E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Bought myself an AR-15

Picked up this beauty today at a gun show along with 2 Mag-Pull mags and 1000 .223 rounds. Suggestions for anything else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	482332   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (12).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	482333  
Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
What brand? I can't tell from my phone.
What brand and magnification on the optic?
What do you intend to do with your new AR? Plinker? Range toy? Home defense? Distance shooting? Carbine classes?

You may want to read through the General AR discussion thread first. There is a lot of useful information in there.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Ditch the upper and the cheap optic, you need back up irons rather it be a standard FSB or a full rail.

Might want to go ahead and F1 it as a SBR, if the AWB hits and it is a total ban NFA Items SHOULD be exempt.

CMMG kit is a must.

Last edited by tailo; 12-16-2012 at 09:50 PM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
you still live in ny op?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
The lower is mega which is gtg, I like their stuff. What upper is on there? Barrel? Twist rate? What do you want to use it for? Only upgrade I'll really recommend before you answer more questions is either a bcm ch or rainier arms ch.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The upper looks cheap, but the lower is good quality. You have a rifle that will be okay in the short term. The good thing is that you have a good lower receiver that will be a great base platform for future add-ons.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
What brand? I can't tell from my phone.
What brand and magnification on the optic?
What do you intend to do with your new AR? Plinker? Range toy? Home defense? Distance shooting? Carbine classes?

You may want to read through the General AR discussion thread first. There is a lot of useful information in there.
Mega lower, will be getting more information regarding the upper soon but it already seems like I'll be swapping it out for a higher quality upper. Will be using it for just range firing but later it will be used for home defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Ditch the upper and the cheap optic, you need back up irons rather it be a standard FSB or a full rail.

Might want to go ahead and F1 it as a SBR, if the AWB hits and it is a total ban NFA Items SHOULD be exempt.

CMMG kit is a must.
This post sounds like a different language to me so i'll have some research to do before properly responding. What upper/optic would you recommend though? How can you guys tell the upper is cheap btw? Also what is this CMMG kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
you still live in ny op?
Nope, Louisiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
The lower is mega which is gtg, I like their stuff. What upper is on there? Barrel? Twist rate? What do you want to use it for? Only upgrade I'll really recommend before you answer more questions is either a bcm ch or rainier arms ch.
Glad to hear the mega lower is good. Not sure of the upper or any of that information, will let you know soon though. Using it for range shooting and then possibly in a few years home defense.

I'll have to look into the BCM CH or Rainier Arms CH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
The upper looks cheap, but the lower is good quality. You have a rifle that will be okay in the short term. The good thing is that you have a good lower receiver that will be a great base platform for future add-ons.
Happy to hear it. How can you tell the upper is cheap? And which would you recommend?

Thanks guys
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

This is my standard answer: If you ever want to trust your life to it, then the only uppers that I suggest will come from Bravo Company USA, Daniel Defense, and Colt (in no particular order). There are others with just as good of quality, but they are typically more expensive or harder to find. Again, take some time to read though the General AR discussion thread and you will get a lot of good information.

Last edited by Serbonze; 12-17-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
This is my standard answer: If you ever want to trust your life to it, then the only uppers that I suggest will come from Bravo Company USA, Daniel Defense, and Colt (in no particular order). There are others with just as good of quality, but they are typically more expensive or harder to find. Again, take some time to read though the General AR discussion thread and you will get a lot of good information.
Thanks man, I will definitely look into those uppers. I prob won't be switching it out for a few months since i'm a little low on cash and about to transition jobs but will definitely be switching it out. The rest of the parts (besides the optic which I will also have to research) are mag-pull which i've heard is good quality though.

Any suggestions for upgrades are welcome though

BTW, going to the range on Thursday with the gf. She's not exactly anti-gun but doesn't really understand why I bought this at all. Want to show her how fun it is to go to the range and also show her that guns aren't evil lol.

Last edited by Tom5933; 12-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Tom5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
I would add LMT to that list..they are usually very reasonable as well. Then the more expensive ones I would also recommend are noveske, larue and knights IMO.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5933 View Post
Thanks man, I will definitely look into those uppers. I prob won't be switching it out for a few months since i'm a little low on cash and about to transition jobs but will definitely be switching it out. The rest of the parts (besides the optic which I will also have to research) are mag-pull which i've heard is good quality though.

Any suggestions for upgrades are welcome though
It's really difficult to suggest upgrades without knowing much about what you are working with as a base. If you are only going to be plinking at the range with it for now, there really isn't a need to upgrade anything. Just go shoot the crap out of it. If you start upgrading without having a baseline, you will never know if the upgrades were worth it.

I would suggest the purchase of the following though:
Slip2000 EWL for lubrication
Boresnake for cleaning the barrel.

Before you shoot it for the first time, lube up the BCG as desribed here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=961

Last edited by Serbonze; 01-06-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

I think I've found which optic is on the gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Optic-Gr...#RY88GFW3FR3RW
Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
tailo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo

CMMG kit is a must.

This post sounds like a different language to me so i'll have some research to do before properly responding. What upper/optic would you recommend though? How can you guys tell the upper is cheap btw? Also what is this CMMG kit?
All of a AR's accuracy is in the upper, a lower's a lower..... As long as there not grossly out of spec a $50 reciever will do the same job as a $500 reciever. Your lower is fine, your upper is a pile of crap....Not that its worthless, you could sell it and use that money with a couple of bills extra to get a NICE upper. As sets your not going to see great long range accuracy, thats a noob 25 yard box puncher.

There's tons of differnet companies making uppers, dont grab any old upper or you will end up in the same boat that your in. Make SURE its of quality make. Right now theres some police trade in LMT's floating around, as good of a upper as you can get for about $200 more than what you can get out of your upper.

Back up irons are a must, The cheapest is using a factory front sight base and something like a MaTech rear sight. Forget the cheap plastic sights, there junk.

This is a FSB, your rifle lacks it and your barrel will probably not be able to use one with out costly modification. Note the clamp on gas block, they generally dont have the pin cuts needed for a FSB. This is one dead on way to spot a cheap upper.

Note how this rifle is setup. It has a standard FSB and a Matech BUIS. If your optics go down you can flip your rear sight up and keep fighting. You can also cowitness your irons with your optics just to give you more signting options.

For a ACOG sight (and probably yours) you can tuck the rear sight under the optic itself.

The CMMG kit is a .22lr kit, you can shoot all day for $20 in .22lr ammo. Note the different mag. It's a drop in bolt conversion, takes seconds and your done. Cost is about $150

Optics wise, when ever you look at the reviews and you see "going great so far" or "havent lost a zero yet" your dealing with very very cheap optics. Most of those are designed for airsoft use and have no reason to be on a real rifle. Recoil will eventually kill that sight.

There are plenty of great options, They will cost but 1 aimpoint will generally out last 5 of those cheaper units. I'd stick with a older comp m2, they run about half the cost of what a used comp m4 will and there pretty tough units.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aimpoint-Com...item43b6cec700

If you sold your upper and optic for say $400

A LMT upper used will run $550 or so
Aimpoint comp m2 $300
Matech $25

For about $475 you could be in a setup like this: As long as you use a quality (used or not does not matter) upper you will have a dead reliable battle rifle.

From there your next buys (besides the .22 kit) should be a quality rail and flash light. There's tons of choices here, I like KAC RAS rails...our GI's use them, they bolt right in place with out and special tools and only takes a couple minutes to swap back . If you note I have those rails on the rifle I posted above (the painted rifles the same one with the .22 kit, the paint just rubbed off)

Flash lights your choice, I like surefire lights myself because I know people who get me good deals on used stuff
Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:

Happy to hear it. How can you tell the upper is cheap? And which would you recommend?

Thanks guys
Maybe "cheap" isn't the word, but maybe it is. I see that it has a clamp-on railed gas block, which is something that not optimal. That usually indicates a custom build; particularly when you look at the fact that it's on a Mega forged lower receiver. Railed gas blocks in general are a bad idea, but if people are running them for whatever reason, JP is the only company that makes a decent clamp-on railed gas block. That gas block doesn't appear to be a JP. Generally speaking, people who build rifles with clamp-on railed gas blocks are doing so because they don't know how to do anything better.
Chances are that someone either removed the stock gas block, which was likely an A2 style FSP, and put that gas block on. There are likely taper pin holes in the barrel underneath the gas block. That, or it's a brand new barrel they bought and put the gas block on because they didn't know how to tap or drill the barrel. Either way, to me as an armor, it screams "Lazy build" or "Amateur build", and which one it is depends on who made it. For the most part, if it were an OE upper like that of a S&W M&P15OR, the gas block would have set screws.

Now, having made this unnecessarily long rant that I'm sure has put everyone to sleep with utter boredom, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad setup. It could very well have quality components, and since I can't see the rest of the gun, it's hard to tell one way or the other. I'm just looking at the gas block on the barrel, along with the Chinese ACOG knock-off on top, and making an assumption based on past experiences with what I often see. Then I add to it the fact that it was bought at a gun show. That's not always a bad thing, but then and again, every gun show I've been to has been full of about 97% junk. Gun shows are historically a place for people who don't have legitimate businesses to sell their wares without being properly licensed, certified and/or insured.
If you know the guy you bought it from and know they're reputable, obviously disregard my last statement then.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

@Tailo and Reedo302:

Thanks guys for such thorough posts! Really appreciate it.

I spoke with the guy who originally built the AR and found out that the upper is a Del-Ton. The lower has a CMMG parts kit in it. Moly-chromed lined barrel. The upper has a keyhole market on the right side which i've read means it's by Cerro Forge?

Based on the various input i've received, i'm ordering Troy Industries folding BUIS. I've been looking into the Aimpoint sights also, have to wait a month or two to pick one of those up though. Also will be getting a Daniel Defense upper in the future.

Also, given my current setup, will I attached the front Troy sight to the gas block?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Buy as many pmags as you can find at $15 each or less.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Already have 6 mags and will be ordering more Gen3 as soon as they get in stock! Think I'm going to order my Troy BUIS tonight also.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
tailo

Very nice choice in BUIS. Got a set of troys coming myself for my SMG, although most gas block rails are not the same heigth as the reciever so you have to get a taller front sight or it wont work. You will have to google/call delton about that one and find out what sight you need.

Sounds like you can save up enough change to buy some decent parts. Look in to the acogs, I've had just about every type of optic over the years. I perfer the ACOG myself over anything else although I keep both on hand for my basic setup. I find them more usefull for the type of landscape we have around here.

What alot of us do is keep the old parts, once your nearly done modding the first your only a few parts away from having a second rifle.

Last edited by tailo; 12-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #19
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Very nice choice in BUIS. Got a set of troys coming myself for my SMG, although most gas block rails are not the same heigth as the reciever so you have to get a taller front sight or it wont work. You will have to google/call delton about that one and find out what sight you need.

Sounds like you can save up enough change to buy some decent parts. Look in to the acogs, I've had just about every type of optic over the years. I perfer the ACOG myself over anything else although I keep both on hand for my basic setup. I find them more usefull for the type of landscape we have around here.

What alot of us do is keep the old parts, once your nearly done modding the first your only a few parts away from having a second rifle.
Yea, i'm excited to throw the Troy sights on here. Also, The gas block on mine is actually the same height as receiver so I think it should be fine.

I really like the Aimpoint ACOGs so definitely going to be investing in one of those in the future.

And yea, i'm already seeing i'm going to eventually have 2 full ARs sooner than I had originally planned on haha. Especailly now that I just picked this up tonight! Fully stripped Noveske upper and lower.

Last edited by Tom5933; 12-20-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Tom5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Yea, i'm excited to throw the Troy sights on here. Also, The gas block on mine is actually the same height as receiver so I think it should be fine.

I really like the Aimpoint ACOGs so definitely going to be investing in one of those in the future.

And yea, i'm already seeing i'm going to eventually have 2 full ARs sooner than I had originally planned on haha. Especailly now that I just picked this up tonight! Fully stripped Noveske upper and lower.

Got it, huh? Congrats!

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote