E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
PolishBMW21

My Ride: 2002 325i
brakes

Anyone else have problems with remanufactered calipers not fitting? any ideas why this could be happening?
PolishBMW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Not fitting as in, not fitting to the bracket? Where did you buy them from?

Last edited by Zell; 01-22-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I would think that the only reason remanufactured calipers would not fit would be because you have the wrong ones.
Are you sure they are remans, and not some Chinese crap? Any sort of markings on them?
The only thing they do in the remanufacturing process Is clean them, and replace all of the rubber bits, for the most part. If you are lucky, they may hone the bore out a bit, to clean it up. None of that should change the fit. When you say they don't fit, what exactly do you mean? Do the mounting holes not line up?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
PolishBMW21

not fitting as in, when i put the pads in it it doesnt fit back around the caliper, their basically not as wide as the old ones

Last edited by PolishBMW21; 01-22-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
PolishBMW21

and im pretty sure theyre remans, they have the same BMW markings as the old ones, is it possible that I have a late model 2002 and need the 2003 calipers?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Maybe you could describe it little better because the pads would go into the bracket and then the caliper would go around the pads. Was the piston retracted? Do you have a picture of it?
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBMW21 View Post
not fitting as in, when i put the pads in it it doesnt fit back around the caliper, their basically not as wide as the old ones
Make sure that the piston is pushed all the way back into the cylinder before you fit the pads. Seems like a daft suggestion but you never know.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
PolishBMW21

i made sure the piston was pushed in, and when i put the pads in the bracket and try to put the caliper around it, or when i put the pads in the caliper itslef and try to get it to fit around the rotor it doesnt fit. Its seems to me that the caliper is smaller than the stock bmw one's. Ive tried 3 different calipers from 2 stores and none of them fit. And I told the specifically which year and model
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
RayPooley

Quote:
i made sure the piston was pushed in, and when i put the pads in the bracket and try to put the caliper around it, or when i put the pads in the caliper itslef and try to get it to fit around the rotor it doesnt fit. Its seems to me that the caliper is smaller than the stock bmw one's. Ive tried 3 different calipers from 2 stores and none of them fit. And I told the specifically which year and model
Hmmm. I'm a little bit confused here because you can't "put the pads in the bracket and try to put the caliper around it" because the pad on the piston side has a spring clip on it that sits inside the piston so you have to fit the pads to the caliper first and then present it to the rotor. Fit the pads inside the caliper, make sure there is no rust build up on the rim of the rotor (which is often the case, scrape/file it off if there is) and try again.

Each caliper should have one pad with a backplate spring, that you push inside the piston, and one pad opposite it with no backplate spring. You can just make out the spring on the back plate of the pad on the piston side in the diagram. The piston should be flush with the inside face of the caliper. No protrusion at all. You can use a G clamp to ease it into place. One with a clamp face that will fit inside the piston.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IWMH..._df_B0001IWMHU

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=34&fg=05

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-23-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Do you have new rotors? I am assuming that you have new pads. Are they a reputable band, and not some eBay crap?
If they are, and the calipers are remanufactured, then all of this should fit together. Do you have a tool to retract the piston? If you are trying to use Channel locks or sticking a block of wood in there and banging it in, then you may not be retracting the piston all the way (and screwing some things up). It can get a little sideways and stop. That is why you need a tool that presses it in with even pressure.
Assuming all of the things mentioned above are correct, then you have to place the pads in, and drop it down over the caliper. It is not unusual for it to be a tight fit. You may have to tap (not beat) the top of the caliper to get it all the way down to the point that the bolt hole lines up.
So, let us know the brands of pads and rotors, and if you have the right tools to retract the piston. With new pads and new rotors, the piston has to be all of the way in, as deep as it can go. Maybe take a few pics, so we can see exactly what is happening.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 01-23-2013 at 01:17 PM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
PolishBMW21

^^ the brakes i got were from powerstop. new pads and drilled and slotted rotors. Theyre obviously not the best, but theyre better than old ones. Ive tried everything u said too, the new calipers i got are about a quarter inch smaller than the old ones. According to both pepboys and auto zone they are the right ones? Is it possible that i need ones for a different year or model?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
RayPooley

Quote:
^^ the brakes i got were from powerstop. new pads and drilled and slotted rotors. Theyre obviously not the best, but theyre better than old ones. Ive tried everything u said too, the new calipers i got are about a quarter inch smaller than the old ones. According to both pepboys and auto zone they are the right ones? Is it possible that i need ones for a different year or model?
1/4" shorter in what dimension?