E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Fooljam

My Ride: 5
DIY (Multiple Airbag Faults)

Hi guys,

I am doing lots of BMW airbag work so I come all sort of crazy issues. Those issues as you may know are often due to a faulty seat occupancy sensor.
But other issues can also affect your airbag system.

Yesterday I came across a clean e46 with the following faults (Through BMW Scanner 1.4 / INPA had the same fault logged). I often use BWM Scanner for its simplicity and quick turnover diagnostic it offers, but when the faults are multiple, I usually use BMW INPA too, just to confirm.

So here you go, the actual faults. Usually when you have more than two, this is a sign something is wrong after the seat, not the seat itself.

BMW Scanner 1.4 faults

SRS 20/82 - Sensor, side airbag, left, line fault
18/C2 - Seat occupancy detector
06/20 - Belt tensioner, passenger side

BMW INPA faults

So I removed the passenger seat, connections were all very clean, nothing was cut off, the original equipment was there, including the seat occupancy sensor. I often see previous attempts of fixing airbag issues in there.

So I dig a bit more and notice the carpet is quiet wet. So I remove the carpet on the passenger side (Just lift it really) and noticed a nice puddle of water and the satellite sensor that is sitting here is all rusty. That's it, the issue has been identified. If this sensor goes belly up, you will have multiple faults on the airbag system.

See the white/green powder all over the sensor. It is dead basically.

So after finding a replacement and the carpet/car dried up, I unplugged the battery for a few minutes (Recommended when you do this before putting new parts in) plugged in the new satellite impact sensor and all the faults were gone, a part from the seat occupancy sensor itself.
No worries so I install a bypass, and now it is all good. A quick reset of the fault. Airbag light goes away.

I remove the key, turn on the car again, and that's it, the light comes up for a few seconds then goes away.

All good.

I hope this helps

Last edited by Fooljam; 01-06-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Fooljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.