E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #61
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Rotella doesn't show an ACEA spec of A3/B3. I have a bottle in the garage and just checked...use it in the Subaru. I checked Shell's website when I got it for my son's car and decided that 'no ACEA A3/B3' that it's not going in my car.

Agip 5/40 for me next I think...LL-01

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #62
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Rotella doesn't show an ACEA spec of A3/B3. I have a bottle in the garage and just checked...use it in the Subaru. I checked Shell's website when I got it for my son's car and decided that 'no ACEA A3/B3' that it's not going in my car.

Good choice.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #63
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
Wrong. A 5W30 ranges from near 20W to near 40W, that isn't 'close enough' is it? LL01 oil is near 40W, has a HTHS of at least 3.5 etc etc. It's always hard discussing oil, with people who know SFA about oil.
Yeah it is "close enough". There is a fairly wide gap b/w the bottom of an SAE 30 and the top of an SAE 30, but the group only has certain increments for a reason. They could make ratings like SAE 32 or hell SAE 36.87 if they wanted, but it's not really necessary. As for other characteristics, who says something like Castrol Syntex doesn't meet that high temp/high shear rating? I'd be willing to bet most modern synthetics are pretty damn similar, but whatever. The car is going to run fine on almost any oil of 5W-30, especially with regular service intervals.

Would you stop thinking you are the master of oil around here? I don't **** on other people's knowledge going YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MECHANICAL DESIGN just because I'm an engineer. All you ever do is make unsubstantiated claims about oil IN EVERY OIL THREAD or anything that has to do with oil. Unless you are a chemical engineer, then you don't know **** about oil either. Don't get me going on the BITOG community either. Bunch of speculating morons trying to make sense of UOA chemistry they have no idea about.

Does anyone even have a sheet of the LL-01 specification. As in, what characteristics does the oil have to have? I can't find anything except some random forum posts mentioning HTHS of 3.5. For all I know that could be bullshit. Is there anything BMW official?

Last edited by WDE46; 01-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #64
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Yeah it is "close enough". There is a fairly wide gap b/w the bottom of an SAE 30 and the top of an SAE 30, but the group only has certain increments for a reason. They could make ratings like SAE 32 or hell SAE 36.87 if they wanted, but it's not really necessary. As for other characteristics, who says something like Castrol Syntex doesn't meet that high temp/high shear rating? I'd be willing to bet most modern synthetics are pretty damn similar, but whatever. The car is going to run fine on almost any oil of 5W-30, especially with regular service intervals.

Would you stop thinking you are the master of oil around here? I don't **** on other people's knowledge going YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MECHANICAL DESIGN just because I'm an engineer. All you ever do is make unsubstantiated claims about oil IN EVERY OIL THREAD or anything that has to do with oil. Unless you are a chemical engineer, then you don't know **** about oil either. Don't get me going on the BITOG community either. Bunch of speculating morons trying to make sense of UOA chemistry they have no idea about.
Castrols own specs show Syntex has a low HTHS. That takes care of that nonsense. And I sure know more about oil than you do. You're an embarrassment if you really are an an engineer, but I suspect not. Go and do some study and come back when you can respond intelligently.

Last edited by sprintman; 01-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #65
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:

The lack of A3/B3 spec could be because it is a diesel oil, and diesel oils have different specifications. It shows an ACEA E9 rating, as well as an MB 228.31 approval.

I just wonder if this oil has A3/B3 equivalents as far as the actual numbers concerned. The viscosity specs I found for the T6 (in the bf.c thread posted earlier) are quite good, i.e. some 14.2 cST at operating temp, better than any LL-01 oil that I'm aware of.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 01-08-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #66
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
The lack of A3/B3 spec could be because it is a diesel oil, and diesel oils have different specifications. It shows an ACEA E9 rating, as well as an MB 228.31 approval.

I just wonder if this oil has A3/B3 equivalents as far as the actual numbers concerned. The viscosity specs I found for the T6 (in the bf.c thread posted earlier) are quite good, i.e. some 14.2 cST at operating temp.

Good margin when the oil shears (and all oil shears).
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #67
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Mango, my dear. We meet again. Just wanted to share the oil I've been using for all the BMW's I've owned. You said my Penzoil 5-30 wasn't up to spec in the other thread.

http://pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzo...Specifications
Pennzoil PlatinumŽ Euro Ultra 5W-30 meets API SH/CF, ACEA A3/B4, MB-Approval 229.5, BMW LL-01, and VW 502 00/505 00/503.01

Check again, brother, under specs. Just about $8/qt and I stand by it.

Last edited by Jesse M; 01-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #68
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Mango, my dear. We meet again. Just wanted to share the oil I've been using for all the BMW's I've owned. You said my Penzoil 5-30 wasn't up to spec in the other thread.

Pennzoil PlatinumŽ Euro Ultra 5W-30 meets API SH/CF, ACEA A3/B4, MB-Approval 229.5, BMW LL-01, and VW 502 00/505 00/503.01

That is Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Regular Pennzoil 5w-30 doesn't meet the specs.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #69
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
That is Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Regular Pennzoil 5w-30 doesn't meet the specs.

Yes, I know this.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #70
WDE46

Quote:
Castrols own specs show Syntex has a low HTHS. That takes care of that nonsense. And I sure know more about oil than you do. You're an embarrassment if you really are an an engineer, but I suspect not. Go and do some study and come back when you can respond intelligently.
Okay that's fine but where are these specs? Where is the BMW LL-01 specification of HTHS > 3.5? I've just never seen it and I'm very curious.

Anyway I just hate your attitude. You don't know what I know, and I don't know what you know. I am a mechanical engineer, not chemical, though I did study some lubrication. I didn't find it interesting. Your attitude is that you know more than anybody here about oil. You just can't know that. It would help to explain things as well. If you think I'm dead wrong, then educate me please. Provide us with some of your resources and it'll help everyone.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #71
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Okay that's fine but where are these specs? Where is the BMW LL-01 specification of HTHS > 3.5? I've just never seen it and I'm very curious.

Anyway I just hate your attitude. You don't know what I know, and I don't know what you know. I am a mechanical engineer, not chemical, though I did study some lubrication. I didn't find it interesting. Your attitude is that you know more than anybody here about oil. You just can't know that. It would help to explain things as well. If you think I'm dead wrong, then educate me please. Provide us with some of your resources and it'll help everyone.
Not once have I said or opined that I know more about oil than anybody. That's your slant on reading what you don't understand, but I'm fine with that. As for LL01 specs it's easy to find. The non U.S owners manual spells it out in black and white, even to the point that ACEA A3, B3 oil is OK for a while. BMWNA in their wisdom decided to delete all the relevant information, as it would confuse Americans. So the 5W30 CAFE spec oil in the U.S owners manual is BMW 5W30, specifically made by Castrol to LL01 specs for BMWNA. They didn't expect U.S owners to extrapolate that out to mean "use any 5W30" but that's what happened, so much so that even some U.S stealerships use non spec 5W30 such as Mobil 1. BMWNA have a lot to answer for.

Last edited by sprintman; 01-08-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #72
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I stopped reading Sprintman and his oil opinions here years ago...once I understood there were rules that he's written about maybe 10,000 times now, I didn't need to read him again.

M1 5w/30 users...search my thread on this...one of my early ones...and one of the reasons why I now hate oil threads like everyone else!

You can trust Sprintman on oil...and me too...use LL-01 or acea a3/b3 it's not that complicated...though it can be if you get into it.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #73
sprintman

Quote:
I stopped reading Sprintman and his oil opinions here years ago...once I understood there were rules that he's written about maybe 10,000 times now, I didn't need to read him again.

M1 5w/30 users...search my thread on this...one of my early ones...and one of the reasons why I now hate oil threads like everyone else!

You can trust Sprintman on oil...and me too...use LL-01 or acea a3/b3 it's not that complicated...though it can be if you get into it.
I trust you!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #74
WDE46

Quote:
Not once have I said or opined that I know more about oil than anybody. That's your slant on reading what you don't understand, but I'm fine with that. As for LL01 specs it's easy to find. The non U.S owners manual spells it out in black and white, even to the point that ACEA A3, B3 oil is OK for a while. BMWNA in their wisdom decided to delete all the relevant information, as it would confuse Americans. So the 5W30 CAFE spec oil in the U.S owners manual is BMW 5W30, specifically made by Castrol to LL01 specs for BMWNA. They didn't expect U.S owners to extrapolate that out to mean "use any 5W30" but that's what happened, so much so that even some U.S stealerships use non spec 5W30 such as Mobil 1. BMWNA have a lot to answer for.
Anyone have a copy of the BMW euro manual? I still want to know what exactly LL-01 means in terms of the oil's critical properties. Is that in there, or just equivalent specs?

I'll look for a bit.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #75
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Try this: Mobil 1 EF 0W40 spec sheet.

Last edited by scarede46er; 01-08-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #76
BRccKLYN

My Ride: Topaz 01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
+1, its what I use.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #77
sprintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRccKLYN View Post
+1, its what I use.
Dealer oil here was M1 0W40, and every independent shop I know still use it. Stealership oil is now Castrol LL01 0W40 but i'll check.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #78
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post

Nice ninja edit. I've been promoting Pennzoil Euro for years. It's even in my thread.

You were and are using the wrong american pennzoil, IIRC from that thread a while back. Looks like SeanC beat me to it.

Nice try!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #79
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...eticEngineOils.

End of story!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #80
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
Excellent. This is what I was looking for, but I still want the LL-01 spec sheet. Does that even exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
link doesn't work
Closed Thread