E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

View Poll Results: should firearms be banned/regulated?
Yes 11 6.51%
Fvck No 100 59.17%
There should be more regulations but not taken away completely 36 21.30%
I dont care 4 2.37%
I agree with JonJon 18 10.65%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #1001
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
maybe your bank was slow. The longest delay in my wife buying our house was her picking out the right one. The rest was just a matter of signing papers. If all it took was a criminal background check, it would have taken a few minutes at most.

What kind of background check do you want for a gun purchase other than making sure they don't have a criminal record?

I'm really not sure what your point is, and why you're comparing buying a gun to buying a house.
You understand my point perfectly fine. If the bank deems you're a risky asset to them for whatever reason, they have the right to cancel your mortgage application at any point during the process, most of which happens during underwriting. Up to that point, they do a lot of things. They check your credentials, your employment history, credit history, you want me to list all?

Why does it sound unreasonable to you, that if somebody is found to be a risky asset to the society, they should be denied access to guns?

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #1002
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I absolutely am having trouble understanding your posts.
I know, you didn't have to answer that.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #1003
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
And why on earth do you think a criminal background check should take so long to complete?

They're using a computer to check online records.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #1004
SeanC

Quote:
And why on earth do you think a criminal background check should take so long to complete?

They're using a computer to check online records.
Wow, they are using a computer to check online records! How cool.

What about off-line records?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #1005
NOVAbimmer

You said you wanted to ensure criminals aren't buying guns from FFLs. What other checks do you want done other than a criminal background check?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #1006
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post

how about mid-line records? How about Puff Daddy Records?

We could go about this all day, Hass. Don't test me.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1007
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
1. That's not a clause in any insurance policy I've ever seen. And I'm asking about the damage that the car thief causes. Why should I be held liable if someone steals my car and causes damage? You may as well just hold me liable for any speeding tickets the thief gets in my car as well.
Agreed. With the exception of some very specialized policies, I can't recall a single policy that has a clause or exclusion for pre-loss contributory negligence. And those policies don't sell well because there are numerous options in the market that don't include such terms.

Given that auto policies are admitted products and subject to review from the DOI, I have a hard time believing these policies exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #1008
NOVAbimmer

Quote:

What about them? Do we need to send someone to every county and city in the US to ensure that there are no "offline records" out there?

Maybe instead of wasting money sending people to check the backwards courts, those courts should be mandated to bring themselves up to the 1990's.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #1009
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
This is really the only 'control' or reform I'm interested in seeing. I don't think it will have an immediate effect but over time it would reduce the availability of firearms to people that shouldn't have them. It may have helped prevent the CT tragedy. I say this because mom wouldn't have been legally allowed to keep her guns unlocked - and any attempt by the son to get unauthorized access would have been more obvious and maybe clued her in that he was planning something.

I'm puzzled as to why groups that say they support responsible ownership don't push for this. My guess is the financial backers realize every stolen gun represents the potential to sell a new one. With 500,000 guns stolen annually in the US that is no small source of new gun sales.
So how would this have been a deterrent then? Considering the mother was murdered by the same son who shot up the school.

See, nothing is ever perfect and concrete. Punish the owner? Well, they are dead. Next of kin? Dead too. So the answer is take it out on the general public?

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #1010
SeanC

Quote:
You said you wanted to ensure criminals aren't buying guns from FFLs. What other checks do you want done other than a criminal background check?
Non-criminal background check. There should/must be a way to obtain some kind of information on somebody's adaptability to society without violating their privacy. Even when it did violate their privacy (patriot act), most right wing nuts didn't seem to care, because it made them feel safer.

Last edited by SeanC; 12-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #1011
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
how about mid-line records? How about Puff Daddy Records?

We could go about this all day, Hass. Don't test me.
k

Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #1012
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Non-criminal background check. There should/must be a way to obtain some kind of information on somebody's adaptability to society without violating their privacy. Even when it did violate their privacy most right wing nuts didn't seem to care, because it made them feel safer.
And now you're getting into a subjective psych interview. Which, if you've never been through that or a polygraph, is most definitely an invasion of privacy.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #1013
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Reality is, remove all guns or leave all guns alone.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #1014
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
So how would this have been a deterrent then? Considering the mother was murdered by the same son who shot up the school.

See, nothing is ever perfect and concrete. Punish the owner? Well, they are dead. Next of kin? Dead too. So the answer is take it out on the general public?

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Think just a little further outside the box on occasion. What I'm saying is if mom was in the habit of controlling access to her guns, she'd have been more likely to notice her son trying to gain unauthorized access.

It would be great if gun owners would take it on themselves to be stewards and protectors of their guns, but for whatever reason they choose not to. Gun thefts outnumber car stereo thefts! Which is pretty amazing considering most people have several car stereos, and leave them out in their cars unprotected at night.

We're at the point where too many people have access to guns they do not legally own. While I wish we didn't need to legislate it, owners are in denial and refuse to take responsibility.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #1015
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

lol you're actually a crazy person. Maybe we could require interviews where bureaucrats can decide who is worthy of gun ownership? Maybe DNA testing? Crossfit WODs?

Oh maybe we should measure their dicks to make sure they aren't too small, thereby negating the need for them to overcompensate!

You're really smart.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #1016
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
lol you're actually a crazy person. Maybe we could require interviews where bureaucrats can decide who is worthy of gun ownership? Maybe DNA testing? Crossfit WODs?

Oh maybe we should measure their dicks to make sure they aren't too small, thereby negating the need for them to overcompensate!

You're really smart.
You're smarter than me. Dat dick argument... What more can I say? Touche!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #1017
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Do you want your neighbor to shoot on his property?
Not everyone lives in a city or the burbs.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #1018
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:

What the heck are you even talking about? They're not checking online records as in, things you've posted on your Facebook.
They're doing a federal background check.
There's really not much else you can do to gauge a complete strangers ability to mentally and legally handle a gun.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #1019
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Basics View Post
Only thing I want to add to this "discussion" - you guys who are talking about having guns to protect yourself from the government, you're assuming we (the military) would follow orders to go to war with American civilians.

I wouldn't, nor would any other soldiers I know. We're Americans too, as are our families. Same team, so relax with the civil war scenarios. Police may be another story, but the line between military and LE is pretty thin anyway.

For the record, I'm pro gun ownership.
Thanks for your service.

Don't underestimate the ability of what starts as a somewhat reasonable situation to get out of hand. Or underestimate how ugly a situation would have to be already before military units were deployed. Or how complex (your unit is deployed in order to protect one group of Americans from another group of Americans and it escalates rapidly) it could be and how crappy intel and incompetent leadership could get things fubared in a hurry.

And even though it was a long time ago, this country has fought a Civil War already. How many years before the secessation of the South would we have to go to find the professional soldiers of the US military making the same statement you're making, that they'd never make war of fellow Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
The mass killing record for this Nation did not make use of any firearm. It happened in 1927, and the killer blew up the entire classroom. How do you propose to stop that? The fact that 20 children were murdered is a horrible thing. The fact that thousands are aborted every year is not newsworthy. Something wrong with that one too. Murder is murder. You can paint it with a different color if you wish, but their little lives are taken nonetheless.
If you want to have an abortion discussion, do it somewhere else. This is not the thread for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
This is really the only 'control' or reform I'm interested in seeing. I don't think it will have an immediate effect but over time it would reduce the availability of firearms to people that shouldn't have them. It may have helped prevent the CT tragedy. I say this because mom wouldn't have been legally allowed to keep her guns unlocked - and any attempt by the son to get unauthorized access would have been more obvious and maybe clued her in that he was planning something.

I'm puzzled as to why groups that say they support responsible ownership don't push for this. My guess is the financial backers realize every stolen gun represents the potential to sell a new one. With 500,000 guns stolen annually in the US that is no small source of new gun sales.
Honestly, its still not a solution. IIRC, mom took wacko son to the range, right? The practical implications of her keeping the guns secure from someone that lives with her and she's showing how to shoot with her guns just turns into a mess.

I get what you're trying to accomplish, I just don't see this preventing a Sandy Hook.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #1020
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

If you want to have an abortion discussion, do it somewhere else. This is not the thread for it.

Says who? We are discussing the murder of children, so it's fair game. Just because it makes you uncomfortable calling abortion murder does not make it less that murder.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote