E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
aar0n_91

My Ride: 05 BMW325CI///MSport
HID Kit Help - retrofit bi-xenons + syd or melb fanatic to install

hi everyone, i currently have a set of 6000k 35W HID's from jason installed. one of my bulbs went out and now i want to install a 55W HID kit as i was never happy with the light output. my car has OEM halogen projectors (no im not going to do a retrofit of a better projector).

i know 55W kits tend to wash the colour out a bit so ill probly go a 6000k in the 55W as im after something a bit whiter.

my question is what is a good kit to buy and where from?

is anyone here running a 55W kit in their halogen projectors? any info you provide would be appreciated.

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL

Last edited by aar0n_91; 12-17-2012 at 06:19 PM.
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
You'll melt your standard projectors with a 55w kit. I've also heard that 55W kits make the ground just in front of you so bright that your eyes adjust to that and you end up with worse long distance vision.

Get some Osram Xenarc CBI 5,000k bulbs and adjust the alignment of your projectors. You should have no issues getting semi-decent light output.

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Declan's on the money. Low beam has to be balanced with your high beam, there is such a thing as too much light.
Better bulbs will improve your output.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
aar0n_91

i need a HID kit for my low beam, want to replace all ballasts and bulbs. can you guys link me something that will provide good light output

Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
DeclanM3

The bulbs I mentioned and a Morimoto three five kit from The Retrofit Source.

I trust you can Google by now? I'm on my phone :p

Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
aar0n_91

$200 for bulbs is a bit steep!!!!

how would this go on the 5five kit? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3893
approx 3600 lumens would be awesome for $150!!!!

will the bulbs really get that hot? does anyone here in aus have experience running a 55w hid kit?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
aar0n_91

how would this go on the 5five kit? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3893

will the bulbs really get that hot? does anyone here in aus have experience running a 55w hid kit?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0n_91 View Post

It's because they are the best bulbs money can buy.. Cheaper than dealership OEM xenon bulbs.

If you want more output and you don't want to retrofit projectors then you only have 1 option. Better bulbs and better 35W ballasts.

You will melt your projectors with standard halogen projectors. But hey, don't take my word for it. Run 55W and see what happens!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
If anything at all, you're better off spending the money on a projector that puts the light in the right place, rather than just more of it.
I know you said you didn't want to, but you're pissing money up against the wall at this stage. Depends if you're doing it for looks, or you actually want decent lighting performance.

Last edited by Jall; 12-17-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Jall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall View Post
If anything at all, you're better off spending the money on a projector that puts the light in the right place, rather than just more of it.
I know you said you didn't want to, but you're pissing money up against the wall at this stage. Depends if you're doing it for looks, or you actually want decent lighting performance.
Projector retrofits are by far the best bang for buck lighting improvements but there should still be noticeable improvements overall by getting quality ballasts and bulbs and performing an alignment.

FX-R 3.0s all the way though! I love mine

Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
_k

My Ride: e46 coupe
i've been running a 55w philips kit on my DEPO headlights for almost two years, no dramas
Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _k View Post
i've been running a 55w philips kit on my DEPO headlights for almost two years, no dramas
Philips actually don't make a 55w balast, if you have one it's a forged unit.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
aar0n_91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
It's because they are the best bulbs money can buy.. Cheaper than dealership OEM xenon bulbs.

If you want more output and you don't want to retrofit projectors then you only have 1 option. Better bulbs and better 35W ballasts.

You will melt your projectors with standard halogen projectors. But hey, don't take my word for it. Run 55W and see what happens!
ive read on the forum that people are doingit with no dramas, which is why i keep bringing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall View Post
100% doing it for lighting performance. the reason im against a projector is because:

A - i dont want my headlights baked
B - i cant install it and i dont wanna pay for 6 hrs labour (which is the estimated install time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _k View Post
will running it in a depo projector be different to an oem halogen projector wrt heat resistance

Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
aar0n_91

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=141

what options should i select from there for the ballasts (long cord?), projectors (2.5 or 3"?), and shrouds

is there any DIY'er fanatic in syd or melbourne who could install for me for a fee of course?

i would love to have the bixenon projector flap open as well as the reflector bowl on simultaneously when highbeams are selected for max output. is that possible?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
aar0n_91

okay guys, ive decided i want to do the FX-r III bi-xenon retrofit. would love to have the shutter open on the bi-xenon projector as well as the inner reflector bowl on when i turn the high beams on. i most definitely can't install it myself. is there a fanatic in sydney who can install it for me? pm me so we can talk about price for labor

Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
zha50

My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
FXR 3 into a the Facelift headlights is going to be A LOT of work. I use to have a 5000K in the stock halogen projectors, mediocore performance at best.

There is really no room for mechanical mounting methods and mine relied on quick set epoxy then JB weld.

If you want to see how much work is involved using a cutting disk and paper wheel, look at my thread. Output is amazing too.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=956204

Thats 35W too, 5000K.

'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
aar0n_91

looks awesome!!!! heaps of work though...........what to do

Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0n_91 View Post
ive read on the forum that people are doingit with no dramas, which is why i keep bringing it up
Most likely people who have purchased kits off eBay that aren't actually 55W output.

If you're going to upgrade to FXR's are you planning on getting ballasts and bulbs at the same time?

If so I'd get the bulbs and ballasts prior to doing the retrofit as I doubt anyone will retrofit them for you for less than $300. You also ideally need to have the headlights in the car with the epoxy not set so that you can aim the projectors properly. Because the cut off is so precise if one projector is rotated quite literally 1mm in the wrong direction they light output won't be perfectly level and sit with the other beam and it will be really obvious when driving near walls etc. I'd say it's near impossible to get the beams perfect without the headlight being in the car when you do your final positioning limiting who can do the retrofit for you..

At least if you get the best bulbs and ballasts prior to retrofitting you will know that you've exhausted every option. You may even find that the better bulbs and ballasts provide enough output that you don't need to retrofit.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
aar0n_91

i would of preferred to have gotten bulbs, ballasts and projectors installed at once, but i cant seem to find anyone to do the retrofit. this is an auto electricians domain yes?

maybe the FXR are just too difficult and the morimoto mini stage III kit would be better? http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

Last edited by aar0n_91; 12-19-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #20
aar0n_91

what do you guys think of http://www.umnitza.com/projector46-c...ck-p-1231.html

i know umnitza have had nothing but bad press here but i really want the FX-R's and this way they come pre-installed!!! costs more but i save on labor and will also have angel eyes and can then sell my oem headlights so it balances out

ive called a few autoelectricians and no one wants to take the task on, and if they do they are charging $70 an hour for as long as it takes so..............i think a retrofit to my OEM housing is out