E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
mchratliff

My Ride: 2001 330i
Issue I'm trying to sort out

Hello all, new to the E46 world (not new to the Bimmerworld though, after owning several e36's sold my last one a few months ago, came across a deal I couldn't refuse on craiglist a 2001 330i, needs some work, the guy had bought it thinking the transmission was shot due to the cog light. Said he only had it for a few weeks then the light came on, turned out to be just a the ECM fuse , needless to say, it does need other work. First off, I replaced the CCV ordeal which was causing a vac leak (getting ready to do the Valve Cover gasket soon, as well as new NGK plugs) and a never ending list of other maintenance items, anyways, as it sets it runs and drives,
problem is horrible fuel consumption, (OBC reports around 18-19.5 MPG)
Also throwing P0172 and P0175 codes which indicates its running rich on both banks 1 and 2

Anyways, got my flame retardant suit on and here is my question.
I am new to the diagnostic scheme and how to comprehend the readings, did a few searches and can't find a definite answer, I was wondering if you guys could have a look at my freeze frame live data grid and possibly give me a few pointers on what might be causing my problem?

It appears by the fuel trims It's dumping fuel in bank 1 and cutting fuel in bank 2? Sorry guys, I need a few pointers on this one hoping to get this mess sorted

mchratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
pleiades

My Ride: M52TU
Okay I'll at least get your thread back up to the top for you, maybe grab more attention ....

I'd venture you either still have unmetered air getting in, causing the car computer to overcompensate with extra fuel, and/or your pre-cat O2 sensors are due for replacement.

Make sure the smaller corrugated tube (to the ICV) that splits off from the intake elbow into the throttle body doesn't have any cracks. I imagine when you replaced the CCV there were a number of tubes, hoses, etc that had to be replaced or disconnected. Anything not solidly reconnected will introduce a vacuum leak.
pleiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
mchratliff

My Ride: 2001 330i
I figured it out, removed the oxygen sensors and one of them was a generic what appears to be a fleabay sensor, no ntk markings..or any brand for that matter. the ceramic inside was loose and rattling, the other oxygen sensor appears to have seen better days as well. It was a genuine BMW one.
Probably hasn't been replaced in 10 years.

The one causing the major rich condition on bank 1 was the generic broken one.
I'm not going to investigate further until I order new NTK ones and get rid of these shabby old ones. When I unplugged them and drove (I know it runs in open loop that way) the MPG jumped from an astonishing 17.5 MPG to 24+ depending on the amount of lead in my foot. Not going to do hardly any driving until this I replace the shoddy sensors. My money is on that being the issue.

I checked and double checked every vacuum hose when I had the intake off, intake boot looked to have been replaced recently as well as every other vacuum hose, most were dated 2009-2010, intake gasket was also appeared to have been replaced recently as well.
mchratliff is offline   Reply With Quote