E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
nix330ci

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Looking for tire selection advice '04 330ci

hey All, i was looking for advice or suggestions for a particular brand/type of 225/45 R17 tire to throw on, I'm about due.
04 330ci with style 119 squared set-up, i like the size i have as far as fitment look. I rack up miles (150 miles / day) so i would like to stay with a practical non directional semi high-mileage tire that does OK in the little rain we do get here in northern California.
thank you in advance for any thoughts
nix330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix330ci View Post
hey All, i was looking for advice or suggestions for a particular brand/type of 225/45 R17 tire to throw on, I'm about due.
04 330ci with style 119 squared set-up, i like the size i have as far as fitment look. I rack up miles (150 miles / day) so i would like to stay with a practical non directional semi high-mileage tire that does OK in the little rain we do get here in northern California.
thank you in advance for any thoughts
Top choices based on what you're looking for would include the Bridgestone Turanza Serentity Plus and Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...ires/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
aeigner

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
I've got a rule out for Nix330ci and a similar question for Gary at Tire Rack and others out there: I drive a 2001 330ci 'vert with the sport package (bigger tires in back) and have just worn out a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's after 2 years and about 25,000 miles. Loved the tires handling and comfort, but I don't think I can recommend this tire to Nix330ci given the relatively short tread-life.
Meanwhile, I can no longer find a set of PS2's on the Tire Rack site--doesn't seem to have my old sizes listed as available any more. Can I still get those somehow or use one of the optional sizes on my existing wheels, and what would be some alternative tires that would provide similarly great cornering and at least as much tread wear? My BMW fanatic mechanics think I'd be disappointed with the handling of other than Michelins, but I'm open to alternatives. I like the look of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and Nix330ci might like them too, as they have way higher tread life ratings. However my mechanics say it's got a softer sidewall so doesn't corner near as well. I also drive in Northern CA so was considering the Michilen Pilot Super Sport, a summer tire that sounds good since I never head to Tahoe in this car in the winter. (Though I did hit 32 degrees and some light snow on a drive home from Las Vegas NV last week, so just took it slower and no problems. Anyway I'm open to summer tires too if it's not crazy to drive over the occassional pass in the winter on main roads...Thanks in advance for any responses.
aeigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
PS2 was superceded by the Pilot Super Sport.

I've had the PSS for 2 years now, and they have plenty of life in them.
They are by far the quietest and smoothest tire I have owned. They held up great at track events. Most importantly they have a higher tread wear than the PS2's.

Check them out.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
aeigner

Thanks TrickTizzle, you explained why I couldn't find the PS2's in my car's size anymore on TireRack and since the PSS is the next step in the PS2's evolution, I should like it, plus the longer tread life. Any other tires others would recommend as good choices?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
PS2 was superceded by the Pilot Super Sport.

I've had the PSS for 2 years now, and they have plenty of life in them.
They are by far the quietest and smoothest tire I have owned. They held up great at track events. Most importantly they have a higher tread wear than the PS2's.

Check them out.

PSSes are great tires.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
aeigner

Okay, so after further investigation, including noting that Consumer Reports top rated the PSS, I went with the advice here. I've had them for two months now and yes, they are great on this car. Let's see now if I can get more miles out of these than the PS2's. I'll try to remember to report back...
Cheers!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
Aeigner, are you squared setup?
I had flat repaired and I failed the tread depth test. It really gave me a wake up. Enough to start looking into a squared setup to preserve tire life.