E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
SHe46M3

My Ride: e46 m3
How can you find out that your smg pump was replace

I would like to know if you buy a used smg m3 like me is there a way to find out that the pump was ever replaced
SHe46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Start by your routine maintenance records check.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Firstboost

My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
This can always be tricky..

If it was replaced by BMW under warranty, any dealer should be able to tell you if you can provde your VIN#. I don't think this is a guarantee though as I'm not sure if dealers are obligated to find that information for you.

If it was done independently at a shop, there is little chance this was reported to BMW, but you never know.

Good luck!
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3
Mine was replaced at the dealership And I know they keep a history of maintenance/service records. I believe any BMW dealership can provide information by entering the VIN. But being that the car is not yours yet, I'm not sure if they would, but you can always call and ask. Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Once you are the registered owner you should be able to call a BMW dealership and they can give you the service records they have on file for the VIN #. The problem is if the work was done at an indy shop it gets very difficult to track service history unless you were informed of the indy shop(s) that the previous owner(s) visited. Unfortunately not all of us are as meticulous as we should be - the first e46 M3 that I bought had very little service history documentation and was nearly impossible to acquire, the second thankfully was very very well documented and has stayed that way since my ownership
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46smg View Post
Mine was replaced at the dealership And I know they keep a history of maintenance/service records. I believe any BMW dealership can provide information by entering the VIN. But being that the car is not yours yet, I'm not sure if they would, but you can always call and ask. Good Luck!

If the OP doesn't care enough to show up and ask in person - I doubt a dealership is going to give detailed maintenance info to a non-owner they don't know... over the phone - just because he wants it.

I wouldn't.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Most dealerships will require you to be there in person and with the VIN# and preferably the key also. A SA can run a service / recall / maintenance history report on your vehicle. Some dealerships will print it out, while others won't. You might have to build a relationship with the dealership / SA to get these things now and in the future.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 02-07-2013 at 09:55 PM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
SHe46M3

My Ride: e46 m3
I've owned the car for 2 years its just that the car just turned 80k miles and was reading that long thread about smg failure and just kinda worried call a Beamer dealer but they really don't return your calls unless you want to buy something from them but anyway I guess when I get time I'll just stop in a dealer
SHe46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
The dealership won't know you from the myriad of people that call on a daily basis asking all types of questions. Now if you had a relationship with a SA, you could speak with him/her and get your information. When you go to the dealership, go to the parts department and find out if anyone of the SA's are true enthusiasts. Talk to that SA.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #10
46smg

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If the OP doesn't care enough to show up and ask in person - I doubt a dealership is going to give detailed maintenance info to a non-owner they don't know... over the phone - just because he wants it.

I wouldn't.
Let me refraise what I meant . You can call and ask if they would be willing to check the history of the car if you were to bring it in. And of course they will probably charge you.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
eson

My Ride: E46 M3, Porsche 911
Keep launching your car until the pump goes kaput. The sooner it goes, the more likely the pump has never been replaced.
eson is offline   Reply With Quote