E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
jetblacke46guy

My Ride: 05 E46 M3 SMG
What is this?

Ive got an 05 M3 SMG with 125xxx miles on it and Im fairly new to the whole SMG thing, I understand how to drive it and all, its not rocket science, but there are a few things that have been bugging me that I was hoping you guys had the answer for.

1 - 1st to 2nd gear from a stand still. I usually drive in S4, I dont hammer it and I usually keep my shift point at 3k rpms ish, but I cant seem to get this shift seamless. Is it just me? It always feels like the car hesitates and then shifts to
2nd. No matter the throttle smoothness or what, I cant seem to just pull off and shift to 2nd without some sort of clunk. Not a serious clunk, no warning lights or anything are on or anything, is that just the SMG? or is my clutch going out?
-It is worse in the cold. I know the pump has to warm up and all, but dang man.

2 - Whenever I go to coast to a stop from 5th or 4th or whatever gear I may be in, there seems to be a shudder coming from under my seat. I can feel the SMG engage the clutch and as my RPMs and coasting down, right at around 2k RPM or so the same sort of humming happens. I dont feel it in the steering wheel, it seems to be coming from under the center of the car. Also, if im just putting around my neighborhood in 2nd and holding it right at or a little above 2k RPM I feel it. From what Im gathering from research, I think my flex coupling (guibo or whatever) needs replacing, and while I was at it I was going to replace the driveshaft mount while I had everything pulled apart.

I was really hoping yall knew what this was by eye or feel before I went and spent the money on something that didnt need replacing. When I jack up my car here in a few weeks to replace my brakes Im going to pull the shield off and check everything out down there.

Last edited by jetblacke46guy; 12-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.
jetblacke46guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
The "shudder" you feel at 2k is normal, from what I've read. On mine with 99,000 miles it does that also.

Last edited by Steezy; 12-22-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
jetblacke46guy

If i have to come to a sudden stop from crusing speed, 50 or so, and have to get on my brakes hard it "shudders" harder than it would if I was in second or so. Same for you? And I dont mean I feel it harder in my brakes, its the same feeling from under the car, just a more intense "shudder"

Last edited by jetblacke46guy; 12-22-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Try shifting at 3500-4000 rpms. It sounds high, but its the smoothest shift point for 1st and 2nd gear. Also, have you checked your subframe bushings?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Take it to a shop and have them reteach the SMG clutch points.

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
jetblacke46guy

I noticed today, I think it is coming from the clutch. I was rolling to a stop and as it started making the humming/shudder I threw it into neutral and it stopped. Im assuming my clutch is just bad or something now.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblacke46guy View Post
If i have to come to a sudden stop from crusing speed, 50 or so, and have to get on my brakes hard it "shudders" harder than it would if I was in second or so. Same for you? And I dont mean I feel it harder in my brakes, its the same feeling from under the car, just a more intense "shudder"
No. Mine doesn't shudder at all when coming to a stop. It only "shudders" very slightly when in first and second year at 1-2k RPM. It also shudders only when cold. When oil temperature is normal, it stops.
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote