E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #41
redneckrice94

My Ride: 2000 323i
Here is a bimmerforums thread for a T6 Review

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1488700

Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #42
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Not BMW LL-01 but who cares. Local mechanics have been putting the same spec Castrol Edge in all BMW cars. Just don't change them at 15k BMW dealer intervals
Far to thin at operating temperature and worse the HTHS is very low. Why do this?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #43
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrice94 View Post
I use Shell Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic. All of my friends use this oil as well in their BMW's. Shell Rotella is a great oil and can be picked up for half the price of other synthetic oil when purchased at menards or walmart

In addition to me, here is a bimmerforums review thread for T6
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1488700
Great choice.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #44
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Not BMW LL-01 but who cares. Local mechanics have been putting the same spec Castrol Edge in all BMW cars. Just don't change them at 15k BMW dealer intervals
This has been a haunting question for everyone on this entire board...I think

I never run my 25k kilometers (15k miles) intervals...I always change my oil every 15k kilometers (all hwy driving) (9k miles). I know BMW branded oil is by far the cheapest solution at 9 bucks a liter, but at Costco, you can get 6L of 5w30 full syntec for $38.

Now, given the fact that you are not going to run the oil for the entire recommended interval, and at that price I would probably change it every 10k kilometers, is it still safe given the viscosity scare and all the jumbo mumbo that the internet has spread...

Please, I only want FACTS; not your friends Dad's Mom had a Girlfriend who dated a BMW engineer bull s*hit.

Let's try and get this resolved once and for all so that we can have long lasting engines!

Last edited by fastsoup; 01-08-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #45
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I never understand why oil threads exist. There does not need to be even one.

Genuine BMW 5W-30 oil=$7/qt.

Not simple enough?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-08-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
fastsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I never understand why oil threads exist. There does not need to be even one.

Genuine BMW 5W-30 oil=$7/qt.

Not simple enough?
Mango, please elaborate further than just the price, if you could, I would appreciate it as you have a strong presence on this site. Do you run your oil for the entire 15k mile interval on the BMW oil?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fastsoup; 01-08-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #47
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Far to thin at operating temperature and worse the HTHS is very low. Why do this?
Negative. That has similar viscosty at operating temperature, hense the simlar SAE rating. There are upper and lower ranges for each rating, but they are close enough for all practical purposes.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #48
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsoup View Post
Mango, please elaborate further than just the price, if you could, I would appreciate it as you have a strong presence on this site. Do you run your oil for the entire 15k mile interval on the BMW oil?

Thanks in advance.
Elaborate on what exactly?

I change my oil and filter every 7,500-8,000 miles using any of the approved or recommended oils on BMW USA's website which meet high-performance, extended-drain requirements for our engines, as well as the engines of many respected German maufacturers (actually, all of them)

If I don't use BMW oil, it's only because using another oil at the particular time was more convenient (closer) for me. All of the approved oils will more or less perform the same.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #49
fastsoup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Negative. That has similar viscosty at operating temperature, hense the simlar SAE rating. There are upper and lower ranges for each rating, but they are close enough for all practical purposes.
So practical purposes would indicate my use which is moderate to light driving, all hwy, with children in the backseat? Not M3, track, pedal to the floor looking for a street race at every light, correct?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #50
fastsoup

Quote:
Elaborate on what exactly?

I change my oil and filter every 7,500-8,000 miles using any of the approved or recommended oils on BMW USA's website which meet high-performance, extended-drain requirements for our engines, as well as the engines of many respected German maufacturers (actually, all of them)

If I don't use BMW oil, it's only because using another oil at the particular time was more convenient (closer) for me. All of the approved oils will more or less perform the same.
Perfect, thank you
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #51
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I took an impromptu break from this forum and didn't necessarily miss it all that much.

My oil light stayed on after I shut the car off yesterday. Oil level is fine and the sensor was replaced with OE exactly 1 year ago.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #52
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I took an impromptu break from this forum and didn't necessarily miss it all that much.

My oil light stayed on after I shut the car off yesterday. Oil level is fine and the sensor was replaced with OE exactly 1 year ago.
I think that means you're a bit low. Just low enough to trip the sensor, but not necessarily dangerously low. At what point exactly did you check the oil? The dipstick is calibrated to show the correct level 5 min after shutdown (you probably know this but just throwing it out there).

It's that or the sensor is already dead??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #53
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
So practical purposes would indicate my use which is moderate to light driving, all hwy, with children in the backseat? Not M3, track, pedal to the floor looking for a street race at every light, correct?
You shouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #54
sprintman

Quote:
Wrong. A 5W30 ranges from near 20W to near 40W, that isn't 'close enough' is it? LL01 oil is near 40W, has a HTHS of at least 3.5 etc etc. It's always hard discussing oil, with people who know SFA about oil.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #55
fastsoup

Quote:
You shouldn't worry about it.
Well it's not me directly, it's everyone on this forum.

I personally use Mobil 0w40, but will soon switch to BMW Castrol 5w30. The reason why I brought this up is because I am truly curious (as I am sure others are as well) if non LL01 synthetic oil can be run in our cars for regular 7500k mile intervals. I always perceived that the LL01 was directed towards the fact that BMW recommends 15k mile oil changes. But for guys like me who change out much sooner, can we just run Castrol 5W30 syntec.

I am starting to realize that there is probably no definite answer for this question. It's always going to be based purely on chance. My wife won't take it on her motor, and I don't know if I am willing to on my car to save $30 an oil change. Funny thing when you actually think about it...Mango is right, WTF are these silly little oil treads even created...USE THE BMW OIL PEOPLE

Last edited by fastsoup; 01-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #56
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
I think that means you're a bit low. Just low enough to trip the sensor, but not necessarily dangerously low. At what point exactly did you check the oil? The dipstick is calibrated to show the correct level 5 min after shutdown (you probably know this but just throwing it out there).

It's that or the sensor is already dead??
The light stayed on after I shut the car off when I pulled into a local Shell station to refuel. I immediately set my iPhone timer for 5 minutes, pumped the gas, bought a water bottle and verified the level. Dead center, right where it should be. My car burns practically 0 oil. I'm suspecting the sensor. it did the same thing a few months ago.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 01-08-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #57
sprintman

Quote:
Well it's not me directly, it's everyone on this forum.

I personally use Mobil 0w40, but will soon switch to BMW Castrol 5w30. The reason why I brought this up is because I am truly curious (as I am sure others are as well) if non LL01 synthetic oil can be run in our cars for regular 7500k mile intervals. I always perceived that the LL01 was directed towards the fact that BMW recommends 15k mile oil changes. But for guys like me who change out much sooner, can we just run Castrol 5W30 syntec.

I am starting to realize that there is probably no definite answer for this question. It's always going to be based purely on chance. My wife won't take it on her motor, and I don't know if I am willing to on my car to save $30 an oil change. Funny thing when you actually think about it...Mango is right, WTF are these silly little oil treads even created...USE THE BMW OIL PEOPLE

NO, NO, and NO. You can use an ACEA A3,B3 oil if it doesn't meet LL01 so it will at least have the correct operating temperature viscosity, and a minimum HTHS of 3.5. What's the point when LL01 oil will cost the same, or less, than non LL01 oil? Oh and Castrol Syntec 5W30 is way under spec for viscosity and HTHS.

Last edited by sprintman; 01-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #58
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORSHOES2 View Post
Just an update.

LAdy at autozone price matched walmarts M1 0w40 for me. Walmart didn't have it. So picked up 8Q for 60$
Did the oil change today, was really easy.

When I originally bought the car a few months ago, I was having all the leaks fixed and had non synth valvoline put in. idk what weight.
Car feels much smoother after the change.

So quick question. I put in 7Q and checked the dip stick, it was at the "low" mark. So I ran the engine, checked it, and let it cool then checked it again, was still low. I ended up putting 7.6Q in to get it to the "full" mark.
Seems odd?
I let the car drain for a while, and leveled it after it stopped dripping to get some more out.
Didn't read to the end, but check the oil level in a.m. on level ground. If you don't have an Xi, you overfilled and should get it to at or below the top notch to make me happy.

Mango won't care, but I do!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #59
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
I third the T6. Great oil for half the price and meets/exceeds BMW specs IIRC.

sprintman, do you remember the specs on the top of your head for this oil?

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #60
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I third the T6. Great oil for half the price and meets/exceeds BMW specs IIRC.

sprintman, do you remember the specs on the top of your head for this oil?

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App
No, as it's a U.S specific oil, but I'd rather have that in my prized BMW than some ludicrous CAFE spec 5W30!
Closed Thread