E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
bronxbomerss2

My Ride: 05 325CI
Send a message via AIM to bronxbomerss2
Exclamation E-Brake Tension/Tightening

Hey guys so i did a brake job last weekend and didnt adjust the parking brake so i just did last night. Now i got the actual ebrake pads to stop the car by the 6 or 7th click i would say but i can feel when i engage the ebrake fully for the car to stop it leans to the drivers side. I followed the pelicanparts instructions. My only issue i think was getting them to hold at the exact same time with the exact same amount of pressure/friction. Does anyone else have some pointers with that? Or is it a lot of guess and check? Also i am curious if i can just leave my ebrak up lets say 5 or 6 clicks then go back to the adjustment spring and fully tighten it on both sides then knowing both are completely tightened fully and then make sure the bolts on the ebrake lever are stressed fully? Does that make sense or would that not work? Thanks guys!
bronxbomerss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
The handbrake should start to engage on the 3rd click, and be able to hold the car still on the 4th click. I use the adjusting mechanism inside the brake drum for the rough adjustments and the 2 nuts below the handbrake handle for fine tuning. You can adjust the handbrake inside the drum by inserting a flat screwdriver through the hole if you take a look at the rear part of the handbrake drum, below the halfshaft. Personally, I adjusted the handbrake while I changed brake pads so it was far easier to take the rear brake disk and do the adjustment.

Here's my process (the long version):

- Put rear-end of car on jack stands, release handbrake, remove both wheels, calipers and brake disk
- Check/replace brake shoes if worn, clean from dirt/rust etc
- Use the adjustment screw to expand the brake shoes a bit, temporarily re-install brake disk and rotate, if cannot rotate, then you've adjusted too far. The point is to allow the brake disk to rotate and not touch the brake shoes by hairline
- After achieving the hairline slack on both wheels, reinstall everything and lower car.
- Check handbrake if it enganges in the desired way, if not, proceed to next step
- Remove handbrake boot to expose 2 adjustment nuts, used to tension/detension the 2 handbrake steel wires
- Adjust until you achieve the desired lock on 3 clicks.
- Release handbrake, lift each wheel and check that no rubbing occurs

I did this process a few years ago and never had any issues. I know it's a long process, but I usually prefer it this way, because it gives me the opportunity to cleanup everything.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
bronxbomerss2

My Ride: 05 325CI
Send a message via AIM to bronxbomerss2
Thanks for the reply, so i did adjust it manually at shoe level, i removed the caliper, pads, rotors, etc. What i did was fully tighten it on both sides then backed off a little to allow each rotor to spin relatively freely. Now i have no way of knowing if its exactly perfect on each side, meaning both sides are exactly 100% in the same position but i did my best to do so. I then went to the ebrake handle and per the pelican instructions i allowed a little bit of slack in the line at the rest position all the way down and then a full amount of tension by the 4th or 5th click. Like i stated my only issue is the car leans to the drivers side when the ebrake engages so should i adjust it from the ebrake and let the wires be a little different in length since clearly one side is engaging before the other? thanks guys!
bronxbomerss2 is offline   Reply With Quote