E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
brokensmile209

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
help with fuse box diagram confused?

2001 bmw 325ci coupe, kind of confused if i should take fuse # out
fuse #7
fuse #22
fuse #8
fuse #13
fuse #35

can someone with a e46 coupe help me out here, because i think i might have too much fuse that wasn't supposed to be in there, i mark the the red fuse number next to the one i'm confused about and also circle the diagram fuse # red in the picture. Hopefully the pic is clear enough.
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
brokensmile209

Can someone take a pic of their fusebox on their 2001 bmw 325ci coupe so I can compare it to mine
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
LEAVE THE FUSES ALONE.

When something stops working, find the name of if on the chart, then look a the fuse number is says to look at. For example, if the windshield wipers stop working, look for the fuse position for that circuit and check the fuse that is indicated. Ignore fuses that are missing, or fuses that are installed but not listed.

You can also ignore any possible fuse problem when everything works correctly.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
brokensmile209

I still think that the previous owner added more than it need thought, for example fuse number 8 and 22 are for sequential transmission (only m3), I have a 325ci manual, I think fuse 8 and 22 isnt supposed to be there

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
mkodama

Additional fuses won't cause any problems.

fuse #7 yes, needed for radio or navigation.
fuse #22 no need in a non-M coupe
fuse #8 no need unless you have SSG or SMG
fuse #13 no need in a coupe
fuse #35 no need unless xi

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Additional fuses won't cause any problems.

fuse #7 yes, needed for radio or navigation.
fuse #22 no need in a non-M coupe
fuse #8 no need unless you have SSG or SMG
fuse #13 no need in a coupe
fuse #35 no need unless xi
Thnks man, you been really helpful, im going take those fuse # out

Old 12-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
brokensmile209

Is there anymore fuse my car don't need you can think of?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
mkodama

1. Look at all the systems on the fuse list.
2. If you find a system your car doesn't have, take note of which fuses.
3. Look to see if those fuses are used on any other systems; if they are used on another system that your car does have, leave it, if not, you can remove it.
4. after removing one or two fuses, start up your car and check all the systems that might be affected to see they still work fine. I suggest doing only like 5 or so fuses in one sitting, and drive your car around for a week and see if you notice anything isn't working properly.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
1. Look at all the systems on the fuse list.
2. If you find a system your car doesn't have, take note of which fuses.
3. Look to see if those fuses are used on any other systems; if they are used on another system that your car does have, leave it, if not, you can remove it.
4. after removing one or two fuses, start up your car and check all the systems that might be affected to see they still work fine. I suggest doing only like 5 or so fuses in one sitting, and drive your car around for a week and see if you notice anything isn't working properly.
Yea, thanks im going to rule out the one I dont need

Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
Yea, thanks im going to rule out the one I dont need

There is nothing wrong with having a fuse that you think is nonsensical.

NEVER TOUCH THE FUSES unless something has stopped working, then only look for the specific fuse to the system that is having the malfunction.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
OP - your car is wired correctly. The likelihood that the previous owner added fuses is exceptionally low! Is the picture you posted a stock photo or your car?

Seeing as in the picture, many of these fuses aren't there. For instance, in the picture, fuses 8 and 22 are missing. As mentioned 7 is used for the radio.

Assuming your car works, leave it be.

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
brokensmile209

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
OP - your car is wired correctly. The likelihood that the previous owner added fuses is exceptionally low! Is the picture you posted a stock photo or your car?

Seeing as in the picture, many of these fuses aren't there. For instance, in the picture, fuses 8 and 22 are missing. As mentioned 7 is used for the radio.

Assuming your car works, leave it be.

Luke
yes the photo i posted is my car fusebox, Fuse 8 and 22 are for sequential transmission {m3 only}, i took it out and went for a test drive, everything work no problem, engine start right up, all signal and light work, this might be the problem that is causing my car to idle, going to keep waiting and monitoring, i do think that having too much fuse that isn't meant for the car can caused some problem too.

Last edited by brokensmile209; 12-31-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
yes the photo i posted is my car fusebox, Fuse 8 and 22 are for sequential transmission {m3 only}, i took it out and went for a test drive, everything work no problem, engine start right up, all signal and light work, this might be the problem that is causing my car to idle, going to keep waiting and monitoring, i do think that having too much fuse that isn't meant for the car can caused some problem too.
Got it. Well, I still believe that this is how your car rolled off the assembly line. However, I will look at my fuse box next time I can to see if I have similar extra fuses (granted on an earlier car).

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
jdstrickland

Quote:
Having too much fuse that isn't meant for the car CANNOT caused some problem, not ever. Not possible. Not even a little bit possible.

And a fuse that hasn't blown is NEVER EVER, NOT EVEN ONCE, a problem. You want all fuses to be NOT BLOWN. Period.

You have asked no less than three times if too many fuses can be a problem, and the answer each time is no. Now you argue that YOU THINK too many fuses can be a problem. What part of "no" makes you wonder otherwise.

Yes, it is true that you might have fuses that are not needed, but that is never a problem. If there is a circuit that does not go anywhere, then removing the fuse is fine. But just because you do not know where the fuse goes does not mean the fuse is not needed. If the fuse exists AND it is not blown then there is no problem. If the fuse exists AND it is blown, then it does something. That is, it did something before it blew, and now whatever it did does not work.

The purpose of the fuse is to protect the car from a short circuit. If the fuse blew, then it has done its job. If the fuse is missing, then there is a load that does not work, which is the same condition as if the fuse has blown. If the fuse is not blown, then it makes no difference if it is there.