they were worried about was getting me an alignment)

Just a tip for anyone attempting this..

When putting in the passenger side motor mount. Its easier to open the little door where the oil drain plug sits under the car and put it through the hole to seat it in place. Or, you could just remove that whole plate.
It's so much better, right? I was over joyed when I swapped mine. The vibration at idle was annoying the hell out of me. Which mounts did you go with?

It would have to be a pretty big accident to separate the engine mount. Most likely it's just wear. They're rubber oil-filled bushings, like the FCABs. Mine hadn't started leaking yet but where collapsed. So much so that the engine was vibrating against a heat shield under load.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #92
chillinhardinanE46

Quote:
It's so much better, right? I was over joyed when I swapped mine. The vibration at idle was annoying the hell out of me. Which mounts did you go with?

It would have to be a pretty big accident to separate the engine mount. Most likely it's just wear. They're rubber oil-filled bushings, like the FCABs. Mine hadn't started leaking yet but where collapsed. So much so that the engine was vibrating against a heat shield under load.
Its a lot better!
No more annoying vibrations

I went with the OEM mounts. I saw your suggestion about the upgrade for the mounts but I like the OEM feel.

The driver side mount top part had separated exposing a hole where you could see the dark brown liquid moving around inside the bottom half
Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #93
briangl92

Quote:
Its a lot better!
No more annoying vibrations

I went with the OEM mounts. I saw your suggestion about the upgrade for the mounts but I like the OEM feel.

The driver side mount top part had separated exposing a hole where you could see the dark brown liquid moving around inside the bottom half
Nice Now on to find that oil leak!

Last edited by briangl92; 02-23-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #94
MMMGP

My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
Just wanted to add... I recently replaced the VANOS seals on my M56 wagon (120K miles) and found the same oil pooling at the VC intake tube plus also have the same crusty crud on the underside of the valve cover. No codes.

Last edited by MMMGP; 05-20-2013 at 10:00 AM.
MMMGP is offline   Reply With Quote