E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
RF330i

My Ride: 04 330 zhp
Subframe reinforcement

Want to do some preventive maintenance on the subframe of my 04 330. In my reading here it doesn't seem necessary to install the TMS reinforcement kit if there's no sign of issues in a later model car, so a cheaper solution is injecting structural foam and applying epoxy to the plates(?). Obviously I don't have a clue what that entails.

Car has 72K miles, manual transmission, bone stock. Very good condition.

Any advice is much appreciated. thanks.
RF330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Your car is not a prime prone example of this mode of failure. If you want to be diligent, first get the car up on a lift and carefully inspect all suspect areas. If all looks clean and sound, I'd not take any action.
Especially if your lifestyle is not to hammer your car.
So give us more details if you want more info.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
RF330i

My Ride: 04 330 zhp
I shared your opinion until a recent post talked of a 2005 with suspected frame damage, so I'm not sure if there's a still a risk as the later model years age too. I definitely don't hammer the car, and try to launch out of first without putting too much force on the driveline but the manual definitely puts repetitive torque on the area prone to failure.

See this thread below and the warning by Alex323ci - "Anyone saying this is unlikely on any E46 because of year (has good intentions) but not good input". I'm not convinced yet that I'm out of the woods.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=966038&page=3
RF330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
If it worries you, reinforce it the proper way. Given the obscene number of e46s produced versus the very, very limited number of failures...I wouldn't worry.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
If it worries you, reinforce it the proper way. Given the obscene number of e46s produced versus the very, very limited number of failures...I wouldn't worry.
Couldn't say it better.

And I did say inspect it.

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Just do the foam. BMW makes it and so does another company. Search this site or google for DIYs.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Stinger9

Have pics of when you did it to your car?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
No. I haven't yet. Will this summer. I'm not that concerned since I have a later E46.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=710760
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Considering how much Preventative Maintenance is suggested here on the forum to keep from having larger more expensive damage. I would say this is something to not brush off lightly.
Now more than ever as the cars see higher mileage they are cracking. M3s included. I really think BMW should have filled the area with the expanding epoxy during the inspection service campaign. But it seems they're just going to let cars get this in time and now offer to fix but pay only half at their dealerships.
I plan to do this early summer when I have time.

If you don't want to do this its certainly everyone's individual call. It may never be an issue for you. If you catch it in time this is the TIS Bulletin's way to fix with small initial cracks. But if it's more developed..much more expensive, time consuming and beyond many DIYers skill set to fix will come up.