E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Arrow DIY: How to Disable E46 Steering Lock (without cutting or drilling!)

A few people have asked about easy ways to disable the E46 steering wheel lock built into the steering column. Disabling the lock is required by some racing organizations, but may also be a matter of personal preference. Either way, this DIY provides an easy method that requires only basic tools, no additional parts, and only a few minutes of your time.

Tools required:
-Flat-head screwdriver
-Needle nose pliers
-Ignition lock cylinder removal tool (or a paperclip or other suitable substitute)

Prerequisites:
-Understand how to remove the ignition tumbler
-Understand how to remove the steering column trim
-Understand how to replace the ignition switch

We'll be working in this area of the car:

1. Remove lower steering column trim. Pull down the lower trim panel slightly (no need to completely remove it). Underneath the steering column, push the centers of the two plastic rivets through and pull the rivets out. They're reusable so save them.

Separate the lower steering column trim from the upper half and pull the lower trim piece out.

The ignition switch is now exposed:

2. With key in position 1, insert pin and remove lock cylinder. Leave pin with lock cylinder for reinstallation.

3. Look into the hole where the lock cylinder used to be and observe the locking shaft with a slot in it as well as the separate 2-toothed cylinder that surrounds it. Our goal is to reverse the 2-toothed cylinder.

4. Using flat-head screwdriver, turn locking shaft CCW towards position 0.

Note the exposed outer groove which is used by the lock cylinder retaining tooth.

Also note the notch cut into the bore at the 10 o'clock position.

The 2-toothed cylinder has a tab/key that keeps it in the locking shaft bore in a second groove farther in. Once it lines up with the notch in the 10 o'clock position, the 2-toothed cylinder will slide right out. You'll notice that you probably can't quite turn the shaft CCW far enough to get it to line up, so...

5. Unclip ignition switch.

6. Turn locking shaft slightly CCW until key on 2-toothed cylinder lines up with notch and remove 2-toothed cylinder.

Pliers help to remove the cylinder.

You'll see a spring left behind it on the lock shaft.

Also observe the steering column release mechanism. The black tooth (appears gray in photo) in the background above the locking shaft is pushed back by the 2-toothed cylinder when the key is turned to release the steering lock.

The front of the 2-toothed cylinder has two indentations that accomodate the teeth on the back of the lock cylinder, i.e. the cylinders turn together.

The lock cylinder has a third plastic tooth that extends only when the key is turned. This causes the 2-toothed cylinder to move backwards into the bore and release the steering lock.

Note that this is a great time to lube up all of the moving parts of the lock assembly.

7. Flip 2-toothed cylinder around so that the indentations that correspond to the back of the lock cylinder now face into the bore instead of outward.

Observe the contact area that engages the steering lock (indicated by marred surface of the upper left quarter).

8. Insert 2-toothed cylinder back into locking bore, using screwdriver to align the teeth onto the locking shaft.

This requires some care since the orientation of the 2 teeth relative to the tab/key is not the same when the cylinder is reversed. Ensure that the orientation of the lock shaft relative to the ignition switch at position 0 is correct. This means turning the assembly to a different position than in the original orientation.

The tab/key will catch on the first groove (which is for the lock cylinder retainer) so be sure to insert all the way until the tab/key reaches the second groove farther in.

9. Rotate lock shaft and 2-toothed cylinder to position 0 and install ignition switch.

10. With the lock shaft rotated to position 1 (slot roughly vertical), install lock cylinder. You will be pressing the lock cylinder against the 2-toothed cylinder which is held forward by spring pressure, so if it feels springier going in than usual, you've done it correctly. Withdraw the lock cylinder removal tool in order to engage the lock cylinder retaining tooth.

Install the lower steering column trim and that's it. Your steering wheel will now move freely even with the key removed.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
thanks bro. ill be needing this here soon and will be part of my diy on how to operate our vehicle entirely without a traditional key. plus i always wanted a non redundant and actual working push button starter.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
No prob.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Adanali

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5spd mt
Great DIY. I want to do this because I cannot turn the key, the darn thing is jammed. I spent 2 hours, tried bunch of things. I will be calling AAA tomorrow to see if they can help. This is the second time I had this I want to disable the lock completely.
Adanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanali View Post
Great DIY. I want to do this because I cannot turn the key, the darn thing is jammed. I spent 2 hours, tried bunch of things. I will be calling AAA tomorrow to see if they can help. This is the second time I had this I want to disable the lock completely.
Thank you for the kind words.

This may be a long shot, but have you tried turning the steering wheel while trying to turn the key? If there's pressure on the black tooth, it won't let go of the cylinder.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Adanali

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5spd mt
Tried everything, pressing down the brakes, turning the wheel, even rolling the car back and forth, jacking up one side at a time... But I could not find WD40. In the end I got a ride home. This morning, came back to the car with AAA guy who had WD40. After WD40 about 10 minutes later it unlocked. Now works like a charm. But I will give it more WD40 later when I get home. I would love to do this DIY so I do not have to worry about this ever again.

It is funny that the AAA guy said my car was the second one he got called out on for the same problem this morning. He said he has had many BMW cars with this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Thank you for the kind words.

This may be a long shot, but have you tried turning the steering wheel while trying to turn the key? If there's pressure on the black tooth, it won't let go of the cylinder.
Adanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanali View Post
Tried everything, pressing down the brakes, turning the wheel, even rolling the car back and forth, jacking up one side at a time... But I could not find WD40. In the end I got a ride home. This morning, came back to the car with AAA guy who had WD40. After WD40 about 10 minutes later it unlocked. Now works like a charm. But I will give it more WD40 later when I get home. I would love to do this DIY so I do not have to worry about this ever again.

It is funny that the AAA guy said my car was the second one he got called out on for the same problem this morning. He said he has had many BMW cars with this problem.
Unfortunately, the WD-40 will only be a temporary fix. Also, I'd use Lock-Ease over that for this particular situation.

There are really two separate problems that can cause the cylinder to jam up.
One possibility is that the sliding pins in the lock cylinder and/or the key are worn out, in which case spraying lubricant directly into the key hole loosens it up.
The second is that the steering wheel lock is the cause, in which case it's pretty difficult the get the lubricant that far just by spraying it as you have to go around the cylinder to get to the mechanism. For that, I think a medium weight grease similar to what BMW uses from the factory would be a better solution.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
could you just lube up the penetrator and use the key to get it up in there really good?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
could you just lube up the penetrator and use the key to get it up in there really good?
That will only work for the cylinder, unfortunately.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Do you know of a DIY or have any tips on removing the ignition switch on an e30? I need to tackle this tomorrow and will have very limited time to figure things out. Not sure if I actually need to remove the lock cylinder or not
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Do you know of a DIY or have any tips on removing the ignition switch on an e30? I need to tackle this tomorrow and will have very limited time to figure things out. Not sure if I actually need to remove the lock cylinder or not
IIRC, the DIY in the Bentley manual is good.
You have to remove the kick panel and steering column trim. Possibly have to remove the steering wheel, which varies on whether or not your E30 has an airbag. Once you have the covers off, the rest is obvious.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
Bumping.

I turned key to position 1 and insert a pin to lock the cylinder.
Now my question is do I turn the cylinder? Maybe pull it?
Mine doesnt want to come out.
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post
Bumping.

I turned key to position 1 and insert a pin to lock the cylinder.
Now my question is do I turn the cylinder? Maybe pull it?
Mine doesnt want to come out.
There are probably better threads on how to remove the lock cylinder itself, but you should feel the pin go in past a resistance point. You may need to jiggle the pin as you do this. The pin has to be thin enough to fit into the tiny hole in the retaining tooth.
Once it hits home and pulls the cylinder retaining tooth in, the cylinder should pop straight out by itself or pull out with very little effort.

Quote:

Last edited by cyberkaa; 09-11-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
jM2.me

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
There are probably better threads on remove the lock cylinder itself, but you should feel the pin go in past a resistance point. You may need to jiggle the pin as you do this. The pin has to be thin enough to fit into the tiny hole in the retaining tooth.
Once it hits home and pulls the cylinder retaining tooth in, the cylinder should pop straight out by itself or pull out with very little effort.
Thank you. I was trying smallest hex bit I could find, and it was just a little too big.
jM2.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jM2.me View Post
Thank you. I was trying smallest hex bit I could find, and it was just a little too big.
Glad to be of help.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Nice DIY, always learning something from u
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
Nice DIY, always learning something from u
Thank you.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #18
Bishopgoldy

My Ride: '05 M3 '92 325is
Hell yeah! Is the Key Lock gonna be that stiff. Mine is very stiff, not sure if I did it wrong. Regardless this just made my Push to Start that much closer!
Bishopgoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #19
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopgoldy View Post
Hell yeah! Is the Key Lock gonna be that stiff. Mine is very stiff, not sure if I did it wrong. Regardless this just made my Push to Start that much closer!
I didn't find it to be any stiffer than before the mod.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #20
Bishopgoldy

My Ride: '05 M3 '92 325is
Re: DIY: How to Disable E46 Steering Lock (without cutting or drilling!)

Ok when I get some time ill go back in and lube it up. Again thanks. Great diys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BimmerApp mobile app
Bishopgoldy is offline   Reply With Quote