E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Yeah I know I will get a "hell no", the issue is it's a hell no with no facts. Which is what bothers me. At least "VANOS sucks" has documented failures. Water pump with metal impeller sucks because puts more stress on bearing, if it breaks down you will have metal parts in your engine. All these things make sense.

The Raceland cheap coilover argument is pretty much based on price. The indy mechanic sucks because he is only charging you $500 instead of $3000 the dealer charges. I'm just going to fix my 1 spring and try to fix my rear shuddering issue. Just wanted to know for the future when i refreshed the suspension.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
M3JetBlack

My Ride: 2002 M3
Seriously, go with what YOU want. We are just giving you an opinion. If you want to go cheap, get raceland or something similar. If you want the feeling that your car is riding on high quality and tested parts, get something like bilstein, st, kw, or anything similar. You drive a BMW...right? Not some Honda with cut springs. Please use quality parts and do things the proper way.

Yes, some people do have good experiences with cheap coil overs, but that doesn't mean you will. Those pictures only show one incident, but there are many more. What if that happened to you?

Kinesis Wheels / BC Coils / Rogue El Diablo / SuperSprint / CPI / Vorsteiner / ESS

Instagram: @somuchcalitis
M3JetBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #23
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_E46Fan View Post
Seriously, go with what YOU want. We are just giving you an opinion. If you want to go cheap, get raceland or something similar. If you want the feeling that your car is riding on high quality and tested parts, get something like bilstein, st, kw, or anything similar. You drive a BMW...right? Not some Honda with cut springs. Please use quality parts and do things the proper way.

Yes, some people do have good experiences with cheap coil overs, but that doesn't mean you will. Those pictures only show one incident, but there are many more. What if that happened to you?
I'm not going to worry about a freak 1 in a million problem. What If a truck hits me on the highway and I die? Funny part is i've read bilstein struts fail where as nothing about raceland. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=778601

What I want is an OEM comparable suspension feel/performance without spending 1K on a suspension system.

Last edited by gselsidi; 12-23-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #24
M3JetBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
I'm not going to worry about a freak 1 in a million problem. What If a truck hits me on the highway and I die? Funny part is i've read bilstein struts fail where as nothing about raceland. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=778601

What I want is an OEM comparable suspension feel/performance without spending 1K on a suspension system.
I dont think there is anything comparable to OEM that is way under 1K. Maybe that is why the OEM suspension isn't cheap. Since the OEM suspension isn't cheap, neither will the high quality parts that are OEM quality.

Kinesis Wheels / BC Coils / Rogue El Diablo / SuperSprint / CPI / Vorsteiner / ESS

Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #25
gselsidi

Quote:
I dont think there is anything comparable to OEM that is way under 1K. Maybe that is why the OEM suspension isn't cheap. Since the OEM suspension isn't cheap, neither will the high quality parts that are OEM quality.
why do people say our struts fail at 50k then? My spring failed at 99k. That doesn't seem very high quality.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #26
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Yeah I know I will get a "hell no", the issue is it's a hell no with no facts. Which is what bothers me. At least "VANOS sucks" has documented failures. Water pump with metal impeller sucks because puts more stress on bearing, if it breaks down you will have metal parts in your engine. All these things make sense.

The Raceland cheap coilover argument is pretty much based on price. The indy mechanic sucks because he is only charging you $500 instead of $3000 the dealer charges. I'm just going to fix my 1 spring and try to fix my rear shuddering issue. Just wanted to know for the future when i refreshed the suspension.

Racelands have been classified as garbage because they are. Ride and handle like crap, barely last their short warranty (if that).

I typed out a pretty nasty reply for you, but I figured you're just another broke 20-something with an entry level, decade old 3-series.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #27
gselsidi

I'm not going to get the racelands will just keep my stock set up or get a koni or fk kit. Their short warranty even the 1k kits have 1-2yr warranties. It's just funny how they are labeled as crap with no evidence supporting this claim.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #28
M3JetBlack

Quote:
I'm not going to get the racelands will just keep my stock set up or get a koni or fk kit. Their short warranty even the 1k kits have 1-2yr warranties. It's just funny how they are labeled as crap with no evidence supporting this claim.
Have you checked out H&R cup kits? Pretty good. And cheap(er) as well.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #29
gselsidi

Quote:
Have you checked out H&R cup kits? Pretty good. And cheap(er) as well.
How is the comfort quality? Also, the metal material they are made out of will it rust or break down? Any failures with these I didn't read any when i searched.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #30
gselsidi

i might get these because of the lifetime warranty http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...Kit/ES2588149/ will have to find about comfort.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #31
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Imo, FK Streetlines are the best budget, entry level coilovers. Ran em on my car for about 6 months (they're actually for sale right now).

Great german-made reputation, peace of mind, and can go stupid low if you take perches and helper springs out. Yea its not the best quality ride, but what do you expect from a lowered car?

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #32
M3JetBlack

Quote:
How is the comfort quality? Also, the metal material they are made out of will it rust or break down? Any failures with these I didn't read any when i searched.
Not too sure about ride quality, but i hear its not too bad. I havent been in a car with the cup kit...but for real, i have ridden in a car with race land. The back end was bouncy and felt like it didn't stick to the road. That is one reason why they feel cheap.

But the cup kits are really good. Are you just "refreshing" your suspension or going low?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #33
LeoP

My Ride: Supra
I've experienced with brands starting from starting from D sport to Tein to HKS and up to KW. I could definitely tell the difference in ride quality but for what I could afford, I was happy. HTH

Leo
Old 12-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #34
gselsidi

Quote:
Not too sure about ride quality, but i hear its not too bad. I havent been in a car with the cup kit...but for real, i have ridden in a car with race land. The back end was bouncy and felt like it didn't stick to the road. That is one reason why they feel cheap.

But the cup kits are really good. Are you just "refreshing" your suspension or going low?
Just refreshing but wouldn't mind going a bit lower. I want something firm yet very comfortable, not like I hit potholes or bumps I avoid them but still want a very smooth ride. Maybe I'll just buy my own springs and shocks.

Anyone know how the hr springs with the koni strt shocks ride compared to oem?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #35
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
I've experienced with brands starting from starting from D sport to Tein to HKS and up to KW. I could definitely tell the difference in ride quality but for what I could afford, I was happy. HTH

Leo
What did you get?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
gselsidi

I've ridden in my fiances brothers New Shelby and that thing was brutal made you want to puke.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #37
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Imo, FK Streetlines are the best budget, entry level coilovers. Ran em on my car for about 6 months (they're actually for sale right now).

Great german-made reputation, peace of mind, and can go stupid low if you take perches and helper springs out. Yea its not the best quality ride, but what do you expect from a lowered car?
Only concern I had with them was rust proofing them. I think I'm just going to go for springs and shocks I like the idea of lifetime warranty on the shocks. Springs are cheap enough to replace.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
fth001

My Ride: 325i, e36m3, s13
Yeah H&R FTW. Sorry just posting random failure pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	483149  
fth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #39
LeoP

My Ride: Supra
Quote: