E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Catherine

My Ride: 325ci
Exclamation Trunk activator

Good afternoon, my name is Catherine and I own a 2002 BMW 325ci. I am a single gal and my car is getting a bit old and I have had to do some repairs on her myself (replace bulbs, and battery)- however, those are easy- but now I am stumped- I have no one to turn to and need some guidance. My trunk unlock button in side nor the key fob trunk unlock button are working, the dash is telling me that my trunk is open when it is not and the lights in my trunk do not go on- what is going on??? Could it be a fuse???
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
98navi0314

My Ride: 02 330ci TiAg
welome to the forum

when you press either button, can you hear the actuator working?
98navi0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I'm assuming the other buttons on the FOB work correctly?
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Catherine

nope nothing

No noise- I can only open the trunk with the key (and no lights in the trunk when I do open it)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Catherine

no- the key fob button does not work either
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Catherine

yes- the door unlock / lock button on the key fob work fine
Old 12-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
makes sure your glove isnt locked or the car isnt in valet mode(prob not)

check the loom on the right hand side on the trunk it self as wires inside get frayed and loose connection with the trunk.
http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&q...D7DKiAKx0e2JBA

if the lights going out coincided with the trunk latch function, its probably a loom problem.

if not, you need to secure the wires and the gorund inside the trunk behind/inside the trunk of both taillights(common)

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
Did you ever get this fixed? I have the exact same issue. I inspected the wiring loom going into the boot lid and can't see any damaged wires, but it's hard to see with the rubber wrap around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
if not, you need to secure the wires and the gorund inside the trunk behind/inside the trunk of both taillights(common)
Details of where this loose ground in the trunk may be?

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
halo0

Could this problem also be caused by a faulty trunk latch?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
McGary911

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
I had a similar problem with a CLK 430. It was a problem with the sensor that detects an open trunk. It thought the trunk was open (as the case seems to be here), so even when hitting the button in the car or on the fob, it wouldn't even try to open the latch, as the car thought it was already open.......
McGary911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
aeigner

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
I had a similar problem. I checked what I think others are referring to as a wiring loom--my mechanic calls it a wiring harness, I think. Anyway, not very good with the terms here, buI checked the bundle of wires that you see when you open the trunk and look on the lower right hand side, that runs out of the body of the car and up into the underside of the hood. I pulled out the rubber stopper thingies that hold the harness into the body and the trunk lid, unwrapped some sticky black tape around the bundle of wires, and could see that several of the individual wires that were held together by the wrapping tape had the plastic coatings around them cracked and the wires within were showing through. One was completely broken. I used a wire stripper to peel some more of the plastic and expose the wires more, braided the two ends back together, taped them firmly with electircal tape, did the same with all the other exposed wires, and bundled the who thing back into place. Lo and behold, the trunk started working fine again, the warning light disappeared, and my very questionable fix has lasted three months now. I also bought a wire crimping kit to hopefully do a more permanent fix or at least longer lasting one, when needed. My mechanic had recommended replacing the whole harness for something over 1,000.00...but my fix is working fine for now and the car hasn't caught on fire yet. Don't know if this is relevent for you, but there you go...
aeigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
^+1

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeigner View Post
I had a similar problem. I checked what I think others are referring to as a wiring loom--my mechanic calls it a wiring harness, I think. Anyway, not very good with the terms here, buI checked the bundle of wires that you see when you open the trunk and look on the lower right hand side, that runs out of the body of the car and up into the underside of the hood. I pulled out the rubber stopper thingies that hold the harness into the body and the trunk lid, unwrapped some sticky black tape around the bundle of wires, and could see that several of the individual wires that were held together by the wrapping tape had the plastic coatings around them cracked and the wires within were showing through. One was completely broken. I used a wire stripper to peel some more of the plastic and expose the wires more, braided the two ends back together, taped them firmly with electircal tape, did the same with all the other exposed wires, and bundled the who thing back into place. Lo and behold, the trunk started working fine again, the warning light disappeared, and my very questionable fix has lasted three months now. I also bought a wire crimping kit to hopefully do a more permanent fix or at least longer lasting one, when needed. My mechanic had recommended replacing the whole harness for something over 1,000.00...but my fix is working fine for now and the car hasn't caught on fire yet. Don't know if this is relevent for you, but there you go...
dmax had this problem and fixed it as above

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
halo0

Is there any way to perform this fix without cutting off the rubber sheath? If you do cut it off it seems it would be impossible to get another one on there. I disassembled the trunk far enough to see that unplugging or otherwise being able to thread the wires out really isn't possible. It seems to me that with the difficult access that performing a proper wire splice that will last is going to be difficult.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Read my 'elephant trunk' entitled thread.

You cut the zip tie off the rubber boot from inside the trunk...then feed the boot down into the trunk, with the final grommet still out. You'll get to all the wires fine that way. Just be sure to pull all the wires apart...you won't see the break in the wires...they'll be inside the insulation. You need to yank them apart. Inline splice, solder, and shrink tubing.

Once I went in the first time, I was into that loom about 4 times in the next year. Earlier this year (I think), I just rebuilt the entire loom...many hours of easy, tedious work!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
halo0

Ahh, see I didn't think of feeding the boot down. Thanks man.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to stock up on butane for my soldering iron. :/

Unfortunately it's way too ****ing cold for that type of work right now, so I guess I'll be dealing with key-only access for a couple of months!

Last edited by halo0; 01-04-2013 at 08:06 AM.