E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Tonymoles

My Ride: 2002 325xi wagon
strange floorboard vibrations

for the last month or so I've been experiencing some sort of loping vibration at 35-75 mph its seems worse at 45 and when there is load on the front left wheel when i am cornering. the vibration can be felt through the floor and on the gas and brake pedals.

the strange thing is that i don't feel or hear anything below 35mph. has anyone ever had a similar issue.

I also just replace the front driver side and passenger side axles but that seemed to do noting (the boots were torn so it was still necessary). the lower control arm bushings are not in the best condition outer driver side balljoint is torn.

any info helps

Last edited by Tonymoles; 08-24-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Tonymoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
The FCAB can be the culprit. Were the replacement axles of good quality or trusted OEM brand like GKN?

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Tonymoles

rebuilt OEM axles not sure the name of the company that does it.

I just ordered a new front lower control arm for the driver side. We'll see if that fixes it.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Tonymoles

also would poly bushings be worth the money if i have stock suspension or should i wait till i get new springs and dampers? i thought since im already in there i should go for an upgrade.

Last edited by Tonymoles; 08-23-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
I went with OE bushings, the poly may stiffen the ride but last longer.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
Tonymoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by My325XI View Post
I went with OE bushings, the poly may stiffen the ride but last longer.
I'm looking to improve handling and somewhat get rid of the boaty feel of the

stock xi suspension, so I was just wondering if i would

actually feel the benefits will still on stock springs and dampers. my local auto parts store said that they would press the

bushing for a small fee, so I'll probably do it. And ill probably do both sides since i

think that the suspension hasn't really been serviced and my car is at 202k.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Tonymoles; 08-23-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymoles View Post
rebuilt OEM axles not sure the name of the company that does it.

I just ordered a new front lower control arm for the driver side. We'll see if that fixes it.
What brand of control arm did you buy and did you get the inner ball joint too? I've got a bad outer ball joint on the drivers side of my car and plan on replacing both outer ball joints with e36 non-m units. Down the road I'll do Powerflex poly bushings.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
Tonymoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
What brand of control arm did you buy and did you get the inner ball joint too? I've got a bad outer ball joint on the drivers side of my car and plan on replacing both outer ball joints with e36 non-m units. Down the road I'll do Powerflex poly bushings.
the inner ball joint looks to be okay but ill probably do it eventually for peace of mind. i got lemforder control arms didnt really see the need to spend 50 more when i could use it to get better bushings for the rest of the assembly.

do you have similar vibrations to the ones i wrote about in the first post on your e36 from the worn ball joint?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #9
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
for the last month or so I've been experiencing some sort of loping vibration at 35-75 mph its seems worse at 45 and when there is load on the front left wheel when i am cornering. the vibration can be felt through the floor and on the gas and brake pedals.

the strange thing is that i don't feel or hear anything below 35mph. has anyone ever had a similar issue.

I also just replace the front driver side and passenger side axles but that seemed to do noting (the boots were torn so it was still necessary). the lower control arm bushings are not in the best condition outer driver side bushing is torn.

any info helps
Did you change or top off the front diff fluid after changing axles?
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
Tonymoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Did you change or top off the front diff fluid after changing axles?
Not yet, was planning on doing so eventually. could that be it? i know the front diff is off farther to the left and that is the location of the noise and vibration.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Not yet, was planning on doing so eventually. could that be it? i know the front diff is off farther to the left and that is the location of the noise and vibration.
Yes that could be it. It should have been done anyway with the axle job.

Sounds like you need suspension parts too.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #12
Tonymoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Yes that could be it. It should have been done anyway with the axle job.

Sounds like you need suspension parts too.
i changed the diff fluid front and rear along with my trans and transfer case. it was definitely in need of new fluids, but the vibration is still there.

took a better look at the swaybar end-links and theyre fine along with the shock mounts and inner ball joint. i think ive just about narrowed it down to the outer ball joint.

im still waiting on the FCAs and Fcabs from ecs tuning so hopefully that fixes the issue.

how bad is it to drive with a bad ball joint. i have to drive home from college in order to do the job myself about 250miles all highway

Last edited by Tonymoles; Yesterday at 02:00 PM.