E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
More on stock BMW struts/shocks and mounts (video)

From BMPdesign:

This will generally apply to our cars as well. Pay attention at 4 minutes onwards

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Very good post! Thanks!
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
A couple small errors but all in all a good video.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
A couple small errors but all in all a good video.
Yeah sometimes he might get certain terms mixed up or interpreted strangely. not much planning/scripting goes into his videos. but generally the idea he's trying to come across is change your shocks/struts and mounts regularly.

btw i know one of them you're referring to is "weight of the vehicle being supported" technically yes that's incorrect. but i think he was trying to say was that the weight of the car lowered down on the struts/shocks is what should be required to push them down into their natural position as opposed to gravity or light hand pressure.

ever try pushing a bilstein sport (or even a new OE strut/shock) down by hand? good luck! bilstein=probably not happening and oe=you'd need to invert it and push down with a lot (if not all) of your body weight.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Any videos/DIYs on straightening the sheet metal where the strut mount bolts to?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I think I'm going to be replacing my front struts and mounts on my 325i in the coming weeks
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
I just wanted to post my experiences with this as I just replaced the shocks/struts and mounts on my E46 this past Sunday. Mind you this car had 153k miles on a completely original suspension so it's mostly just with age. I had symptoms of the whole car having a "shifty" feeling when going over expansion joints, the rear end was sloppy and liked to kick out a little when going around corners at higher rates of speed, and on rough roads you could actually hear the struts rattling in the passenger floorboard.

Got the rear shocks out first because they were easiest to do and they were completely dead. As in there was absolutely no re-bound when you pushed it down into the shock. I was basically riding on springs back there, and that explains why the rear end was always so finicky feeling. The mounts didn't look bad and had no cracks but I replaced those and put the new shocks in. Moving to the front was more difficult and since this was my first suspension install I was very careful. The front struts didn't appear to be as bad with rebound as the rear shocks, but they were still used for sure. The strut mounts though, they were bad. Looking underneath the mount the whole area was cracked around the mount. On top of that, the rebounds were so harsh from the struts that both front bump stops were destroyed.

Got the springs mounted on the new struts and had the car aligned and the difference is insane. The car handles so much better now. The ride is smoother and much more responsive when going over bumps in the road. There aren't any funny noises coming from the car any longer. It tracks better down the road, though I still need to replace my RTAB and such and get an alignment at BMW because the car pulls to the right a little bit. I didn't pay for that alignment so no biggie there. My whole point here is if your car has any symptoms like my car did and you have over 100k on an original suspension, do yourself a favor and go ahead and get it replaced.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
I just wanted to post my experiences with this as I just replaced the shocks/struts and mounts on my E46 this past Sunday. Mind you this car had 153k miles on a completely original suspension so it's mostly just with age. I had symptoms of the whole car having a "shifty" feeling when going over expansion joints, the rear end was sloppy and liked to kick out a little when going around corners at higher rates of speed, and on rough roads you could actually hear the struts rattling in the passenger floorboard.

Got the rear shocks out first because they were easiest to do and they were completely dead. As in there was absolutely no re-bound when you pushed it down into the shock. I was basically riding on springs back there, and that explains why the rear end was always so finicky feeling. The mounts didn't look bad and had no cracks but I replaced those and put the new shocks in. Moving to the front was more difficult and since this was my first suspension install I was very careful. The front struts didn't appear to be as bad with rebound as the rear shocks, but they were still used for sure. The strut mounts though, they were bad. Looking underneath the mount the whole area was cracked around the mount. On top of that, the rebounds were so harsh from the struts that both front bump stops were destroyed.

Got the springs mounted on the new struts and had the car aligned and the difference is insane. The car handles so much better now. The ride is smoother and much more responsive when going over bumps in the road. There aren't any funny noises coming from the car any longer. It tracks better down the road, though I still need to replace my RTAB and such and get an alignment at BMW because the car pulls to the right a little bit. I didn't pay for that alignment so no biggie there. My whole point here is if your car has any symptoms like my car did and you have over 100k on an original suspension, do yourself a favor and go ahead and get it replaced.
Any issues compressing the front springs? Do you have the sport suspension?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
The springs were annoying but we did this at a friends shop so he had a machine that compressed the springs for me. They went on easily enough, though one side of the car sits maybe 1 or 2 mm higher than the other. Not enough of a difference to bother me. As for the suspension, its a non-sport 323i. I put Bilstein Touring shocks/struts on the car.