E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
jwoolsey

My Ride: 02' 325xi 5spd.
Sun Roof Noise - Tilt open & Stuck

Hey guys,

Recently bought used 02 325xi, sun roof stopped working the other day. It won't open and makes loud crunching noise. Took to a Import (Euro) Repair shop, he told me the headliner needs to be replaced and the cost is around $400 with the right tool.

I've seen alot of DIY instructions on here about fixing it, it's only open a little bit with the tilt. About an inch in the back. Is there anyway I can close the sunroof, or do I just need to get this repaired?
jwoolsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
autoAER

My Ride: 03 325xi,08 335i
check this out

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=485529

if that doesn't work then just take it to the shop, better that they do it then you take a shot and maybe end up costing yourself more
Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
First of all, it doesn't need a "headliner". What fails/breaks on the sunroof are the nylon/plastic tabs on the track/cable. These tabs can be purchased at any BMW Dealer. You said that the sunroof is part way open in the tilted position, correct? You can close it, but it will take some doing. You need to find the 4 torques screws that hold the sunroof to the rails. you need to remove the 4 screws (be careful not to loose them) and lift the sunroof glass out of the car (here a 2nd pair of hands can come in handy. Closely look at the rails (they should be slightly tilted up in the rear) and have someone operate the sunroof switch while you watch the rails move. With broken tab(s), the rails will not move equally on either side. Watch to see which side goes to the "park/closed position". Run the motor again to tilt the window/rails slightly, then have the person move the switch to close again and "help" the rail along that isn't moving fully (you will not hurt the motor or the cables by doing so). Once you have both rails equal and in closed position, lower the sunroof glass back into the car and rails, lightly screw all 4 screws back in and to adjust the glass at full closed, the front edge and the rear edge can be flush with the roof. To do this, again, a 2nd set of hands comes in handy. Snug the screws as you go holding the glass flush with the roof front and rear. When done, you sunroof should be fully closed and sealed, just remember not to hit the switch until the tab(s) are replaced. When you replace the tabs, you will again have to remove the sunroof glass to take the broken tabs off the rail and install the new ones. A dealer gets about $400.00 to do this repair and most times they will install a new cable set along with the tabs. The tabs breaking is a known problem. A Bentley Repair Manual will detail the procedure and more detail than I just did. If you have the patience and time and tools, it is something you can repair yourself.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Remove glass, remove shade, remove broken clips, lube tracks, reinstall the glass. Throw the shade and clips out.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
jwoolsey

My Ride: 02' 325xi 5spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Remove glass, remove shade, remove broken clips, lube tracks, reinstall the glass. Throw the shade and clips out.
Kubica, that's exactly what I did. Sunroof is flush and closed now, from the looks of things I think I need new cables which is probably a pretty expensive fix.
jwoolsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoolsey View Post
Kubica, that's exactly what I did. Sunroof is flush and closed now, from the looks of things I think I need new cables which is probably a pretty expensive fix.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...759&highlight=

Please consult that thread, hopefully it helps give an idea to what maybe going on.

IMO, completely replacing the cassette is way overkill. If you realign the cables and lube everything the sunroof will work just fine.
SilvaBimma is offline   Reply With Quote