E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #81
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I see you fuuckers spending $300 on shoes dude. That sh1t is absurd to me.
hey hey hey! get your facts straight

$600
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #82
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
I get most of my business attire from Brooks Brothers, looks great and are decently priced.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #83
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
hey hey hey! get your facts straight

$600
I buy $600 shoes for $300
Come at me, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
I get most of my business attire from Brooks Brothers, looks great and are decently priced.
Brooks brothers is my go-to for all my dressing up needs
They have great sales that make it affordable

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #84
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Banana republic has some good ones, they have a 50% off sale right now. I pick up a suit for $290ish
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #85
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
personally, i'd recommend against express. i find that their clothes always look great for the first couple wears, and then the fabric practically disintegrates because it's so poorly made. that's acceptable for a cheap shirt, but it's not something i'd want in a suit.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #86
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
I buy $600 shoes for $300
Come at me, bro

Brooks brothers is my go-to for all my dressing up needs
They have great sales that make it affordable

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
And you drive a 10yo BMW. Honestly, reading this thread is ridiculous. Go to Macy's, buy a nice suit and have it tailored. We aren't women, no need to be caught up in marketing and brands.

You're 2x yo and probably don't make over 35k a year. There are better things to spend you money on than a suit to impress strangers on the internet.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #87
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
And you drive a 10yo BMW. Honestly, reading this thread is ridiculous. Go to Macy's, buy a nice suit and have it tailored. We aren't women, no need to be caught up in marketing and brands.

You're 2x yo and probably don't make over 35k a year. There are better things to spend you money on than a suit to impress strangers on the internet.
I'm 30 and make more than that. I just know not to waste money
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #88
5speed5er

My Ride: TreTreFive
My favorites
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356472285.235311.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	483399   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356472310.840409.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	483400  
Old 12-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #89
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Quote:

Well if you don't have a $500/mo new car payment, why not splurge a little on a good suit. IIRC, this dude lost a good deal of weight in the past couple years - if feeling "GQ" was his goal and it makes him happy, more power to him.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #90
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:

A lot of assumptions here
And your definition of nice is different from mine

And about the 10 year old bmw (actually 11.5 yrs old) ...
it shows that something well made, with proper care, can last you a long time and still look good

This is the same with my $300 shoes
I did not buy some gucci or ferragamo (studio line) crap that is overpriced because of the name (the higher line gucci and ferragamos are actually very nice... but the tremezza line is $1000)
Allen edmonds, crockett&jones, and alfred sargent are shoemakers that make quality footwear that will stand the test of time, both in quality and style
They can and do last over 10 years and they are menswear staples so it is worth spending extra money on quality

Come at me, bro

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 12-25-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #91
Fergo

Quote:

WTF is all I have to say at this idiotic post.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #92
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

If you don't see the value in a nice suit or shoes, yet spend thousands of dollars on wheels and bodykits, then you are just immature
If you think spending several hundred dollars to squeeze out an extra 10-15hp is worth it, but don't think spending an extra hundred or two to clothe your body with clothes of better quality and construction is worth it... then that is your prerogative

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Old 12-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #93
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
If you don't see the value in a nice suit or shoes, yet spend thousands of dollars on wheels and bodykits, then you are just immature
If you think spending several hundred dollars to squeeze out an extra 10-15hp is worth it, but don't think spending an extra hundred or two to clothe your body with clothes of better quality and construction is worth it... then that is your prerogative

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
Word, in a professional work environment you are judged by the way you dress, you just can't go to men's warehouse and pick out a crap ass suit you would look like a fool.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #94
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Word, in a professional work environment you are judged by the way you dress, you just can't go to men's warehouse and pick out a crap ass suit you would look like a fool.
Unless you're in public accounting - we can get away with the most bland, non-fitted crap imaginable
Old 12-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #95
5speed5er

My Ride: TreTreFive
So Ferragamo and Gucci aren't good shoes? I love the ones I've worn, and none of them were the top of the line. In fact I have some guccis that are over 20 years old I think, and they seem more than fine to me.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #96
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed5er View Post
So Ferragamo and Gucci aren't good shoes? I love the ones I've worn, and none of them were the top of the line. In fact I have some guccis that are over 20 years old I think, and they seem more than fine to me.
In general, you pay a huge markup for gucci and ferragamo
And I will bet that your 20 yr old gucci is 5-10x better made than the stuff gucci puts out today in the same line

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Old 12-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #97
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

And I didn't finish my little comparison between car modding and clothes
I use the car modding example since we are on a bmw site after all

Some people will counter that the money spent on modding the cars are worth it because there is actual performance gain
More power, better traction, better handling
More fun, more safety
Okay I can accept that
But 99% of the people out there do not know what the heck you have done to your car and what real or perceived benefit you may gain from modding
But the important thing is that YOU know and YOU appreciate that improvement in your car, right?

When you wear crappy suits and that is all you know, then you aren't missing out
If you wear a suit once or twice a year, it's like someone who doesn't drive regularly renting a run of the mill rental car
You just need something that gets the job done
And since you don't drive all the time, you don't really have something to compare it to

But if you drive enough, you develop an appreciation for a car's performance and all the little things that add to the driving experience
In the same way, once you try wearing that full canvassed suit ... the leather sole shoes with goodyear welt construction ... the shirt made of Egyptian cotton and tailored to fit your body.... you can never go back
You just don't know til you try it

And although 99% of the people may not realize the difference, YOU will know and YOU can feel and appreciate the difference
that is what matters

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 12-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #98
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

We often call tires/wheels "shoes"
Tires look the same
Black rubber rings
But there is a huge difference in price
Why?
Some people put the cheapest tires they can find on the m3 while others insist on certain brands and models that cost 3-4x more
Is it all the same?
Tire noise, traction, braking distance, wet/dry performance... people who value these spend that extra money while others choose to save some money and spend it elsewhere

When you find that pair of shoes that break in and mold to the shape of your foot ... the angle and width of the instep, heel, toe box .... when you find it, there is no going back to kenneth coles and boss shoes

And it isn't necessarily about what is more expensive
There are expensive crap out there
You just have to do your own research and find the brands that are well made and, most importantly, fit YOU

Whew that was a friggin essay
I am waiting to be seated at a seafood restaurant
So come at me

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 12-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #99
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

There is no need for any attitude or hostility here
This is a grown up discussion over the merits of a certain type of clothing

What I wrote is not bashing or belittling
Some people who posted here have this idea that all suits are the same and seem to think that $300 is where a suit stops being "worth it"
I just made some analogies to present it in such a way that most members on e46f should be able to at least understand and appreciate

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #100
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed5er View Post
Not to sound pompous, but do the math

Ferragamo can be had for between $400-$500 at your local Nordstroms, with rubber sole, glued together, with some pretty nice leather.

Allen Edmonds, for a relatively cheaper $335 going rate for most of their shoes, come with just as good quality leather, leather soles, and 360 degree Goodyear welted. Do some research or see below. Ferragamo's "Tramezza" line (which is made like the Allen Edmonds) start around $700 and above... double the price for the same craftsmanship as AE.

(i have no idea why the url isn't posting, but just search "Allen Edmonds Recrafting" at youtube. Its a 2:00 video.

Now, back to suits, since this is the topic of the thread. If you care about what you are wearing, and quality is somewhat of a factor, you will at least want to try to find a half canvased suit in the $400-$500 range. If you don't know what I am talking about, google is your friend, lots of info out there about quality suits. Now, if you buy a suit at Kohl's for $160, is it going to fall apart after a couple wears? Hell no. However certain people take pride in the clothes that they wear, just like everyone takes pride in the car they drive. 20 years down the road, I bet you will be happy you spend a hundred or two extra and got a hell of a bargain rather than spending the money on a suit that was just built cheaper.

My BB suit cost $450 on sale, the wool itself (120's I believe) is worth the extra $100-$150 than your Macy's run of the mill Tommy Hillfiger/DNKY/etc suit, not to mention it is half canvased, and also made in Italy, which is trivial, obviously, but hell, who wouldn't want an Italian suit over a Malaysian suit.

You pay for what you get, and when you can get great things on sale, even if they are still at a premium, you can't go wrong.

Last edited by JJR4884; 12-25-2012 at 10:36 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote