E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
jewelryfever

My Ride: 2000 323i
Stalls when hot

2000 323i stock Been in for service, can't figure it out. Check engine light is on, but turns off after 50 miles or so. It only stalls when hot or humid out, I have no problems in the winter or fall. She starts up again after 10 seconds of cranking. Sometimes she stalls again. I have never been stranded however. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jewelryfever; 06-16-2006 at 01:18 PM.
jewelryfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
MDD2005

My Ride: 328i Sport Pckge
stalling

i have been having a similar problem with stalling while hot. Both times happened when i downshifted into second while slowing down. I realized the car had stalled when the clutch engaged. A guy at the local dealership said additives in gas have been causing this problem but i am not convinced. Incidentally, i just got the following codes the other day: P1250, P1188, P1189, P0441. From what i have read 1250 may have been caused by running low on gas, 0441 from loose gas cap which i discovered after full serve fill-up. 1188 and 1889 seem to be related to pre cat O2 sensors though i just changed bank 2 not too long ago. Additionally, I have been getting a clicking noise when A/C is on (once very loud), and seem to be having unusual lack of power with a/c engaged. Not sure if any or all of this stuff is related. Are you having any of these issues?
MDD2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #3
BimmerBoy323

My Ride: 2002 330i sport pkg.
OH MY GOODNESS!! It happened to me too! I noticed it acting really sluggish when first starting off from a stop and one day it cut completely off on me at a stoplight. Oddly enough, I put some gas treatment in that was supposed to clean all the injectors and whatnot and I haven't had the problem since. I dont know if thats what fixed it or not but hey, its cheap and worth a try!
BimmerBoy323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
jewelryfever

MDD2005 I don't have any of the AC problems. But I would clear out all the codes and check it again, some of them should disappear ie loose gas cap, unless we have a crack in a vent or emisson control device. I had a erratic idle problem repaired that I could not figure out on my own. I brought it in to an independent and he injected smoke into the suspected area of the leak and found a crack in a vaccum hose. I also have a lack of power but only after the car is re-started after it has stalled, this is because the computer runs on limp mode and de powers the engine, the check engine light comes on. Looks like I may have to bring it to the shop, ouch $$$
jewelryfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
tlb11111

I have been looking around as a guest in the last month or so. I have learned a lot from this site; repaired ambient temperature sensor, cleaned disa valve, and just today replaced the intake cam position sensor which was the cause of all my engine troubles once it got up to operating temperature. The car would exhibit no power, sometime shut off immediately once it was started, crank excessively before it would start, stall sometimes when idling. Thanks to many threads and reading what others had posted, I confidently concluded that it was in fact the cps. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, it is a very easy fix. The hardest part was disconnecting the connector, but that is fairly simple if you remove the air box assembly, and the filter can remain in the box. Also, there is no need to remove the oil filter housing assembly cap. There is plenty of room to get a L-shaped 5 mm allen wrench in there. I hope this helps someone.
tlb11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
darrenburnell23

My Ride: 323i SE
@tlb11111 Ive been having the same problems as you at operating temp Im sure. Just bought a new Intake CPS and will be replacing it asap. Quick question, did yours come with a new seal or did you just use the old one?? mine didnt come with a seal
darrenburnell23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
tlb11111

Mine came with a new o-ring, should be no big deal if you use the old one though.
tlb11111 is offline   Reply With Quote