E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
ACTRON Scanner (autozone type - be careful)

I have the Peak Scan tool which has worked well for everything I needed. I even have the PA soft working and was impressed with that as well. I needed something for my truck so I bought this Actron 9580A from Autozone. I got it at a ridiculous price, it was on sale, then there was a percentage code off plus free shipping, It was almost 50% by the time I got it.

I decided to try it on my BMW since it had live data and a couple other features and I wanted to see what else it could do. To say the least, I was impressed at what this thing does for the cost and it gives detailed info along with common fixes to trouble codes.

However, I don't recommend it for use on the BMW unless you make a small modification to it. The following is not the same tool but is the only picture I could find showing the OBDII connection.

As you can see, on the end of the OBDII connector there is a bar that goes across the notch. It no doubtedly helps to keep the plug attached to the port under the dash. However on my car at least, the OBDII port in the dash has a plastic pin that should slide down the slot. On my other scanners, this bar is not present, on one there is only a slot and no bar and on another there is no bar, however the slotted area is raised.

The modification would be to remove the bar on the Actron scanner to allow the pin to slide through the slot.

I plugged this in and heard a click. I tried to remove the cable and it would not release. The pin on the port connection was in the hole of the plug connection. Once connected you can not see the pin in the hole. I tried for like forty minutes to remove the plug with no go. It took me removing the under panel, and releasing the OBDII from the panel. I was afraid I was either going to damage the port or break the panel. Even with that remove you still could not see why it was stuck. After fooling with it a little while longer, using some flat head screw drivers to carefully pry the port apart while wiggling the cord adaptor was I finally able to remove the tool.

Had I known this would have happen I would not have tried it without doing this first.

Just wanted to post this for others to learn from.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix330ci View Post
As you can see, on the end of the OBDII connector there is a bar that goes across the notch.
I can't really see what you are talking about from the image you posted. But your description is good enough. Excellent heads-up, thanks. But you can't be the only member of this forum that has one of these, and nobody else has spoken up about it yet.

How much did you end up paying for the thing if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited by hitbyastick; 01-24-2014 at 01:36 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Poundingsand

My Ride: 2005 E46 330i
I actually did notice that the Actron scanner was damned near impossible to unplug once plugged in. It took a fair amount of muscle to get it to pop...I haven't inspected it more closely to determine the reason yet, though. I guess now I know what to look for!
Poundingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
OP I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the actron U-scan which communicates via Bluetooth to my iPhone on an app. The plug is basically the same thing except for the fact that it doesn't have the cord attached to it. The first time I used it I was pulling a code on my 05 745li and I plugged this into the obd port under the dash. I experienced the same thing you did but found that you just have to give it a good pull and it will come out. The port is more solid than you would think and it will disconnect itself without damaging anything. After the first few times of using it I found that it began to be easier and easier to pull it out after use. Now it comes out of my cars without any issues.

On a side note the Actron U-scan that I have is great for pulling codes and reading real time data. The app that works specifically with the unit is great and very easy to use after you run thru it a couple times. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good obd II scanner. Another nice thing about it is because it operates Bluetooth there are no wires running under the dash, so you can check the real time data and freeze frame while you're driving without having wires hanging by your feet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
I can't really see what you are talking about from the image you posted. But your description is good enough. Excellent heads-up, thanks. But you can't be the only member of this forum that has one of these, and nobody else has spoken up about it yet.

How much did you end up paying for the thing if you don't mind my asking?
I want to say the original price was $259. They had it for $199, then if you ordered it via internet it was $149, plus a 15% off so it was like $127 then free shipping. I also had like $40 in bonus dollars for spending money in the store (their shoppers card) but I couldn't find a place to use it online.

If bout in the store it would have been 199-40(bonus dollars) so 150. Did the internet thing because was not in a hurry and used the 40 in store on a battery for my truck.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
rocinantes

My Ride: E46 M3/323ci/325ci
I just purchased an Actron CP9185 that got stuck on the OBDII plug of my 2004 M3. I had to release the OBDII plug from below the dash and eventually freed the scanner connector. I removed the leading bar on the connector that the OBDII plug was getting stuck on, as suggested above. The Actron connector now has an open slot that fits over the OBDII plug guide and can be removed freely. I had the same issue when I used it on my 2007 Toyota Tacoma, but now no longer.

Actron responded to my issue/complaint by saying that "BMW and Toyota apparently used sub-standard OBDII plugs and that caused the binding", rather than addressing the connector design issue.

I appreciate the previous post, but wish I had read it before using this scanner in particular. The Peake Research scanner never had this issue with my BMW's, but can only read BMW codes.
rocinantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
forzam

My Ride: 04 325Ci
Why would anyone buy a scanner like this when you have wifi and bluetooth adaptors, OBDFusion/TouchScan, PA Soft, INPA?

Last edited by forzam; 05-13-2015 at 10:41 PM.
forzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #8
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
My ultra gauge hooks in as well. Just need to rip it out
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
Gunsnbacon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330ci
My scanner used to get stuck in, I just broke the little clip off so it doesn't anymore. I accidentally left it plugged in one day and it drained my battery over 3 days and I had to jump my car.

-List of Modifications-
2001 Alpinweiss 330ci ZSP
Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote