E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

View Poll Results: should firearms be banned/regulated?
Yes 11 6.51%
Fvck No 100 59.17%
There should be more regulations but not taken away completely 36 21.30%
I dont care 4 2.37%
I agree with JonJon 18 10.65%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #81
naMKaren

My Ride: 2001 330i
Might be stirring the hornets nest but honestly guys, what's the real need for guns in the US?

I hear protection is the common answer.

In Australia, we have shootings and etc. too but it tends to be between those involved in criminal activity rather than the average citizen. Other than gangsters, those who live on farms or rural properties, the average person has no need for a gun, why do you guys (or the gun advocates) think you do?
naMKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #82
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
It's not about what kind of rifle it is look at the incident in China. A guy attacked with a knife. I'm personally against gun ownership period. It's my opinion, get over it.
I'm personally against sport bike ownership, it's my opinion, get over it.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #83
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
I agree.

But Po (I'm sure he'll sound off if I'm misrepresenting his point) was only pointing out that tock172's assertion that "no one can tell him what he can own" just isn't reality. No society functions that way.

You called him a lemming, which I think was unfair given the fact that he's absolutely correct that a functioning society means striking a balance between your right to own big honkin' guns, and your neighbor's right to not get shot.

Don't you earn your burger by making sure people are operating within the limitations of their rights? LOL You MUST understand that rights and freedoms are a delicate balance of compromises.
I understand his very basic point, but I'm arguing that we already have a balance....

...and that balance is tipping in favor of more government involvement (..i.e...imbalance).

My neighbor's right to not get shot is irrelevant when Lil' Tito decides that his days are numbered. I'm not the one he has to fear.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #84
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by naMKaren View Post
Might be stirring the hornets nest but honestly guys, what's the real need for guns in the US?

In Australia, we have shootings and etc. too but it tends to be between those involved in criminal activity rather than the average citizen. Other than gangsters, those who live on farms or rural properties, the average person has no need for a gun, why do you guys (or the gun advocates) think you do?
A real reason?

For a lot of us, we go hunting for some of our own food, including me. I've done bow hunting, but it's much more difficult and when you only have so many days out of the year to bag game, you want to be sure you can kill effectively and precisely.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 12-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #85
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:

I'm using my previous post to answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Yes, I absolutely could. See this thread for reference on why.

5 Years of data will be collected on US Civilians to look for "Suspicious behavior"

The intent of weaponry and the 2nd amendment wasn't just personal defense, but civil defense. Our founding fathers were well aware of the effects of an oppressive governing body.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #86
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:

You don't really need much...but that guy that owns a farm and deer are eating a ton of his corn making him lose a lot of his crops and in turn not be able to feed his family. He wants the best tool available to get the deer away( a gun), unless you want to run and chase the deer with a stick and if you can catch them you have lots of my respect.

I own guns for a few reasons:
It's my right
Hunting
It's a damn fun sport(trap/skeet shooting, 3 gun competitions, pistol comps, long range comps)
Protection, if somebody is going to threaten my family in the middle of the night I don't want to be a helpless victim( I was before when I was about 13 one of our stores got robbed by a criminal, who tried to shoot a customer luckily the gun misfired, I ran and hid, I want to be able to protect myself next time). It also can take a damn long time for police to respond(they are plenty busy usually) plus I dont want to gamble I actually get somebody I trust showing up(like a reedo or mongrel) vs our resident morons mr executioner cop, or the officer I ran into in a pawn shop who didn't even know how to take his duty weapon apart.
It's a fun hobby to enjoy with family, There aren't a lot of hobbies that any and all age groups can enjoy together shooting is one of them IMO.

That evil black scary looking rifle is so popular because like our bmws is easy to modify and customize to make fit you perfectly, they are fun to build IMO.

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 12-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #87
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I'm using my previous post to answer your question.
And this too. Everyone has their personal reasons for firearm ownership.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #88
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintluk2 View Post
I don't think you need to ban guns. Just increase the requirements for obtaining a license. Put in a $3,000 license fee (other costs not included). Increase background checks to immediate family members and enforce adequate storage responsibilities for increased risk license holders. How does that look ?
So what you're saying is that you don't have the cajones to support an actual ban, so you support a roundabout ban through a tax?

Also, why would the background check extend to immediate family? I, for example, am estranged from one immediate family member and see no reason her issues should limit me from exercising my rights. Care to explain how this would actually work?

Perhaps we could also institute poll taxes and literacy tests for voting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #89
dwass325

Quote:

Just to give one example, I live in a major metropolitan area, take public transportation the vast majority of the time, and often wear suits. My train stop is one of the lower traffic stops and does not have law enforcement patrolling (like some of the major stops have).

There are times when I feel like a sitting duck, especially if I am traveling home late, wearing a suit. My area is not especially high crime, but it's not unusual for someone to come up from a rougher area to rob someone from my area.

Given the ability to carry a small concealed firearm, I absolutely would.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #90
naMKaren

I suppose you can be much of a gun enthusiast as you are a BMW enthusiast.

I totally understand the reasoning for those who need to keep the animals away from their crops. I also see the point of protection as well, it's either you or him/her (whoever is threatening you).

In Australia, we had a similar massacre shooting at Port Arthur that led to the banning of semi-automatic rifles. As far as I know, it's had a positive response - but that was probably down to a change of attitudes to guns. The thought of another massacre outweighed the individual needs for a high powered rifle and most over here would agree.

Good luck to you guys though, it's not an easy thing to give up - your right to anything. But one has to think about the long term effect of protecting this right, there's the argument for standing up for your rights but at what cost? Does the end result justify that fight?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #91
naMKaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Just to give one example, I live in a major metropolitan area, take public transportation the vast majority of the time, and often wear suits. My train stop is one of the lower traffic stops and does not have law enforcement patrolling (like some of the major stops have).

There are times when I feel like a sitting duck, especially if I am traveling home late, wearing a suit. My area is not especially high crime, but it's not unusual for someone to come up from a rougher area to rob someone from my area.

It's unfortunate you guys live in such environments where the thought of carrying a gun needs to exist. I think the problems there are well more higher than just guns.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #92
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
Quote:

FACT: In the first two years after Australian gun-owners were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms, government statistics showed a dramatic increase in criminal activity. In 2001-2002, homicides were up another 20%.

FACT: Despite having much stricter gun control than New Zealand (including a near ban on handguns) firearm homicides in both countries track one another over 25 years, indicating that gun control is not a control variable.

FACT:Gun crimes have been rising throughout Australia since guns were banned. In Sydney alone, robbery rates with guns rose 160% in 2001, more in the previous year.

You can see gun control has worked in your country. It hasnt.

Secondly, Mexico has the most strict gun laws in the Western Hemisphere, and look how many people are killed there from brutal drug and gang wars. The people have no way to protect themselfs, and as such, are pawns.

If guns are outlawed, Only outlaws will have guns. They don't care about laws.

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #93
bigugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post

Hey you have to click your heals though, Illinois just passed the right to carry, which is HUGE for that state! That means all 50 states now have a right to carry. Excellent!

Last edited by bigugly; 12-16-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #94
bimmerfan08

We are also a much larger country with more crimes...

Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #95
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
why do you guys (or the gun advocates) think you do?
Guns are big business. The biggest gun lobbying group in the US realizes that the best way to sell more guns is to create a fearful and fanatical base of customers and fight all legislation that might result in a decrease in the number of guns sold.

If you dig through the comments on a typical gun thread, most of the pro gun comments are merely talking points from NRA literature.

Conspicuously absent is any real strategy or interest in curbing illegal gun sales. Guess why? Every illegal gun sale is another sale. Every "stolen" weapon is another gun that will need to be replaced. There's no incentive among the sellers and manufacturers to cut down on black market sales. Secondary to that, the bigger the black market is for guns, the more incentive for law abiding citizens to... buy more guns!

It's really kind of amusing how different the NRA is from a group whose main goal is to promote responsible firearm ownership.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #96
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigugly View Post
Hey you have to click your heals thought, Illinois just passed the right to carry, which is HUGE for that state! That means all 50 states now have a right to carry. Excellent!
I am very pleased with that court decision. Now it's just time to see how much Rahm and Madigan try to stand in the way.

I was surprised to see how much those baby 1911s from Springfield Armory cost though

Quote:

Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #97
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
The problem is,responsible gun owners aren't commiting crimes with thier weapons,it is the criminals,or mentally unstable. Those limited few should not ruin the freedoms of an entire nation,especially since without respect for the law,the criminals will not be affected by any ban,tax,or laws. The biggest outcome would likely be responsible,innocent people going to jail so they can be made an example of in the media for not turning in,or registering thier guns.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #98
dwass325

Quote:
It's unfortunate you guys live in such environments where the thought of carrying a gun needs to exist. I think the problems there are well more higher than just guns.
If I may also remind you, my city has 1/10 of Australia's population and my state has 1/2. There is not necessarily a 1:1 comparison between your country and mine.

Quote:

Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #99
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Guns are big business. The biggest gun lobbying group in the US realizes that the best way to sell more guns is to create a fearful and fanatical base of customers and fight all legislation that might result in a decrease in the number of guns sold.

If you dig through the comments on a typical gun thread, most of the pro gun comments are merely talking points from NRA literature.

Conspicuously absent is any real strategy or interest in curbing illegal gun sales. Guess why? Every illegal gun sale is another sale. Every "stolen" weapon is another gun that will need to be replaced. There's no incentive among the sellers and manufacturers to cut down on black market sales. Secondary to that, the bigger the black market is for guns, the more incentive for law abiding citizens to... buy more guns!

It's really kind of amusing how different the NRA is from a group whose main goal is to promote responsible firearm ownership.
Same can be said for cars and many other tangible goods we as consumers buy.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #100
bigugly

That is COMPLETELY not the gun to carry, IMO. I have a bunch of 1911's, and while I love them and think they have a soul, I don't carry them for CCW. A compact (almost) anything modern will be light years ahead of a compact 1911 when it comes to capacity and reliability. I daily carry a xdsc 9mm, personally. When it becomes winter time and I can wear a jacket I carry a full size 9mm or 45acp XD.

I have a Kimber ultra carry, and its a snappy little hotrod, and runs pretty good for a 1911, but with 7+1, my xdsc carries 13+1. I compete with it in IDPA and can hold my own very well with it. Plus, a 1911 isn't gonna go over 300-400 rounds without a malfunction, while most any modern gun will do thousands before malfunction.

Last edited by bigugly; 12-16-2012 at 06:40 PM.