E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Cycle3d60

My Ride: 1999 323i
Lower Ball Joints and Inner Tie Rods?

I just got new tires from Tire Kingdom and after the work was done they mentioned I had bad lower ball joints and bad inner tie rods for both front wheels. They said it would $1,100 to fix and I'm kinda thinking they're just screwing with me.

I'm no expert but shouldn't there be some sign of this? I mean I've been driving the car with no problems. No pulling while driving or braking, no unusual noises when turning, and from what I can tell there's no uneven wear on the tires I had in the front.

Is it possible to have none of these signs and still have something wrong with my car? Should I bother taking it to my mechanic? Or was Tire Kingdom just trying to screw me over? Thanks.
Cycle3d60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Safely lift car, grab wheel/tire and move it.

Or you can just ask yourself how many miles does your original suspension have on it. If more than 100k, it's generally time.

buy tools, learn to do work yourself, or get ready to lease a Honda.

If you can't work on cars, these cars will become very very VERY expensive to own. Basically to do a simple refresh of your car at a mechanic, you're looking at at least $30,000.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Signs of bad tire rods are usually uneven and poor tire wear, clunking during low-speed steering input, and vibrations at higher speed. Going by Mango's advice, I have a set of Lemforder tie-rod assemblies waiting to be installed this week. Not that I have any symptoms, but at 153k miles I'd rather get them done now than pay for another alignment later this year.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Cycle3d60

After doing some research it really doesn't seem like too big of a job that I can't handle. I found some really good DIY videos on Youtube.

For the tie rods:

And for the control arm:

I have all the needed tools besides a pickle fork which I'm guessing I can get pretty cheap. One thing though is that the control arm video mentioned a hydraulic press to remove the old bushing and install a new one. I saw the post E46 Mango had a guide for Suspension Refresh and in that guide there was a link to OEM Bimmer parts for the complete control arm kit (http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...26758623my.htm) I figuring if I get this kit I won't even need to worry about an hydraulic press because from the picture the bushing already looks like it's attached? I'm thinking about getting this kit, a pair of tie rods and giving this repair a try.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
You only need a press if you replace the bushing in the old bracket. Most FCAB sets will come with the brackets (including the kit you reference) and will therefore not require a press. If you get arms separate from FCABs (with brackets) you can easily press them on by hand with some soap and water.

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Cycle3d60

Alright I think I'm going to give this repair a try then. Thank you all for your quick reply's. I've looked up information on E46 Fanatics for a while now but this is my first time posting. Thanks again for the help!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
ars88

My Ride: BMW 3
did you get a chance to do this? how did it go?
ars88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
don't listen to the mechanic
keep driving until you feel something is wrong.

Last edited by MercForHire; 01-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Allot 6 hours to do control arms, tierods, and bushings. Get a pickle fork set from the autoparts store (for rent) and get a 3 lb sledge hammer. Smack the **** out of the pickle fork on the ball joints. Once I had the right fork it was easy. I only say 6 hours in case you get stuck on a control arm. After doing it once I can probably do it in less than 2 hours now since I'll buy tools/extensions to reach the inner ball joint nuts more easily. It is possible, but excrusiatingly slow, to do the job with combination wrenches.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
buy Meyle HD control arms so you can replace the ball joints in the future.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
Cycle3d60

I just bought Meyle control arms with bushings and Meyle tie rods. It cost quite a bit but everything I researched said these were mush better than Mevotech, Dorman, and pretty much every other brand so I got the Meyle's. They shipped today so hopefully I won't have any trouble installing them when they get here.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
buy Meyle HD control arms so you can replace the ball joints in the future.
unless you drive on roads that chatter your teath, you should be good for about 100k miles on those... and i think you need a special socket to press in the new ball joints as well.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
CharlieFoxtrot

My Ride: 02 330CiC, 97 528i
If the balljoint goes into an aluminum knuckle like my E39 does, don't use a pickle fork, use a spreader like this or this
CharlieFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #14
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle3d60 View Post
I just got new tires from Tire Kingdom and after the work was done they mentioned I had bad lower ball joints and bad inner tie rods for both front wheels. They said it would $1,100 to fix and I'm kinda thinking they're just screwing with me.

I'm no expert but shouldn't there be some sign of this? I mean I've been driving the car with no problems. No pulling while driving or braking, no unusual noises when turning, and from what I can tell there's no uneven wear on the tires I had in the front.

Is it possible to have none of these signs and still have something wrong with my car? Should I bother taking it to my mechanic? Or was Tire Kingdom just trying to screw me over? Thanks.
Worn steering and suspension joints will always manifest in steering anomalies if not noise. Get a second opinion from another garage. Don't mention what the other guys said. If they ask you why just tell them you don't have any problems its just a routine check. What were the old tyres like? Were they unevenly worn? If not then its unlikely you have steering joint issues.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-16-2013 at 03:31 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
hogson

all those places will tell you lies like that to get extra cash out of you..they seem to think they can fool everyone- which is true since people who go to those places are genrally not enthusiast and believe the stuff they hear. just do some research and do the work yourself. with forums like these you can do anything.
hogson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
Cycle3d60

I used this 3 day weekend I have this week to do this job just in case something went wrong. Nothing did and it turned out to be a pretty easy job! I rented a pickle fork set from discount auto for free and was able to remove the old control arms no problem. The old ball joints seemed like they had a bit more life in them so it wasn't as urgent of a job as the mechanic was trying to make it seem like. But if I figure if it wasn't now it would have been a year or so from now is it doesn't make too much of a difference.

In total the job cost me $540 for the parts and alignment which is less than half what I was originally quoted for. Couldn't be happier and couldn't have done it without these forums.