E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #41
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Honestly, the only thing that bothers me about stuff like this is the double standard. I could care less if blacks, latinos, etc express their hatred of whites. If they are going to dish it out though, they should be able to take it in return, which they cannot. They are the ones perpetuating a problem that they complain about, which is ironic.
Is anytime a joke can't be flipped around between two parties a double standard? Double standards are only applicable when the context is the same. If you and I both make the same sexist joke and one of us gets blamed for misogyny and the other one doesn't? That's a double standard.

Is it a double standard if a Jew can joke about the Holocaust but a German can't?
Is it a double standard if an American looks at 9/11 in a light way, as opposed to an Arab?
If it a double standard if you say your kids are brats, but you feel insulted if someone says it about your kids?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #42
Phlipofthe650

My Ride: E46 M3
I see all the points being made here, but I feel that you guys must consider the fact that the white land owners justified their slavery by dehumanizing the black men and women they beat to death.

They didn't just work them to the bone, they took away their humanity, and even convinced the blacks themselves that they weren't human. They even considered black sexuality akin to bestiality. They castrated males and raped the females because they saw them as 'promiscuous, and sexually open'. As in, they could take out all of their lust and their nastiest, most twisted desires on the black females while preserving the 'purity' of the white females. That's why there are the stereotypes about black sexuality even today. Where else did you think those came from?

That was why slavery in the US was pretty damn bad. It might as well have been the worst in history. You didn't see the Kemites pulling this sh!t.

"The Secret to Edutainment is to take Hip Hop beyond Entertainment, leave Baby Land."

-KRS
Phlipofthe650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #43
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlipofthe650 View Post
I see all the points being made here, but I feel that you guys must consider the fact that the white land owners justified their slavery by dehumanizing the black men and women they beat to death.

They didn't just work them to the bone, they took away their humanity, and even convinced the blacks themselves that they weren't human. They even considered black sexuality akin to bestiality. They castrated males and raped the females because they saw them as 'promiscuous, and sexually open'. As in, they could take out all of their lust and their nastiest, most twisted desires on the black females while preserving the 'purity' of the white females. That's why there are the stereotypes about black sexuality even today. Where else did you think those came from?

That was why slavery in the US was pretty damn bad. It might as well have been the worst in history. You didn't see the Kemites pulling this sh!t.
At least they didn't throw them in an arena to fight lions...

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #44
Phlipofthe650

That was purely for entertainment, not to degrade and dehumanize. Which in my mind, is worse. It was equivalent to taking everything a man has and leaving him in disgrace, versus just simply killing him and ending it.

"The Secret to Edutainment is to take Hip Hop beyond Entertainment, leave Baby Land."

-KRS
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #45
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Is anytime a joke can't be flipped around between two parties a double standard? Double standards are only applicable when the context is the same. If you and I both make the same sexist joke and one of us gets blamed for misogyny and the other one doesn't? That's a double standard.

Is it a double standard if a Jew can joke about the Holocaust but a German can't?
Is it a double standard if an American looks at 9/11 in a light way, as opposed to an Arab?
If it a double standard if you say your kids are brats, but you feel insulted if someone says it about your kids?
My point is that they are not treating white people how they want white people to treat them. Until they practice the same behavior they demand of others, they are perpetuating the problem, not resolving it.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #46
Act of God

Quote:
My point is that they are not treating white people how they want white people to treat them. Until they practice the same behavior they demand of others, they are perpetuating the problem, not resolving it.
Agreed completely. Be careful, though, pointing that out can rustle jimmies.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #48
Act of God

Quote:
That was purely for entertainment, not to degrade and dehumanize. Which in my mind, is worse. It was equivalent to taking everything a man has and leaving him in disgrace, versus just simply killing him and ending it.
question, are you black?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #49
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
question, are you black?
Most likely

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #50
Mayo

My Ride: CBR600RR
What is the point of this thread? Everyone knows that white people are the least racist of all, but making a movie about a bunch of racist hypocritical non-white people would not be profitable, documentaries are not generally profitable.

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #51
Phlipofthe650

^yep. Half, actually. Black father, white mother

-KRS
Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #52
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Slavery back then was a completely normal thing, several of the founding fathers even had slaves. It wasn't any stranger than hiring a Mexican from the Home Depot parking lot and paying him $20 a day. Only later they realized that it was a completely fucked up thing to do, live and learn, move on.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #53
Phlipofthe650

^it wasn't that simple.

-KRS
Old 12-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #54
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
I have a solution!

Quote:
Three-Fifths Compromise

The Three-Fifths Compromise was a compromise between Southern and Northern states reached during the Philadelphia convention of 1787 in which three-fifths of the enumerated population of slaves would be counted for representation purposes regarding both the distribution of taxes and the apportionment of the members of the United States House of Representatives. It was proposed by delegates James Wilson and Roger Sherman.

Delegates opposed to slavery generally wished to count only the free inhabitants of each state. Delegates supportive of slavery, on the other hand, generally wanted to count slaves in their actual numbers. Since slaves could not vote, slaveholders would thus have the benefit of increased representation in the House and the Electoral College. The final compromise of counting "all other persons" as only three-fifths of their actual numbers reduced the power of the slave states relative to the original southern proposals, but increased it over the northern position.

The Three-Fifths Compromise is found in Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States Constitution:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
Contents

The three-fifths ratio was not a new concept. It originated with a 1783 amendment proposed to the Articles of Confederation. The amendment was to have changed the basis for determining the wealth of each state, and hence its tax obligations, from real estate to population, as a measure of ability to produce wealth. The proposal by a committee of the Congress had suggested that taxes "shall be supplied by the several colonies in proportion to the number of inhabitants of every age, sex, and quality, except Indians not paying taxes."

The South immediately objected to this formula since it would include slaves, who were viewed primarily as property, in calculating the amount of taxes to be paid. As Thomas Jefferson wrote in his notes on the debates, the southern states would be taxed "according to their numbers and their wealth conjunctly, while the northern would be taxed on numbers only."

After proposed compromises of 1/2 by Benjamin Harrison of Virginia and 3/4 by several New Englanders failed to gain sufficient support, Congress finally settled on the 3/5 ratio proposed by James Madison. But this amendment ultimately failed, falling two states short of the unanimous approval required for amending the Articles of Confederation (only New Hampshire and New York were opposed).

The proposed ratio was, however, a ready solution to the impasse that arose during the Constitutional Convention. In that situation, the alignment of the contending forces was the reverse of what had obtained under the Articles of Confederation. In amending the Articles, the North wanted slaves to count for more than the South did, because the objective was to determine taxes paid by the states to the federal government. In the Constitutional Convention, the more important issue was representation in Congress, so the South wanted slaves to count for more than the North did.

"Much has been said of the impropriety of representing men who have no will of their own. ...They are men, though degraded to the condition of slavery. They are persons known to the municipal laws of the states which they inhabit, as well as to the laws of nature. But representation and taxation go together. ...Would it be just to impose a singular burden, without conferring some adequate advantage?" - Alexander Hamilton

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 12-19-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #55
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
...any grounds for complaints or are these complaints just hyperbolic whining and easy paychecks for these writers?
It's whining.

It's a Tarantino movie, for Christ's sake. This brand of b!tching stems from a fear of becoming a minority in the U.S., which is an inevitability. Poor, poor white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #56
Fergo

Quote:
Honestly, the only thing that bothers me about stuff like this is the double standard. I could care less if blacks, latinos, etc express their hatred of whites. If they are going to dish it out though, they should be able to take it in return, which they cannot. They are the ones perpetuating a problem that they complain about, which is ironic.
Agree x1000

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #57
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
It's whining.

It's a Tarantino movie, for Christ's sake. This brand of b!tching stems from a fear of becoming a minority in the U.S., which is an inevitability. Poor, poor white people.
No wonder the US is in such a sad state of affairs.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #58
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergo_the_mule View Post
no wonder the us is in such a sad state of affairs.
ha!
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #59
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Why people continue to bring up slavery in this country is irrelevant. People who can't move past racism and slavery are ignorant and close-minded. White males today have no control over what happened in history and yet I tend to feel a little irritated by it because I have not done anything to negatively affect anyone's life. I think the history of slavery needs to be ripped out textbooks in schools or cut back because that's the only subject "some" people come out of school knowing so much about and they tend to focus on making a priority of getting it out in the media. It's like people are fixated on the negatives of this country and not what made it so great. There shouldn't be prefixes to the word American either...everyone should be calling themselves "American" only. It's now truly a land of equal opportunity and fairness.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 12-19-2012 at 04:44 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #60
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
It's whining.

Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 12-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote