E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #21
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhit View Post
Your question about my driving habits is a really good one, because as you noted that will affect consumption. But no I haven't altered my driving at all. I do believe that the improvement in consumption that I am experiencing is a result of the MOA. However, as I alluded to before, I am working off of limited data at this time, and won't make any absolute conclusions until I have more complete data.

So far I have added the MOA at a 3000 mile interval. This interval works out to maintain a reasonable concentration of MOA with respect to the rate at which I am consuming oil, without exceeding BG's recommendation of MOA to oil ratio. Looking ahead, I will most likely just add a can during my regular oil change and then 1 more between my 7500 mile oil change interval...however this should all be adjusted for individual rate of consumption...

I never did get a compression test; deemed it would be inconclusive and thus not worth the expense...
Excellent, thank you for the information. Last question, what kind of oil have you continued to use with the BG MOA additive? I'm currently running OEM 5W-30, however, I'd like to also switch to a thicker oil to also assist in slowing the rate of consumption, possibly a 0W-40. I'll also ask my technician this question, but I'd just like to know what other people are running in their E46s.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #22
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
Hello I am also a part of the mysterious oil losing club. Except this time I lost about a qt in 200 miles. Which is usually around 700-900 miles. I am thinking its the piston rings as their was an oil drip from the exhaust manifolds today after I shut the car down, and burning oil smell/and souund, and a lil smoke coming from that area. Also black soot in the exhaust pipe. Am I screwed, taking it to the mechanic tomorow to see what he thinks.
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
mikhit

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
You can do a compression test yourself with a cheap gauge. Simple; I did it when I was 17 yo. Easy DIY.
True. I was prepared to do it myself, and will probably still do it sometime in the future, but at this point only out of curiosity.

I was previously talked out of it due to the fact that it may not reveal the issue.
mikhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
mikhit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Excellent, thank you for the information. Last question, what kind of oil have you continued to use with the BG MOA additive? I'm currently running OEM 5W-30, however, I'd like to also switch to a thicker oil to also assist in slowing the rate of consumption, possibly a 0W-40. I'll also ask my technician this question, but I'd just like to know what other people are running in their E46s.
I have always used only BMW 5W-30, with a 7500 mile oil change interval.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #25
mikhit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
Hello I am also a part of the mysterious oil losing club. Except this time I lost about a qt in 200 miles. Which is usually around 700-900 miles. I am thinking its the piston rings as their was an oil drip from the exhaust manifolds today after I shut the car down, and burning oil smell/and souund, and a lil smoke coming from that area. Also black soot in the exhaust pipe. Am I screwed, taking it to the mechanic tomorow to see what he thinks.
The oil drips on the exhaust manifold and burning oil smell are textbook VCG leak. Take care of the VCG and check the rest of the engine for leaks, specifically the OFHG and vanos line.

Of course theres no guarantee that leaks are your only issue. 1 qt/ 200 miles is really excessive. But for now take care of the leaks, make sure the engine is completely dry and monitor consumption.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #26
klax

My Ride: '04 325i
I'd have to agree with Stinger: A lot depends on how the engine was broken in during the first thousand miles or so. I closely followed the manual after purchase (new) and at 130,000 miles I currently have zero oil consumption.

mikhit,

Great information on the BG product! It's nice to see someone impart information so well.

Last edited by klax; 12-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.
klax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
The oil drips on the exhaust manifold and burning oil smell are textbook VCG leak. Take care of the VCG and check the rest of the engine for leaks, specifically the OFHG and vanos line.

Of course theres no guarantee that leaks are your only issue. 1 qt/ 200 miles is really excessive. But for now take care of the leaks, make sure the engine is completely dry and monitor consumption.
I litterally just changed vcg...it is not leaking the vcg metal guards are completely dry. I have a slight ofhg leak but not enough to cause this much loss...i need some real advice...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
I litterally just changed vcg...it is not leaking the vcg metal guards are completely dry. I have a slight ofhg leak but not enough to cause this much loss...i need some real advice...
If you list the VCG, the OFHG, the CVV system, the oil pan gasket, the valve stems, and the oil rings, then you've pretty much got it all covered.
Systematically explore each until you find the guilty party.

Have you removed the engine shield underneath to see if there are any traces at all?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
zuckuss00

Quote:
True. I was prepared to do it myself, and will probably still do it sometime in the future, but at this point only out of curiosity.

I was previously talked out of it due to the fact that it may not reveal the issue.
Like someone else mentioned, a compression test wont really reveal too much. If you're interested in oil blow by, a cylinder leak down test will possible isolate the problem to a single cylinder/piston. Even then, its just information. Having the piston rings replaced would be a very costly repair. I'd rather trade the car then pay a few thousand dollars for that repair. Let's hope for our sake and for our wallets, this BG MOA product works. I can't wait to give it a try and track it.

Quote:
Don't forget to let us know what happens!

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
If you list the VCG, the OFHG, the CVV system, the oil pan gasket, the valve stems, and the oil rings, then you've pretty much got it all covered.
Systematically explore each until you find the guilty party.

Have you removed the engine shield underneath to see if there are any traces at all?
I went under the car today and saw the oil pan on the drivers side looked pretty oil, and the control arm seemed to be coated with some soot. Anyway to tell if its ccv? I dont want to go replacing things that dont need replacing. Thanks for the info. By oil rings do you mean the piston rings?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Like someone else mentioned, a compression test wont really reveal too much. If you're interested in oil blow by, a cylinder leak down test will possible isolate the problem to a single cylinder/piston. Even then, its just information. Having the piston rings replaced would be a very costly repair. I'd rather trade the car then pay a few thousand dollars for that repair. Let's hope for our sake and for our wallets, this BG MOA product works. I can't wait to give it a try and track it.

Don't forget to let us know what happens!
Will do! Where do you get this bg moa product? And how does it help with the piston rings?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #32
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
For what it's worth as a point of reference, my 02 325Ci runs OEM oil/filter changed around every 7500 miles. In that time period, I might burn through only half a quart of oil or less. The car has 108k miles.

I have replaced my oil filter housing gasket, which was leaking and causing oil dripping down the drivers side of the motor onto the oil pan. Also I replaced the Oil separator and all components, as the oil return line was seeping and brittle. But even when those were leaking, I never lost more then half a quart.

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 12-17-2012 at 10:38 PM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
I went under the car today and saw the oil pan on the drivers side looked pretty oil, and the control arm seemed to be coated with some soot. Anyway to tell if its ccv? I dont want to go replacing things that dont need replacing. Thanks for the info. By oil rings do you mean the piston rings?
To answer your question, go back and read the information in my post #11 in this thread. Worth reading.
You need to clean off the leak under your car and then examine it frequently to track down exactly what is leaking.
Check out youtube for the e46 CVV test. But there is no substitute for eyes on the hoses to see if there are any cracks or leaks there.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Will do! Where do you get this bg moa product? And how does it help with the piston rings?
I have been using BG products for the last 10yrs. It was first recommended to me by BMW of Columbus, GA.

U can find BG products online but they are very expensive. However, if u search on eBay u can score a great deal. I paid $250 for 24 cans of BG 44K which is a steal. 44K cost around $15-20 and MOA cost around $5-10

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355803835130.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	482515  

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-17-2012 at 11:11 PM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #35
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Here is 44k

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1355803930749.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	482516  
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #36
zuckuss00

^ That's awesome!

I'm just going to order some off ebay as well.

The dealer in my area wants $20 per can. On Ebay its about $10.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #37
hizhinezz

My Ride: 01 330i
Just ordered 4 cans off eBay delivered for $35!

Thanks much to OP and others for info, been watching oil consumption for a while and very little info on improving this issue vs just living with it!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #38
zuckuss00

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
Just ordered 4 cans off eBay delivered for $35!

Thanks much to OP and others for info, been watching oil consumption for a while and very little info on improving this issue vs just living with it!
I really hope it makes a noticeable difference in the consumption rate. Fixing an internal oil consumption problem, like I mentioned before, is $$$. If this BG MOA product helps improve my consumption from one quart per ~700 miles to about ~1400-2000 miles, I'd be more than happy. That's almost normal spec for a M54.

I'm going to try this product, along with switching from OEM 5W-30 to a heavier 10W-40 and continue to record the progress.

Last edited by zuckuss00; 12-18-2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #39
asma123

My Ride: 330ci
I was having the same problem. I was burning roughly 1L/800KM - TERRIBLE...
Anyway, I started experimenting with oils. 0w10 european formulae. It didn't improve until I changed to the CASTROL 10W40 edge with spt. (http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...-10w40_300.jpg)
The improvement took a little while and was slowly but it's still improving.
Initially it started out as
1L/1000KM. Topped off and it improved 1L/1200km. Topped off again 1L/1500km. NEXT I went for a long drive ~ roughly 400km drive. This time the oil lasted me about 1L/2500km. I thought great it's improving quite a bit but then it was highway drive. came back to city and light came on. I topped it off again it lasted roughly 1L/1500km. It kinda made sense that less was burnt in the highway and more in the city.
I just recently did an oil change. So far it's been 1500km. Fingers crossed. So far so good. Engine felt great today when I drove her so we'll see how long she lasts till she's thirsty again.
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #40
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma123 View Post
I was having the same problem. I was burning roughly 1L/800KM - TERRIBLE...
Anyway, I started experimenting with oils. 0w10 european formulae. It didn't improve until I changed to the CASTROL 10W40 edge with spt. (http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...-10w40_300.jpg)
The improvement took a little while and was slowly but it's still improving.
Initially it started out as
1L/1000KM. Topped off and it improved 1L/1200km. Topped off again 1L/1500km. NEXT I went for a long drive ~ roughly 400km drive. This time the oil lasted me about 1L/2500km. I thought great it's improving quite a bit but then it was highway drive. came back to city and light came on. I topped it off again it lasted roughly 1L/1500km. It kinda made sense that less was burnt in the highway and more in the city.
I just recently did an oil change. So far it's been 1500km. Fingers crossed. So far so good. Engine felt great today when I drove her so we'll see how long she lasts till she's thirsty again.
What kind of speeds were you doing on the highway? Is there any relationship between speed and consumption in your experience?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote