E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #101
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
My old company insured several Ferrari 250 GTOs. There is both a market and abundant capacity for this coverage.

Insuring the car on the track might have been difficult, but insuring it from theft would literally take an application, a parts list, and a handful of emails.

It probably would have cost less than a set of tires for that car.
Ah, gotcha. I guess I always just assumed it was all or nothing.

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #102
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1 View Post
Ah, gotcha. I guess I always just assumed it was all or nothing.
It's certainly a niche product. Not something you can get from a Farmer's agent or something like that, but it's available.

The key is to really know the details of the car so that you can explain why your '93 240SX is actually worth $200k when KBB says it's worth $2k. These things are usually done on an "agreed value" basis. While a new or late model car would be insured at its market value, you just agree to insure a car like this for an amount that's negotiated with the insurance company (bc there's hardly any "market" to establish prices from with race/collector cars).

It's totally understandable that most people don't know this coverage is available (I only know bc I'm in the insurance industry), but I honestly can't comprehend how someone can put so much time/effort/money into something and not bother to insure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #103
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
It's certainly a niche product. Not something you can get from a Farmer's agent or something like that, but it's available.

The key is to really know the details of the car so that you can explain why your '93 240SX is actually worth $200k when KBB says it's worth $2k. These things are usually done on an "agreed value" basis. While a new or late model car would be insured at its market value, you just agree to insure a car like this for an amount that's negotiated with the insurance company (bc there's hardly any "market" to establish prices from with race/collector cars).

It's totally understandable that most people don't know this coverage is available (I only know bc I'm in the insurance industry), but I honestly can't comprehend how someone can put so much time/effort/money into something and not bother to insure it.
+1

But then again, who would make a "paypal me money to build another drift car" fund? #firstworldproblem
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #104
Bart Taylor

My Ride: 2000 323i touring
Privateer racers just rake in the cash hand over fist, and insurances pays out 100% of new value 100% of the time. /sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i know in your head that sounded like a nice comeback/argument but you just sound like a fool.
Bart Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #105
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
I probably should of posted it a bit different. Alot of people were offering to donate some money too help him out to get ready for this years FD season. He never once asked or begged anyone too do anything for him except a simple request of keeping an eye out for parts being sold that may be off of his 240. I did speak with him personally and he has all intentions of sending out thank you gifts to anyone who has donated anything too him.

Alot of people think "oh its just a car" and too some people that's all it is, but to him and others, its a huge part of your life, and in his case career. I couldnt imagine the feeling of loosing your pride and joy and having someone just disrespect and strip down your hard work and hard earned money. But yea its #firstworldproblems and yea there are plenty of respectable charities to donate to, but i think its been a nice gesture from many of his true fans, to lend him a hand and help out however they could.

/endrant
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #106
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Good rant

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote