E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

View Poll Results: should firearms be banned/regulated?
Yes 11 6.51%
Fvck No 100 59.17%
There should be more regulations but not taken away completely 36 21.30%
I dont care 4 2.37%
I agree with JonJon 18 10.65%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #101
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigugly View Post
FACT: In the first two years after Australian gun-owners were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms, government statistics showed a dramatic increase in criminal activity. In 2001-2002, homicides were up another 20%.

FACT: Despite having much stricter gun control than New Zealand (including a near ban on handguns) firearm homicides in both countries track one another over 25 years, indicating that gun control is not a control variable.

FACT:Gun crimes have been rising throughout Australia since guns were banned. In Sydney alone, robbery rates with guns rose 160% in 2001, more in the previous year.

You can see gun control has worked in your country. It hasnt.

Secondly, Mexico has the most strict gun laws in the Western Hemisphere, and look how many people are killed there from brutal drug and gang wars. The people have no way to protect themselfs, and as such, are pawns.

If guns are outlawed, Only outlaws will have guns. They don't care about laws.

Here's a good example of the kinds of propaganda the NRA promotes. While the exact statistics may be factual, the context is manufactured. A key give away is that here we are in 2012, and the "facts" cited are picked from 11 years ago. Is that really the best and most current data available, or were the points picked because they are simple figures that happen to support the conclusion already drawn?

A reasonable person might ask whether one year, over a decade ago might be an outlier, or possibly a result of something other than recent gun control legislation. A gun fanatic will simply say "facts are facts" and pretend that they mean what they wish they did.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #102
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
The problem is,responsible gun owners aren't commiting crimes with thier weapons,it is the criminals,or mentally unstable. Those limited few should not ruin the freedoms of an entire nation,especially since without respect for the law,the criminals will not be affected by any ban,tax,or laws. The biggest outcome would likely be responsible,innocent people going to jail so they can be made an example of in the media for not turning in,or registering thier guns.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Indeed. Law abiding citizens like myself follow gun laws. When I moved to Chicago, I had to sell my handgun to comply with the local gun laws (and I sold mine - rather not end up in prison). But guess what... Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in the country, and 75% of those murders involve a firearm.

Unless someone invents magical time machine and prevents guns from being invented, those criminals will continue to have access to guns, while people like myself are restricted to pepper spray and flashlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #103
dwass325

Quote:
That is COMPLETELY not the gun to carry, IMO. I have a bunch of 1911's, and while I love them and think they have a soul, I don't carry them for CCW. A compact (almost) anything modern will be light years ahead of a compact 1911 when it comes to capacity and reliability. I daily carry a xdsc 9mm, personally. When it becomes winter time and I can wear a jacket I carry a full size 9mm or 45acp XD.
I'd certainly do more research if carrying was in my immediate future. I just looked at the mini 1911s bc I like the full sized ones and have disliked every compact/sub-compact I've ever shot.

I really liked my XD-M, so I'd give the baby XDs another look if/when the time comes.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #104
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I am very pleased with that court decision. Now it's just time to see how much Rahm and Madigan try to stand in the way.

I was surprised to see how much those baby 1911s from Springfield Armory cost though
I have two SA's...an XD 40 and an XD 9. LOVE the way that gun shoots. Get one!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #105
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
That is COMPLETELY not the gun to carry, IMO. I have a bunch of 1911's, and while I love them and think they have a soul, I don't carry them for CCW. A compact (almost) anything modern will be light years ahead of a compact 1911 when it comes to capacity and reliability. I daily carry a xdsc 9mm, personally. When it becomes winter time and I can wear a jacket I carry a full size 9mm or 45acp XD.

I have a Kimber ultra carry, and its a snappy little hotrod, and runs pretty good for a 1911, but with 7+1, my xdsc carries 13+1. I compete with it in IDPA and can hold my own very well with it. Plus, a 1911 isn't gonna go over 300-400 rounds without a malfunction, while most any modern gun will do thousands before malfunction.
It's funny that you mention malfunctions. One of my S&W 1911's is so damn temperamental. It'll jam often if it hates the ammo, and it's annoying. My XD's just go & go......like a good hooker.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #106
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I had an XD-M 9mm before I moved to Chicago proper. I think the XD line is, by far, the best of the polymer bunch.

Quote:

Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #107
naMKaren

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
If I may also remind you, my city has 1/10 of Australia's population and my state has 1/2. There is not necessarily a 1:1 comparison between your country and mine.
In actual fact, if your city is 1/10 of Australia's population, then my city has more people than yours lol.

But point taken.
naMKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #108
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Yup, I own several SA and the 40SC is my EDC

Love them so much I hit the gun show this afternoon and picked up a coupe more "friends" for them to hang out with

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 12-16-2012 at 06:49 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #109
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Here's a good example of the kinds of propaganda the NRA promotes. While the exact statistics may be factual, the context is manufactured. A key give away is that here we are in 2012, and the "facts" cited are picked from 11 years ago. Is that really the best and most current data available, or were the points picked because they are simple figures that happen to support the conclusion already drawn?

A reasonable person might ask whether one year, over a decade ago might be an outlier, or possibly a result of something other than recent gun control legislation. A gun fanatic will simply say "facts are facts" and pretend that they mean what they wish they did.

I don't support the NRA. I think they are not supporting gun owners correctly, plus I feel that the media normally attacks the NRA, when they aren't the issue or the problem.

You also have to remember, studies aren't normally done every signal year, so you have to use what you have available.

Quote:
I'd certainly do more research if carrying was in my immediate future. I just looked at the mini 1911s bc I like the full sized ones and have disliked every compact/sub-compact I've ever shot.

I really liked my XD-M, so I'd give the baby XDs another look if/when the time comes.

If you have an XDm, a xdsc will be right up your alley

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #110
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Yup, I own several SA and the 40SC is my EDC

Love them so much I hit the gun show this afternoon and picked up a coupe more "friends" for them to hang out with
If the zombie apocalypse ever occurs, I'm headed to PA with my lot, and we'll have Glockman, dwass, budman, Curtis (..cause I think that dude has a mini assault rifle armory), darkside and Chad....because, well....I love that guy.....meet us there

....We'll be fortified for A MINUTE!!!!!

Singing kumbaya and roasting marshmallows all f*cking night.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-16-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #111
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
Quote:
It's funny that you mention malfunctions. One of my S&W 1911's is so damn temperamental. It'll jam often if it hates the ammo, and it's annoying. My XD's just go & go......like a good hooker.
I hear ya. I have had 3-4 of them be very fussy with running correctly. Normally is just experimenting with swapping parts, and in my case being able to load a round that it likes. My 5" GI 1950 colt has no issue eating ANYTHING, but my Kimber is fussy with nose shape and FPS. The dwell timing is very different between the two guns......

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #112
dwass325

Quote:
I hear ya. I have had 3-4 of them be very fussy with running correctly. Normally is just experimenting with swapping parts, and in my case being able to load a round that it likes. My 5" GI 1950 colt has no issue eating ANYTHING, but my Kimber is fussy with nose shape and FPS. The dwell timing is very different between the two guns......
I feel like I was very fortunate with my XD-M. I put probably 5k rounds through it with literally no issues. No failures or hang ups of any kind.

Quote:

Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #113
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
You also have to remember, studies aren't normally done every signal year, so you have to use what you have available.
No, you don't have to "use what's available", you have the option of ignoring data that lacks context. Also, if you read the piece I quoted, the talking point mentioned that they had data from 2 consecutive years - which either implies that there is a full data set available, or the study was run for 2 years then stopped.

Either way, that's a common clue that "facts" are being manipulated to support the conclusion.

Believe me, I deal with this stuff on a professional basis all the time and political lobbying groups aren't the folks to turn to for an objective assessment.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #114
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
I had an XD-M 9mm before I moved to Chicago proper. I think the XD line is, by far, the best of the polymer bunch.
I have an XDm 9 love it. Bought a Smith&Wesson 380 Bodyguard last night.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #115
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
I wonder if people were so passionate about keeping slavery as preserving current gun laws.

It's good to see people are passionate about some things

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #116
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

And........... Here's "race"

Right on time

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #117
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
I wonder if people were so passionate about keeping slavery as preserving current gun laws.

It's good to see people are passionate about some things
short answer, No.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #118
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Not at all. You're a lemming because you willingly and graciously will give up freedoms without nary a fight.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't understand what I said. The alternative would be

Say you are alone in a room.
You can stretch your arms all you want. You can even get naked if you want.
Say now another person enters the room. You may still be possible to stretch your arms, but civility and decency dictates that you do not get naked. Must you see that as a loosing of your personal freedom? Can't you not see that as a natural adjustment of your expectations?
Would you really fight the other person to ensure you have the freedom to get naked anytime you wish?
If you have that right, wouldn't it be just fair that the other person also exercises his personal freedom? Say the other person likes to pee in your direction.

Lemming or civility?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #119
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

If its your room, you do have that right.

You don't understand how rights work.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #120
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
If its your room, you do have that right.

You don't understand how rights work.
Ding ding! You sir have won the prize.