E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

View Poll Results: should firearms be banned/regulated?
Yes 11 6.51%
Fvck No 100 59.17%
There should be more regulations but not taken away completely 36 21.30%
I dont care 4 2.37%
I agree with JonJon 18 10.65%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #1081
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Very true. I've been amazed at how many people don't know what "semi-automatic" actually means.
It's typically ALWAYS the anti-gunner organizations (Ceasefire, Brady, Bloomsberg, MAG, etc)

Scary that the most vocal ones against guns know the absolute LEAST about them.

It's no wonder why stupid fcxking laws like this are passed.

Quote:
As used in sections 2923.11 to 2923.24 of the Revised Code:
www.handgunlaw.us
(A) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.
(B)(1) “Firearm” means any deadly weapon capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant. “Firearm” includes an unloaded firearm, and any firearm that is inoperable but that can readily be rendered operable.
(2) When determining whether a firearm is capable of expelling or propelling one or more projectiles by the action of an explosive or combustible propellant, the trier of fact may rely upon circumstantial evidence, including, but not limited to, the representations and actions of the individual exercising control over the firearm.
(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.
You wonder why responsible people get arrested and deprived of liberty even when they try their absolute best to learn and follow the law. Try navigating ever changing crap like this...

The definition of "automatic" is a "semi-automatic" gun only of it can hold 31+ rounds, unless that gun shoots a .22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 12-24-2012 at 11:56 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #1082
mkodama

Yeah, kinda of like California laws. Apparently if your rifle has a thumbhole stock, that's enough reason to confiscate your rifle and throw you in jail. How a thumbhole stock makes a rifle any more dangerous is still a mystery to me.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #1083
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Most of this anti gun crap is a mystery to me...

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #1084
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
It's typically ALWAYS the anti-gunner organizations (Ceasefire, Brady, Bloomsberg, MAG, etc)

Scary that the most vocal ones against guns know the absolute LEAST about them.

It's no wonder why stupid fcxking laws like this are passed.

You wonder why responsible people get arrested and deprived of liberty even when they try their absolute best to learn and follow the law. Try navigating ever changing crap like this...

The definition of "automatic" is a "semi-automatic" gun only of it can hold 31+ rounds, unless that gun shoots a .22

I keep up on the laws the best I can and I've never heard that one before...wow

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #1085
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Here's what I can't find when discussing this topic. Noone seems to be able to give an accurate definition of what an "Assault Rifle" is. There doesn't seem to be a general concensus. Just because an AR15 looks like an M16 doesn't mean it's an "Assault Rifle"; Toyota races a "Camry" in NASCAR, that doesn't mean all "Camrys" are race cars. They may look similar, but they are not the same.
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #1086
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
As per CT definition:

Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 Carbien type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 Series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; USI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol.

2. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

3. Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescopic stock;

ii. a pistol grip;

iii. a bayonet mount;

iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

v. a grenade launcher.

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

ii. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

iii. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

iv. a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

v. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescoping stock;

ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

4. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3), or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3), may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Source: General Statutes § 53-202a (a) (applies to §§ 53-202b -- 202k).

Commentary: The term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable. General Statutes § 53-202a (b).

Last edited by HiHoBrian; 12-26-2012 at 09:44 AM.
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #1087
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
And in NC
What are the relevant laws regarding Assault Rifles in North Carolina?

A: Assault rifles (the real ones) are select-fire battle rifles available only to military and law enforcement. "Select-fire" means that they can be switched between semi-automatic mode (one shot per trigger pull) and full-automatic (machine gun) or "burst" mode (multiple shots per trigger pull). They are considered to be machine guns by law and are thus illegal for private citizens to own in NC. Is that the type of rifle to which you are referring? Or do you mean the non-select-fire cosmetic look-alikes, the so-called "assault weapons?" If so, we were fortunate enough to be able to make the NC legislature understand that so-called "assault weapons" are no different from any other non-select-fire gun, except in appearance. Because of their understanding, there are no state-specific laws governing "assault weapons." There are Federal laws, of course, and there are some local ordinances in Durham and Chapel Hill. The local ordinances were invalidated by a state-wide preemption law, but Durham and Chapel Hill still keep their ordinances on the books to "make a statement."
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #1088
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
They moved the annual gun buyback in LA up to today.

Idiot reporters kept throwing around words like assault rifle when they had bins full of fudd guns

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #1089
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #1090
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Guess my AK is considered an assault rifle. Well, since I lost it during my last hunting trip I don't need to concern myself at this point.
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #1091
tattooed_sailor
No Such User

My Ride: E34 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
you can still be called into compulsory service. Have you registered for the draft.

But the second amendment requires no militia service in order to bear arms.
That depends on which Supreme Court justice you ask.
Frankly, I am not at all sure that civilian gun ownership is a good idea.
(For the record, I do own several guns)
The fact is that for all the stories you hear about people using guns to protect themselves the numbers are incredibly low. Most guns are not being used for self defense. So what is the answer? Don't drive through Compton at midnight. Be smart. Intelligence trumps firepower every time.
tattooed_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #1092
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader View Post
Guess my AK is considered an assault rifle. Well, since I lost it during my last hunting trip I don't need to concern myself at this point.
how do you do that?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #1093
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
how do you do that?
I have a 12ft starcraft with a trolling motor. Anyone want to head out on some open water for a gun cleaning party? Bring um all!

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #1094
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
damn, dont want another accident like the one i read about earlier. please be careful guys
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #1095
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader View Post
You are a responsible gun owner aren't you? Please don't bother answering.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #1096
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Really?
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #1097
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
I have a 12ft starcraft with a trolling motor. Anyone want to head out on some open water for a gun cleaning party? Bring um all!

sent from my ATARI sc1224
k.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #1098
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliroast View Post
And in NC
What are the relevant laws regarding Assault Rifles in North Carolina?

A: Assault rifles (the real ones) are select-fire battle rifles available only to military and law enforcement. "Select-fire" means that they can be switched between semi-automatic mode (one shot per trigger pull) and full-automatic (machine gun) or "burst" mode (multiple shots per trigger pull). They are considered to be machine guns by law and are thus illegal for private citizens to own in NC. Is that the type of rifle to which you are referring? Or do you mean the non-select-fire cosmetic look-alikes, the so-called "assault weapons?" If so, we were fortunate enough to be able to make the NC legislature understand that so-called "assault weapons" are no different from any other non-select-fire gun, except in appearance. Because of their understanding, there are no state-specific laws governing "assault weapons." There are Federal laws, of course, and there are some local ordinances in Durham and Chapel Hill. The local ordinances were invalidated by a state-wide preemption law, but Durham and Chapel Hill still keep their ordinances on the books to "make a statement."
Actually...Machineguns are NOT illegal in NC... The laws wording is very strange but I can only assume it means illegal conversions.

Quote:
a person who lawfully possesses or owns a weapon as defined by subsection (a) of this section in compliance with 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53, §§ 5801‑5871. Nothing in this subdivision shall limit the discretion of the sheriff in executing the paperwork required by the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for such person to obtain the weapon.
In most states....if you can legally buy a pistol at a gun shop you can buy a machine gun.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #1099
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_sailor View Post
That depends on which Supreme Court justice you ask.
Frankly, I am not at all sure that civilian gun ownership is a good idea.
(For the record, I do own several guns)
The fact is that for all the stories you hear about people using guns to protect themselves the numbers are incredibly low. Most guns are not being used for self defense. So what is the answer? Don't drive through Compton at midnight. Be smart. Intelligence trumps firepower every time.
Funny thing about our bill of rights.... the 2A was written so we could be on the same playing field as the federal government incase they ever needed to be overthrown....NOT for SD persay. Hints why they cant come out and ban any type of firearm. They can put "bans" in place but they can NEVER take them all away reguardless of grandfathered firearms, tax stamps, or licencses. If you have the money and time I can tell you how to legally own your own mini gun...

Now theres no way that our founding fathers could imagine the military advancements the government possesses right now but the heart of the law put us on equal footing with them at the time. HD was not at the heart of the law.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #1100
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
lol. 4 handguns. "AR-15 style" rifle was in the trunk, never brought into the school. Media lied, medical examiner lied. Good job liberals. Really.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...08495#50208495