E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Beach_Bum
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 922
My Ride: Has 4 Wheels
Anyone use/have used the Olympus OM-D E-M5?

Thinking of selling off my D700 and lenses and picking up an E-M5 with a 35mm and a 75mm (equivalent). No retailers in my area carry them, so I wanted to see if any of you guys have first-hand experience with one.

__________________
Beach_Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
I haven't, but I used to have an Olympus micro 4/3 and my sister has one now and I loved that little camera. They're solidly built, take great pictures, and small enough that you can carry them all the time.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Beach_Bum
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 922
My Ride: Has 4 Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I haven't, but I used to have an Olympus micro 4/3 and my sister has one now and I loved that little camera. They're solidly built, take great pictures, and small enough that you can carry them all the time.
Yeah, that's exactly why I want one.

After shooting little film rangefinders for the last year, I don't think my D700 has left my bag once. I'll still have the 6x7 and 4x5 for more "serious" stuff.
__________________

Last edited by Beach_Bum; 12-19-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Beach_Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,532
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Sounds like you're set then. Whenever I can afford it I'd like to have a 5Diii for specisl occasions and a nice 4/3 to carry around. Go for it, you'll love it.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-19-2012 at 06:21 PM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Beach_Bum
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 922
My Ride: Has 4 Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Sounds like you're set then. Whenever I can afford it I'd like to have a 5Diii for specisl occasions and a nice 4/3 to carry around. Go for it, you'll love it.
Yeah, I think I'll take a chance on it. The limited reviews I've read have praised it. Thanks
__________________
Beach_Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
B8888KC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Where bimmers are overpriced
Posts: 1,435
My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
I own the omd em5. I love the little camera. Make sure you've installed the latest version of lightroom or photoshop if you use it. I had difficulties editing the pics before because when i first got it, lightroom and photoshop didnt support .orf files, but now they do, and i love it even more. Very easy to use. Metering is accurate, and af is much faster than my old panasonic gf1. Great image quality considering it's from a mirrorless camera. I'm pleased with the image quality even with the 12-50 f3.5-6.3 lens that came with the camera. Not a big fan of the touchscreen, though. And the flash that comes in the box is useless for me, but maybe because i already own the olympus FL36R flash.

Cons? Jpeg pics came a little oversharpened, even after i dialed it down. Shooting in raw helps. Touchscreen menu isnt great (maybe im just mot used to touchscreen cameras) but can be disabled. That's about it to me. Did i mention i love the camera?

Last edited by B8888KC; 12-20-2012 at 10:45 PM.
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Beach_Bum
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 922
My Ride: Has 4 Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8888KC View Post
I own the omd em5. I love the little camera. Make sure you've installed the latest version of lightroom or photoshop if you use it. I had difficulties editing the pics before because when i first got it, lightroom and photoshop didnt support .orf files, but now they do, and i love it even more. Very easy to use. Metering is accurate, and af is much faster than my old panasonic gf1. Great image quality considering it's from a mirrorless camera. I'm pleased with the image quality even with the 12-50 f3.5-6.3 lens that came with the camera. Not a big fan of the touchscreen, though. And the flash that comes in the box is useless for me, but maybe because i already own the olympus FL36R flash.

Cons? Jpeg pics came a little oversharpened, even after i dialed it down. Shooting in raw helps. Touchscreen menu isnt great (maybe im just mot used to touchscreen cameras) but can be disabled. That's about it to me. Did i mention i love the camera?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Do the menus need to be accessed through the touch screen or can you toggle with other buttons? Also, do you have any pics from the camera that you'd be willing to post?
__________________
Beach_Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
B8888KC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Where bimmers are overpriced
Posts: 1,435
My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach_Bum View Post
Thanks for your thoughts!

Do the menus need to be accessed through the touch screen or can you toggle with other buttons? Also, do you have any pics from the camera that you'd be willing to post?
You can completely shut off the touchscreen. You can press the OK button to bring uo quick menu, or you can press the menu button for more extensive menus. I actually dont have any pic right now because im on my ipad and wont be returning to my pc for another week, but there are sample pics everywhere on the internet.

Btw i love the art filters! You can even combine 2 filters! I especially love the dramatic tone filter. It's addictive lol
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use