E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
SuperFan86

My Ride: 2003 325i
Headphone Tube Amp Build

A few weeks ago I was talking with my dad about a good project we could do next time I was in town for a weekend. I had been talking about buying a tube amp for my headphones for a little bit, so when he suggested we repurpose an old stereo cabinet I was all for the challenge.

The goal was to make something that looked vintage and used as many original parts as possible. The Oak surround is the surrounding trim off some old countertops, and the front plate was a warning label on the back of the stereo.

The whole project took about 20 hours (long weekend), fried 3 MP3 players, and resulted in at least 5 shocks, but we managed to convert a 1956 Webcore amplifier into a pretty sweet headphone amplifier.

We took a few pictures of the build in progress, but the majority of the pictures were just snapshots of wiring so we could know what we had removed after we cut it.

If anyone is interested, I can post more details.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-16 19.24.26.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	550513   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	550514   Click image for larger version

Name:	side2.jpg
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	550515   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	550516  

Name:	2014-03-16 19.25.18.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	550517   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-17 17.48.56-1.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	550518  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.

Last edited by SuperFan86; 03-18-2014 at 02:24 PM.
SuperFan86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
It looks cool as ****.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
SuperFan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vega View Post
It looks cool as ****.
Thanks! The next step is to incorporate a USB DAC into the unit. Mix in a little modern with the vintage and improve the sound.

right now I'm running an external Fiio E10.

Quote:
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Nice cans! I use the Sennheiser HD 580 Pros. Incredible open ear phones. go them off craigslist for $30, retailed for Over $500 new iirc. Amazing tone and sound, and so comfortable.

I have also found Audio Technica and AKG to be similar to the Sennheisers.

As for the amp, great job. What was the impedance level you used? My headphones are 300ohm and would benefit greatly from an actual amp like this.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F

Nice work though, I wish I knew what I was looking at -- looks awesome.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
my $15 sony earphones are too loud when i put the volume all the way up.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Cool re-purpose. I still use tube amps for guitars all the time and they have a unique, but subtle sound that make me (and many guitarist) prefer them over anything solidstate.

I would replace any electrolytic caps asap, if you have not already- They are really only good for about 10-15 years max and can take out the transformer when they blow.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
my $15 sony earphones are too loud when i put the volume all the way up.
This isn't about making louder headphones.
brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
I know I am playin.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
I know I am playin.

But srs I got it, I found it EXTREMELY funny. Pls don't ban me

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.

Last edited by IdahoToyo; 03-19-2014 at 12:01 PM.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
SuperFan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Nice cans! I use the Sennheiser HD 580 Pros. Incredible open ear phones. go them off craigslist for $30, retailed for Over $500 new iirc. Amazing tone and sound, and so comfortable.

I have also found Audio Technica and AKG to be similar to the Sennheisers.

As for the amp, great job. What was the impedance level you used? My headphones are 300ohm and would benefit greatly from an actual amp like this.
I upgraded from Sony MDR-V6's to the AKGs. I love how neutral they sound. I toyed between these and the 598. Enjoyed them both, but ultimately took a bit of a gamble and bought the Q701 instead. couldn't be happier with the decision.

My cans are 67 ohm, but the amp requires a constant 8 ohm load to not overload the tubes (sorry if I'm explaining this wrong). That's why it has the external speaker output plugs installed with the resistors plugged in. They keep the load on the system at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevik View Post
Cool re-purpose. I still use tube amps for guitars all the time and they have a unique, but subtle sound that make me (and many guitarist) prefer them over anything solidstate.

I would replace any electrolytic caps asap, if you have not already- They are really only good for about 10-15 years max and can take out the transformer when they blow.
Not sure what parts you are talking about, but this thing has a ton of old resistors that I feel a bit sketchy about. One of them is referred to as the "resistor of death" because when it goes bad it apparently grounds 120 volts to the frame. Fortunately when it goes it also makes a hell of a whine in the audio output, so I'm not too worried about it at this point.

I'll attach a picture of the underside, maybe you can help ID what parts are suspect.

I also attached the original wiring schematic we found and pieced back together. Not really helpful as we didn't really know what much of it meant, but I plan on framing the original and keeping it with the amp to further enhance the cool-factor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BWschematic.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	550647   Click image for larger version

Name:	underamp2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	550648  

Quote:

Last edited by SuperFan86; 03-19-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #12
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan86 View Post
I upgraded from Sony MDR-V6's to the AKGs. I love how neutral they sound. I toyed between these and the 598. Enjoyed them both, but ultimately took a bit of a gamble and bought the Q701 instead. couldn't be happier with the decision.

My cans are 67 ohm, but the amp requires a constant 8 ohm load to not overload the tubes (sorry if I'm explaining this wrong). That's why it has the external speaker output plugs installed with the resistors plugged in. They keep the load on the system at all times.
I understand. You need an 8ohm load, so you made an 8ohm load with resistors. I will say you are loosing headroom and quality by doing this though.

As for over loading the tubes, it could be interesting to see what it sounds like. You shouldn't damage anything as long as some load it there, but I'm not sure to what extent, as the difference from 8 to 67 is pretty huge.

2002 M3
Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #13
SuperFan86

Quote:
I understand. You need an 8ohm load, so you made an 8ohm load with resistors. I will say you are loosing headroom and quality by doing this though.

As for over loading the tubes, it could be interesting to see what it sounds like. You shouldn't damage anything as long as some load it there, but I'm not sure to what extent, as the difference from 8 to 67 is pretty huge.
Update to this project:

My dad called yesterday as he was breaking down the old cabinet. He was able to salvage the original preamp. Originally we thought that this was just a basic input switch, but it turned out to be pretty advanced and adds a lot of features that could be useful. It is going to be easy to re-install, so next time I head home we will wire it back in. It should eliminate the need for the 8 ohm resistors and add tone adjustment to the build.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
kaput

Is the preamp tube a 12ZX7? Swap it for a 12AU7. the power will not be effected, but you will get a smoother preamp sound.

2002 M3
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
SuperFan86

Quote:
Is the preamp tube a 12ZX7? Swap it for a 12AU7. the power will not be effected, but you will get a smoother preamp sound.
Not sure what the preamp tubes are. The 4 identical tubes on the amp are 6BQ5's, the single smaller tube is a 12AX7, and the HUGE tube is a 5U4. The preamp tubes are the same size as the 12AX7 but I would assume they are a different model as the 12AX7 is a dual triode and I don't think the preamp would need that.

If I replace the tubes it is going to cost me more than I have into the entire project haha. I might do it though, just go all out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C__Users_barry_AppData_Local_Temp_msohtml1_01_clip_image004.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	550774   Click image for larger version

Name:	C__Users_barry_AppData_Local_Temp_msohtml1_01_clip_image002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	550775  

Quote:

Last edited by SuperFan86; 03-20-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan86 View Post
Not sure what the preamp tubes are. The 4 identical tubes on the amp are 6BQ5's, the single smaller tube is a 12AX7, and the HUGE tube is a 5U4. The preamp tubes are the same size as the 12AX7 but I would assume they are a different model as the 12AX7 is a dual triode and I don't think the preamp would need that.

If I replace the tubes it is going to cost me more than I have into the entire project haha. I might do it though, just go all out.
Of all the tubes you mentioned, the 12AX7 is the preamp tube. The others are for gain stage and power.

If you replace it with anything, find a 1960's vintage NOS tube. My bass amps are all converted, and I won't go back to anything else, even if it turns out to be $50 a tube.

2002 M3
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Subb'd, this looks interesting. I love amplifiers and stuff. Specially old school tube.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #18
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
OP, congrats on a cool project done with your dad !

I actually stumbled across your thread while doing research on this Headphone Tube Amp, & had to read your tube amp build thread........on E46F of all places. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2OQJHF0UCHNPD
This one can be used as both a headphone tube amp & tube preamp for something like a CD player.

I hope you get everything all sorted out, if you figure out how to install that USB, please post up your pics.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #19
t.bird

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
Very cool! Now you need a media player with a digital output, get an external converter and enjoy some pure sound with a bit of tube saturation, while avoiding redundant gain staging. I would love to build a tube amp for my headphones. I finished building a stereo tube mic preamplifier from scratch recently (other than the PCB). I've since inclosed the toroidal transformers to reduce hum but don't have an updated picture.

If you are looking for replacement tubes send me a PM. I have an amazing tube guy that exclusively sells tubes. I've bought several from him over the years. He is extremely helpful and will search through/test a couple dozen tubes before he finds the perfect one/s for your application.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 2(1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	553139   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1(2).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	553140  

Last edited by t.bird; 04-08-2014 at 01:02 AM.
t.bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
SuperFan86

Sorry for the lack of updates. We had a setback and progress on the project over the weekend.

Good news: We found and fixed the problem that was causing one channel to be louder than the other
Bad news: The tube preamp is bad or has something bad in it that creates an unacceptable amount of hum into the system.

I'm in the middle of something at work right now, but I'll post a few more pictures and some details later today.

Quote: