E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
tsawyer

My Ride: e53 x5 2004
Intro and Dynavin Android D99+ comments/questions

Hi Everyone,

A quick introduction. After lurking here for a while and reading up on things, I purchased a D99+ Andriod version for my 2004 X5 (E53) from Jeff at J&T. I am pleased so far with the unit and aside from a few quirks, I have almost everything done with my install (pics to come in a day or two). Aside from the unit itself, I also added a backup cam (ebay Koolertron variety) to the trunk trim handle which was about as fun as I expected wiring-wise, but that aside it is (mostly) working as expected an I am happy with it.

So, here are my questions ... I did search pretty extensively around on the forums/internet for answers before posting these but nothing I have found as of yet has really answered them. Any input (preferably positive!) is greatly appreciated.

1) I have installed my reverse cam and I can see the video if I switch to the cam input, but it does not switch automatically when I put it in reverse. I have the system setting set for camera only. I did not run the ‘reverse’ wire because I thought that the bus sent that info and the wire was not needed. Am I missing something? I do have the cam wired to a switched 12v so that it is always on, but I did try unplugging the video feed, putting it into reverse, then plugging in the feed to see if it was triggered by the input signal and that did not seem to make a difference.

2) My steering wheel controls are a bit erratic. If I hit volume up continuously, it will either go up the first five or six times then stop for another five or six presses, or it won’t go up at all for the first five or six presses and then it starts responding. The same applies for volume down and track up and down. I checked the bus interface box and it is secure and trying unplugging and replugging without any change. I have pulled the bus interface box and reflashed it just in case - with the no-obc/no-odc firmware - but the issue is the same. I am wondering if this is possibly related to issue #1 above as well.

3) The touchscreen is flakey - from what I can tell only on the Andriod side. I calibrated it on both sides of the hardware, but when I am running on the android side I get unusual results. What happens is that the system will trigger a tap on the previous area of the screen, even if you are typing somewhere else – ie, if I type the letter “D” and then the letter “O”, the system will register another “D” when I press the “O” on the screen. It is not just the keyboard either – lots of times tapping the back arrow will result in the ‘last tapped’ point on the screen to be triggered instead. I have gone as far as reflashing the firmware with the latest stock version, but it is still happening. I have also tried to replicate it on the non-android side, but have not seen it happen there yet. Is anyone else reporting this type of issue, or could there be a HW problem on the android side of things? I can reproduce it pretty easy, so if a video example would help I can post one up.

One last comment to share was with the wiring of the backup cam from the rear hatch to the front. I was dreading running the wire under the carpet and all the way up to the front, including removing the seat and such as per the posts I have seen for other installs. My idea, which fortunately worked, was to just run the wire straight out the hatch grommet and all the way inside the passenger side headliner, then down the front passenger front pillar and behind the glovebox into the Dynavin. I'm sure I am not the first to do it this way, but thought I would mention it since I did not run across anyone else running it this way and found it to work pretty well.

I appreciate any comments anyone has on my questions and would be happy to try and answer anyone else's as well. Thanks in advance!

Tom
tsawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsawyer View Post
1) I have installed my reverse cam and I can see the video if I switch to the cam input, but it does not switch automatically when I put it in reverse. I have the system setting set for camera only. I did not run the ‘reverse’ wire because I thought that the bus sent that info and the wire was not needed. Am I missing something? I do have the cam wired to a switched 12v so that it is always on, but I did try unplugging the video feed, putting it into reverse, then plugging in the feed to see if it was triggered by the input signal and that did not seem to make a difference.
You need to connect the reverse trigger wire to the reverse light circuit. Some dynavin installs do this via the canbus but the E53 is not one of them. You must use the reverse trigger wire.

Quote:
2) My steering wheel controls are a bit erratic. If I hit volume up continuously, it will either go up the first five or six times then stop for another five or six presses, or it won’t go up at all for the first five or six presses and then it starts responding. The same applies for volume down and track up and down. I checked the bus interface box and it is secure and trying unplugging and replugging without any change. I have pulled the bus interface box and reflashed it just in case - with the no-obc/no-odc firmware - but the issue is the same. I am wondering if this is possibly related to issue #1 above as well.

Unrelated to #1, could be a lot of things, could be a flaky box, could be a bad connection, you might try moving the ibus wiring around while pressing the button to see if you can replicate the issue. In general the steering wheel buttons are pretty reliable.....

Quote:
3) The touchscreen is flakey - from what I can tell only on the Andriod side. I calibrated it on both sides of the hardware, but when I am running on the android side I get unusual results. What happens is that the system will trigger a tap on the previous area of the screen, even if you are typing somewhere else – ie, if I type the letter “D” and then the letter “O”, the system will register another “D” when I press the “O” on the screen. It is not just the keyboard either – lots of times tapping the back arrow will result in the ‘last tapped’ point on the screen to be triggered instead. I have gone as far as reflashing the firmware with the latest stock version, but it is still happening. I have also tried to replicate it on the non-android side, but have not seen it happen there yet. Is anyone else reporting this type of issue, or could there be a HW problem on the android side of things? I can reproduce it pretty easy, so if a video example would help I can post one up.
I assume you took the protective plastic off the screen?

Recalibrate the screen hardware....go to the radio settings>DISPLAY, then press the upper right of the screen, follow the prompts. Once that is done, calibrate again in the android menu, that should get the hardware AND the software all on the same page.

If that doesnt do it, make there is no debris between the screen and bezel, run a business card around the perimeter to make sure there is no junk wedged in there that could be putting pressure on the screen.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
jwbeck17

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I just got a D99+ and am trying to resolve an issue with the Parrot bluetooth. When I play media over Bluetooth, the music sounds distorted, as if I am overdriving the speakers, even at a low volume. Seems to sound fine when connected to the iPod connector. I have adjusted the amp settings as per the hidden system menu. Any ideas?
jwbeck17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Not something I have ever heard of.....does your phone have a volume controls? If so, maybe turn them down?

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
jwbeck17

It sounds odd, doesn't it? I don't think that the volume control would be the issue, but weirder things have happened. Will try it out.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
jwbeck17

Well I'll be... The Bluetooth volume was the culprit. Never had that issue before with other bluetooth units, but I realize now that those units controlled the volume on the phone as opposed to the unit.

Jeff, you are a lifesaver once again!

Tags
android, dynavin