E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
Never seen or heard of this before. Electrical problem?

I'm sitting in my office when my wife comes back from an appointment and tells me it looks like my brake lights are on but she couldn't really tell because the light from the sun was on them. So I go outside and look and sure enough all 3 brake lights are light up.

I walk to my driver door and notice that almost all the warning lights on my cluster are on, dsc light, brake light, light out warnings for the brake lights, check engine light etc (don't remember if all of them but it seemed like it as I was freaking out).

So I push the door open button on my key and nothing. Push it again, nothing. I manually unlock the door get in and see all these lights still on. So I put the key in, turn it and the car barely cranks to life.

A moment later the DSC light goes off as do the other lights. The light that says brake stays on for a moment then goes off as does the brake light out warning and she tells me the lights then went off.

I have not driven my car since yesterday and have walked passed it several times today and they were never on. She was gone for about 2 hours and when she left they were not on so this happened just recently.

Anyone ever see anything like this before? To me it sounds like a short or something, but to cause them to all go on like that seems really odd.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
SpoonerDee

Also, every time I turn the car off now, the lights come back on.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
battery gremlins.
When our batteries start to fail (usually after 5 years) these cluster warning lights start to act up just like you described.

Have the battery tested. But, be ready to get a new unit.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Get your battery tested. Most probably the battery is weak.
Weak batteries create havoc in our cars.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
SpoonerDee

Really? That is absolutely insane lol thanks for the timely response.

Last edited by SpoonerDee; 01-03-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Muzzychris

My Ride: 2001 325 convertible
I had a similar problem, if a new battery doesn't solve it it could be a k-bus issue, first I would try leaving the battery disconnected for 2 hours and reconnect and see what happens.
Muzzychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
this guy seems to have the same problem http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963586
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
bmwjatt

My Ride: E46 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
this guy seems to have the same problem http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963586
I put new fuse in 34 and 43. Then started the car. Its gone away.

good luck.
bmwjatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Could be a battery running low, could be a bad battery, could be a bad FSU (search and you will find PLENTY on the FSU).

See 3rd link below in signature to display battery/charging Voltage on the OBC display.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
SpoonerDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwjatt View Post
I put new fuse in 34 and 43. Then started the car. Its gone away.

good luck.
Yeah was just reading your thread. Will check my fuses later today and see if mine look like yours.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
SpoonerDee

Update:

I left the battery disconnected over night. Went and checked those same fuses and they are fine. So I hooked the battery back up, no lights, no warning lights and the car responded to my key again. Turned the key and she fired up again with no issue.

Should I go through and check all my fuses or assume it still might be the battery?

Last edited by SpoonerDee; 01-10-2013 at 08:50 AM.