E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
kcult

My Ride: 99 323i, 04 ZHP
A little help for this lighting ignoramus?

Looking for some info, insight and advice. I've searched and have been reading threads for the last couple of hours, but it's all Greek and reading comprehension>me.

Quick backstories that will be related:

My daughter hit a deer with her 99 323i in January. The headlight lenses escaped injury, but the tabs were broken. I got a cheap used pair of aftermarket lights to get her back on the road.

I recently bought my wife an '04 ZHP sedan to replace her wrecked '00 323i. The ZHP came with a set of DEPO lights already installed. The OEM lights came with the car and are in the DEPO box.

If you have the time and don't mind answering a few questions, here goes:

What are these DEPO lights commonly called? Are they called Depos or what?
Currently, I don't see the difference in these and the OEM except the AEs have an orange tint to them. No pics of the lights on the cars yet, sorry.

I read that no e46 came with AEs. These look to have at least the rings and a wire sticking out of a hole that was obviously drilled not at the factory. Is there a way to tell that these have AEs installed? You can just see the wires on the left side.

I have perfect pre-facelift lenses. Should I be able to swap the lenses on the ZHP OEM headlight assemblies and install them on the 99 323i?

I have these AEs. I don't know exactly what brand they are or any other pertinent information. Is there a way I could test them to see if they work before attempting to install them on anything (like the OEM ZHP lights if they don't have AEs) or sell them? They came from ebay and have installation instructions, but that's it.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but one more; If I decide to do nothing (by either lack of desire or inability), would it be in my best interest to hold on to the OEM assemblies, or should I sell them, possibly helping out another fanatic?

Thanks!
kcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Alright here we go;

- DEPO is a brand that makes aftermarket lighting for various cars
- It is usually the "cheap way" to replace something that failed on the car. The quality is bad sorry to say.

The lights you posted, those are the OEM? I would put those back in and see how the light output is. If it's very very dim that means they are made by ZKW and the reflective material in the projector has burned. In that case stick with the P46's.

- The lenses are not swappable. A pre-facelift sedan needs pre-facelift sedan lens and vice versa with your facelift sedan.

You can get them cheap at www.khoalty.com

- The angel eyes look like CCFl. Is there any other wiring that connects to them? If there is a big black box then don't even run them. CCFL technology is dying and it will likely go on fire... sooner or later.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country

Last edited by Solidjake; 12-31-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
kcult

My Ride: 99 323i, 04 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Alright here we go;

- DEPO is a brand that makes aftermarket lighting for various cars
- It is usually the "cheap way" to replace something that failed on the car. The quality is bad sorry to say.
Don't be sorry! lol Thanks for the info. They look decent, but decency is relative, no?

Quote:
The lights you posted, those are the OEM? I would put those back in and see how the light output is. If it's very very dim that means they are made by ZKW and the reflective material in the projector has burned. In that case stick with the P46's.
Supposedly, the lights in the box were OEM. They were replaced by what's in there now. So, the lights in the car are considered P46's? That's what I was looking for, the "street" name, so to speak. Light output is fine, now, but I also have (4) 8500k spare bulbs. I don't know what's in there at the moment.

Quote:
- The lenses are not swappable. A pre-facelift sedan needs pre-facelift sedan lens and vice versa with your facelift sedan.

You can get them cheap at www.khoalty.com
I'm not quite understanding here. I have pre-facelift lenses and I was curious if they could be put on the '04 ZHP sedan headlight assemblies for installation in the '99 323i sedan.

Quote:
- The angel eyes look like CCFl. Is there any other wiring that connects to them? If there is a big black box then don't even run them. CCFL technology is dying and it will likely go on fire... sooner or later.
There are two black boxes with them. They are about the size of a rubber eraser. Trash 'em, perhaps?

I took some pics of the lights with my cell phone, but I'm yet to upload them. One thing I noticed when I was taking them; when I put the lights on bright, the second set of lights didn't come on, but there was a noticeable difference in the output. Plus, the fogs went out.

Thanks a lot for your help, SJ!
kcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
The lights are physically different between your 330 and 323. Impossible to install them on the other one (only the internals themselves will work but will require modding.

Yea, the boxes are ballasts. Just don't use those angel eyes at all.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote