E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Meyle Rotors, Made in CHINA???

Seriously, I just can't take it anymore. This is the SECOND time I've been upset with aftermarket parts that just weren't what they seemed to be.

First time was with an SKF bearing where one box came and actually had a F.A.G. bearing stamped "Made in Germany" on the hub, the other came with "Koyo" and "Made in Japan."

This time, I bought my rotors from ECS tuning, thinking that I was going to get a deal on a quality part made in Germany, I mean Meyle, Germany, RIGHT? They stamp that crap everywhere!

You should see the boxes, "Meyle Germany" stamped EVERYWHERE on the box, german writing everywhere, then you look at the sticker that identifies the part and it clearly says "Made in China". WTF people. I'm going to have to take some pictures of this.

Makes me think that the Meyle Control Arms with replaceable ball joints are also made in China which is why they give a lot of people problems.

No notches on the edge of the Rotor like the OE rotors so you know they're 100% perfectly balanced. The "coating" appears to be decent, but is only in the veins and way inside the hub, not on the outer portion of the hub that remains exposed when you put the wheel on. So I guess I can expect that to rust up real quick.

Bottom line is: What can I expect if I paid about $80 for the pair of fronts and $70 for the rears, right? TRUE, However, a company that makes parts in CHINA and stamps GERMANY all over the place is SKETCHY, PERIOD.

Makes me think of companies like "Hamburg Technic." We all know how great and high quality their parts are. Guess these rotors will not last 7 years like my OE's did. I will have to mount them up and see what happens. Still beats the warped front rotor I have and terribly rusty inside of my rear rotors that won't hold the parking brake.

Not a fault of ECS, but more of a scam in general for companies that make you think you're getting a german made part when it's really outsourced to China for cheap labor.

Next time and every time from now on, it is OE rotors for me. /rant.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
iPhone is made in china. What does location have to do with anything?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
trizzuth

iphones are not equal to cheap aftermarket car parts.

ever put chinese aftermarket parts on your car? I did. I once bought a set of front control arms, control arm bushings and brakets, tie rods and sway bar end links from "Hamburg Technic" back in the day, because they were cheap and I thought, made in germany.

Nope. Lasted me about a year or so, EVERY single part that came in that package was 100% garbage. Lower right ball joint almost totally blew out on my after hitting a meager pothole. It was so loose and knocking so bad that I had to replace it immediately for fear of it coming apart on the highway.

Just saying. Time will tell, that's for sure.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
trizzuth

P.S. I'd also be willing to bet that although iphones are "made in china" 99% of their internal parts are made in Japan, which is what counts. I bet the assembly takes place in china and the parts come from much higher end high quality japanese electronic manufacturers.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Let's hope Meyle has quality control and makes sure these factories' management isn't corrupt and cutting corners.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Let's hope Meyle has quality control and makes sure these factories' management isn't corrupt and cutting corners.
I don't know about other cheap aftermarket rotors, but the lack of the shaved notch on the edge of the rotor to ensure perfect balancing concerns me about the quality of the parts.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
trizzuth

More info here. ug.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...lacement-parts
Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
I hate China!
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
If their quality control is German at the plant or closely monitored I wouldn't worry. It's not like these rotors aren't going to work. I bet I could swap my Zimmerman rotors onto your car and you would not notice the extra "quality". Brake rotors are pretty easy to make. If it really makes you nervous just Ebay them and ship them with USPS prepaid boxes (up to 70 lbs each, flat rate). Then buy some other brand like Zimmerman (who's rotors I just installed) and ATE pads (just installed also). I love them.

Last edited by WDE46; 12-18-2012 at 09:06 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I thought we've been over this, already? Chinese people are humans too. They're probably just as good, if not better, than American workers when it comes to attention to detail and discipline.

Also I think there's this misconception that Meyle is an OEM or German-dedicated company. Their HQ may be based there, but, really they're just an aftermarket company that throws the word Germany around for people like you. Don't worry about it!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
WDE46

I think the "German Engineering" thing is just ridiculous. What makes a German a better engineer than an American? Nothing...
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I think the "German Engineering" thing is just ridiculous. What makes a German a better engineer than an American? Nothing...
Depends but many car companies have different priorities. That's why you're driving a BMW and not some Cadillac of the same era

Design and engineering are one thing, manufacturing and assembly are another.

Open and close a Mercedes or BMW door from 90s to the early 2000s then compare to that from any other car door from any other country. (just one example out of thousands, possibly millions.)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Design and engineering are one thing, manufacturing and assembly are another.

Everyone complains about stuff "made in China" and it's true to an extent. Copy cat parts that are made in China? Probably going to be crap. The problem is QC. If Meyle is in charge of QC'ing the parts, which I'm sure they are because it's their brand image at stake, then it shouldn't be a problem.

China is a country pretty much specialized in manufacturing. It's what they do. With the right oversight who's to say that they can't make quality stuff? They sure as hell have the experience.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
trizzuth

This thread actually makes me feel a little better!

Truth be told: I got what I paid for, I just hope they last as long as they should based on what I paid for em... then I will be happy and I will make sure to always talk about the high level of Chinese quality!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
WDE46

I do always have issues with our Chinese OE suppliers for this plant I work at. It's mostly problems with glass though. They are just stubborn to admit they had a manufacturing defect. Damn Fuyao.

Last edited by WDE46; 12-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
This thread actually makes me feel a little better!

Truth be told: I got what I paid for, I just hope they last as long as they should based on what I paid for em... then I will be happy and I will make sure to always talk about the high level of Chinese quality!
I hope they work out. Keep us updated. I'm sure we're all curious.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
trizzuth

ARrrrgh, who the F moves threads like this?

This was created to get maximum exposure and inform the MOST fanatics that I can about this hidden manufacturing incident. And now that it's way over here in the "suspension and braking" forum, it will hardly get the exposure that it needs.

PUT IT BACK MODS. PLEASE!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Lol, people in this thread complaining about Chinese made goods when over 50% of their household items, electronics, and other pieces they rely on were manufactured in China.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
Lol, people in this thread complaining about Chinese made goods when over 50% of their household items, electronics, and other pieces they rely on were manufactured in China.
You don't depend on household items to make you stop from 80mph in a 3000+lb car. Big difference.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
You don't depend on household items to make you stop from 80mph in a 3000+lb car. Big difference.
What if I told you the steel used in the BMW Original rotors (not to mention nearly every other OEM) was produced in China? This baseless branding of all Chinese-made products as crap is just as ignorant as branding all German-made products as "the best".