E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #101
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Check your Syphon pump on the left side. If it comes off of the sending unit, it will not syphon fuel from the left side of the tank to the right. Symptom will be that you run out of gas at 1/4.

Very easy to check under left side of rear seat.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #102
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
Bmw's are relatively cheap to maintain but costly to repair... If that makes sense lol
More like... BMW's are costly to maintain and expensive to repair.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #103
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Check your Syphon pump on the left side. If it comes off of the sending unit, it will not syphon fuel from the left side of the tank to the right. Symptom will be that you run out of gas at 1/4.

Very easy to check under left side of rear seat.
Siphon pumps rarely fail or become disconnected, the problem is the return fuel pressure and volume drops due to a soft failing fuel pump, then you fail to have an adequate siphon to transfer fuel from the left to right side of the fuel tank.

2nd link in my signature has all the info anyone needs.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #104
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Siphon pumps rarely fail or become disconnected, the problem is the return fuel pressure and volume drops due to a soft failing fuel pump, then you fail to have an adequate siphon to transfer fuel from the left to right side of the fuel tank.

2nd link in my signature has all the info anyone needs.
Yes, they do come off! I have had one come off and got stranded because of it.

You don't know what you are talking about! You make up comments and then change you comments!

It is suspect in his case because the car is new to him!

Read my signature below and you will find the answer!

Stop making comments about others post and just make your comments to the OP.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 05-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #105
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
I beat the crap outta my new BMW last nite... Initiation you know...

Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #106
BMWCaptain

Sludge on oil cap is nothing. This is the coldest part of the valve cover because it has the plastic divider under it.

It is perfectly fine. This is not indicative of sludge in the valve train or engine.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #107
jfoj

Quote:
Yes, they do come off! I have had one come off and got stranded because of it.

You don't know what you are talking about! You make up comments and then change you comments!

It is suspect in his case because the car is new to him!

Read my signature below and you will find the answer!

Stop making comments about others post and just make your comments to the OP.
Here you go again, not sure where to start with someone like you!!

You obviously have a superiority complex and that there is only one way in your world. I am assuming you are rather young, and if not, you need to grow up. You always have to be the one that is "right" all the time or at least at the end of the day. Maybe your really have an inferiority complex?

If you would have read my comment clearly, I stated that the siphon pumps rarely fail or that hoses do not come off often, this is not a high volume failure, there are other problems that will impact tank to tank fuel transfer and low fuel pressure and volume are the primary causes.

Maybe the siphon hose fell off on your car, but this does not happen often.

What I try to do is add valve, correct unclear or missing information when I see something that does not add up as these are public forums and you never know when someone may run across a comment and take it for 100%.

Lets see, I do not know what I am talking about. I will let the rest of the forum members decide this for themselves.

I make up comments then change them. Well unlike you, I do make mistakes, I make mistakes all the time, when I do, I go out of my way to correct my mistakes and set the record straight. I do not have to be the one that is "right", I just want to present correct, factual and accurate information.

I put a lot of information in my signature as these posts have quite a bit of useful information on VERY common issues that impact all E46 owners. I have another life and I am on MANY forums and I do not have time to hand hold and answer every single tiny detail. This is my way of providing a good amount of information to forum members in a very short period of time.

As for you to decide where I or anyone else can comment on a public forum, not sure this is your call. If you can talk someone into becoming a moderator and deleting my posts, more power to you.

Just so you are aware, since your made you childish comment above that I have quoted above, I have already received several PM's about your statement and general attitude.

Anyway, my comment was not a direct attack at you, like you seemed to think, it was a clarification and expansion of your post. Whether or not this was part of the original thread or not, as I mentioned, I do my best to add value and provide accurate information.

I can see since you made this comment here, you have also been busy attacking me elsewhere on the forum.

I hope you are successful on getting your anger out and maybe with any luck you will get me banned from this forum!

I certainly hope you can have a good weekend.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Last edited by jfoj; 05-17-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #108
jfoj

Quote:
Sludge on oil cap is nothing. This is the coldest part of the valve cover because it has the plastic divider under it.

It is perfectly fine. This is not indicative of sludge in the valve train or engine.
Sludge or goo in the oil fill or under the oil cap can be an issue. Depending on the situation it needs to at least be managed and in cold weather can lead to some fairly catastrophic consequences.

Clearly outlined in the 3rd link below in my signature!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #109
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Sludge or goo in the oil fill or under the oil cap can be an issue. Depending on the situation it needs to at least be managed and in cold weather can lead to some fairly catastrophic consequences.

Clearly outlined in the 3rd link below in my signature!
Yes, you know nothing about BMWs!

And I don't care what you think!

Really, what issue is that if there is sludge under the cap. Again, you are making things up just to contradict me. So tell us what that might be. What is it?
I'm waiting......... Right. There is nothing!

Again, you want to make things up and hear yourself talk.

You will get sludge build up at the cap. It does not indicate anything.
You dismiss it and don't understand so you always have to diss everyone else.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 05-17-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #110
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
I beat the crap outta my new BMW last nite... Initiation you know...

You're crazy. I like it
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #111
CORVAIRWILD

Either it would take it, or she wouldn't... She I name here now?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #112
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
i don't know how many forum threads I've read on "how reliable are BMW's?".

here's the be-all & end-all to those Q's. Buy a Honda Civic, ...be a drone, own it for 38.7 years, & slit your wrists. (I oughta know...1991 Honda Civic DX 4-dr winter beater owner here. Has 8 k-jillion miles. Total annual maintenance cost: $10/year...that's TEN dollars per year...in maintenance/upkeep, excluding gas. Don't even know what's under the hood...?.....2 monkeys on a hamster wheel?......who cares,...I drive thru a oil-change place every 3 years to change oil).
beeemerdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #113
CORVAIRWILD

Same thing here... 1993 Hyundai Excel hatchback. Paid $250 in Phoenix 5 years ago. $500 repairs to get it running properly, $800 SH to get it here, no repairs since then... 25k, always starts no matter the weather, it's for sale now, and I'm asking $2500 to pay for half the 325xi
Old 09-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #114
CORVAIRWILD

So 3.5 months hence... I just got the tags and papers for the car. the dealer was a total jurk, and now I get to tinker with her a bit. I think I'm gonna order the complete cooling system kit... No China parts, sillycone hoses...

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-3-s...kit-p1167.aspx

should I use OEM Coolant? Or WW stuff, "replaces all colors"?

and rear shocks

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ock%20Absorber
Old 09-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #115
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Re: BMW's... Unreliable/Pricey To Fix???

Don't press the dsc button while you are on the gas on ice...

Sent from my SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #116
CORVAIRWILD

Yeah, winter is around the corner, 29f in Lake Placid 2 nites ago... an hour away
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #117
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Quote:
Same thing here... 1993 Hyundai Excel hatchback. Paid $250 in Phoenix 5 years ago. $500 repairs to get it running properly, $800 SH to get it here, no repairs since then... 25k, always starts no matter the weather, it's for sale now, and I'm asking $2500 to pay for half the 325xi
Same here, I just bought a 1992 Mercedes with 125K, all it needs is an air filter and a window regulator.
My 328i had the same mileage when I bought and spent $1000 in parts first 3 months.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #118
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
[QUOTE=CORVAIRWILD;15691982]So 3.5 months hence... I just got the tags and papers for the car. the dealer was a total jurk, and now I get to tinker with her a bit. I think I'm gonna order the complete cooling system kit... No China parts, sillycone hoses...

Use OEM, it doesn't cost much more then the other stuff and it'll last for a long time.

Last edited by lszlszx; 09-07-2013 at 10:16 AM.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #119
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
The VW stuff is OAT (Organic Acid Technology), different from the BMW stuff. I went with OE. It is convenient and not that expensive in the big picture (I ordered lots of parts form getbmwparts.com and had free shipping). An aftermarket solution is Zerex (G-05--or is it G-48?--someone out there will know). Where I live, though, it is harder to find than hen's teeth. I could order online, but shipping gets expensive. If your "local" dealer isn't too far, it may be the most convenient option (I drive by mine 2x/wk).
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote