E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Why are my brakes so hard to depress unlike other vehicles

Basically drove a new Toyota Camry the other day and whenever I stepped on the brakes, I pretty much almost caused the tires to lock up each and every time. The brakes were very sensitive and easy to press.

Back into my E46, I felt like I was driving a car without Power Brakes, it required a lot of force to press.

Was the E46 designed this way for sportyness?

I already changed my pads, rotors, fluid, etc. Same effect.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Same problem I had in the 330. I would basically have a to press the pedal all the way to stop quickly. When I got the M I thought it would be the same but I barely need to press the pedal and it will stop instantly.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Uh, you need new brake fluid. If you put in ATE super blue and bleed it properly, then the pedal will be very firm. Your pads are probably quite worn as well. If a Toyota is out braking your BMW, there is a major problem. These cars have bigger brakes than many SUVs (at least the 330 does).

If fluid doesn't fix it, then you need a new master cylinder.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-04-2013 at 04:34 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Hmmm... my 330i isn't this way. Brakes feel fine even compared to my trucks and my Camaro. I'm wondering if your pads/rotors aren't worn or perhaps wrong for street driving?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
lol no no no WDE. thats not what he is saying.

he is saying the brakes are more sensitive in his camry as opposed to the BMW.

OP, that is not only normal, it is optimal. You have better ability to modulate brake pressure when more effort is required. If you're able to achieve full braking power with a light press, how do you achieve light to moderate braking power?

This is ideal. It's also perfect.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratliff View Post
Hmmm... my 330i isn't this way. Brakes feel fine even compared to my trucks and my Camaro. I'm wondering if your pads/rotors aren't worn or perhaps wrong for street driving?
If your 330 doesn't have a firm pedal, you need a re-bleed and new fluid!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post

OP, that is not only normal, it is optimal. You have better ability to modulate brake pressure when more effort is required. If you're able to achieve full braking power with a light press, how do you achieve light to moderate braking power?

Oh. Well in that case, the brakes should take quite a bit of force. I'd say to activate ABS at 60 mph I need to apply like 70 lbs of pressure or so. I can't really gauge that very well though.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
bratliff

Quote:

Oh! I guess I misread him too... yeah, these brakes take some effort but the power is there! I've nearly locked them up a couple of times during an emergency.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
bratliff

Quote:
If your 330 doesn't have a firm pedal, you need a re-bleed and new fluid!!
No. It's firm! I just like the way the BMW brakes are. I thought OP was saying he had to stomp down all the way to get them to stop at all! My 330i will stop on a dime if I need it to!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

^ That's good. yup these brakes as I've said before are nearly as big (off by a few millimeters) as 996 Porsche Turbo brakes!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I'd not overlook a defective weak power assist unit. They can fail.
Have it checked out.
BMW brakes are not super power assist, but this description seems extreme.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

I remember driving my mom's G37 and immediately the same thing happened to me once i hit the brakes. the car screeched to a halt. I was driving with my mom in the car and she thought I was doing it on purpose. the brakes had absolutely no feel whatsoever and I was glad to get back in my E46 after that.

Yes I know the G37 stops incredibly fast and accelerates very quickly too... but the car was just a big sloppy soft boat. hated it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
hmm my brake pedel is super soft and easy to push to stop. then again i almost have fresh brake fluid in there as well. its pretty funny cus my clutch is heavy so sometimes when the road is empty i barely push on the brake with my left foot and the car stops almost instantly since i push it almost as hard as when i push my clutch haha. then i switch back to my right leg and nice soft, slow steady stop haha.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
hmm my brake pedel is super soft and easy to push to stop. then again i almost have fresh brake fluid in there as well. its pretty funny cus my clutch is heavy so sometimes when the road is empty i barely push on the brake with my left foot and the car stops almost instantly since i push it almost as hard as when i push my clutch haha. then i switch back to my right leg and nice soft, slow steady stop haha.
bleed your brakes if you have a soft pedal.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Overboosted brakes are annoying.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Stainless lines make mine just that much firmer! I think the E46 pedal feel is perfect. As mentioned before, softer brake pedals (especially infiniti/nissan) really take some getting used to after being used to your BMW.

Last edited by E RaK; 01-04-2013 at 06:09 PM.
E RaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
I saw this and almost laughed....not at you OP...but going from my car to the girlfriends jetta....talk about over-boosted brakes ha

Thought I was trying to do an emergency stop first few times I had to...got use to it but damn.

Keep noticing that no matter what car I drive always glad to get back into mine.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
After my e36 was totaled, I rented an Impala. Every time I braked, everything fell off all the seats. Accelerate, I felt like I was tilting back in a recliner. Horrible car...but the brakes were the worst. Very over boosted.

OP...I think you're fine...but at some point, brake fluid should be every couple of years anyway...and also, it could also be that the PO put some cheap pads on yours...IDK. But, Mango is right...you have a range of control with our brakes that you don't with other cars.

For the rest of you...every 2 years or so...which means not more than 3 and you're stupid if you're going 4 years without bleeding brake fluid.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
OP, this is a benefit of good brakes. My pedal is extremely firm and allows for very good modulation. If I need to slam on the brakes hard, I can very easily do that, but normal driving, it's very easy to modulate.

This is desirable in a sports car. Every sports car I've ever driven is like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
Quote:
bleed your brakes if you have a soft pedal.
nooo its not like i have air in my breaks type soft pedal... its just how it naturally is with all my break pads i've used and when i do flush the fluid. smooth stopping smooth pedal.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote