E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Do Sony SLR cameras suck?

I have a gift certificate to the Sony store for a couple hundred bucks and i've been thinking about buying an slr camera for my dad for his upcoming bday. does sony make crappy slr cameras? i know nikon and canon are probably the two biggest, most reliable brands when it comes to cameras...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
No, they do not suck. Just not as popular.

Look at DSC-RX100 also.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 12-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
malina

My Ride: stock ZHP
They do lack some pro features like AF micro adjustment for individual focus points, auto ISO in M mode, 1-2 stop behind C & N in >1600 ISO noise performance, less 3d party lenses available compared to C & N, Tamron removes VC from its alpha mount lenses...
All Sony cameras are SLTs now with EVF instead of OVF which maybe helpful for those with little or no experience with OVF. Consider RX100 or NEX system.
I still shoot with Sony a100 that I got in 2007 with no camera issues. Sony quality control is very high.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by malina View Post
They do lack some pro features like AF micro adjustment for individual focus points, auto ISO in M mode, 1-2 stop behind C & N in >1600 ISO noise performance, less 3d party lenses available compared to C & N, Tamron removes VC from its alpha mount lenses...
All Sony cameras are SLTs now with EVF instead of OVF which maybe helpful for those with little or no experience with OVF. Consider RX100 or NEX system.
I still shoot with Sony a100 that I got in 2007 with no camera issues. Sony quality control is very high.
lol
i'm sure this post is helpful to mikelarry with all those acronyms
i got lost starting from SLT, EVF, OVF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
why isn't the title of this thread in 3rd person
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I remember when I starting shooting digital, the down side to Sony was that there weren't a lot of lenses to chose from. Its not the case anymore. You can find some third party lenses. idk who has the most lenses Canon or Nikon? I know from being a Nikon user, most of their cameras allow you to use the older lenses.

But for your dad, a Sony would be a good step to getting him into DSLR.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
HellFish

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
I don't think they suck - but part of the reason you buy a DSLR is for the lenses... That is why you buy Canon or Nikon.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
I started on a Sony a100 and loved it.

Then got a Canon
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Buy a Playstation 3.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
The sony NEX-7 is a fantastic camera and well worth the money, I took this photo with one. And if you want to, you can start buying up Leica glass , way better than anything Canon or Nikon offer.

PHENOMenal by k2pilot, on Flickr
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
look into the RX100 i think.

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
mstg46

My Ride: 2008 G35S
I use Sony camera and I really like them. I started on an A200 and now I use an A65. I've yet to have any issues of something breaking. They seem to be very quality. The only complaints I have with Sony is the list of available lens and accessories is shorter, and noise at higher ISO.

You can check out some of my photos if you are interested in the end results. I'm not the best photographer, but there are some decent ones.

http://mikemphotos.smugmug.com/_nr_
mstg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by malina View Post
A couple of thoughts:

The new Nikon sensors, which have higher ISO capability and dynamic range than anything Canon offers, are all Sony sensors.

Auto-ISO in M mode would completely defeat the purpose of shooting in M mode.

Tamron removes VC (Vibration compensation) from its Alpha mount lenses, because most Sony bodies have in-camera Vibration Compensation/Image Stabilization- so you don't need it in the lens also.

the new OVFs (Optical ViewFinders) that Sony is using are stunning, and don't be surprised if all other camera manufacturers go that way very soon.

Sony make terrific general use cameras- and you can use the entire lineup of Minolta lenses. Sony cameras may not have the weather-sealing, and frame rates of the Canon 1Dx and Nikon D4, but are terrific cameras nonetheless.

Bottom line, if you already aren't invested heavily in Nikon or Canon glass, there is no reason to overlook Sony.

Edit: the above should have read going to electronic viewfinders, not optical.

Last edited by Adamo99; 12-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote