E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
MikeS123

My Ride: 2003 M3 Vert
Neep Help! Dynavin, Amps, Alternator Whine, and Bluetooth Issues

A couple of months ago I installed a Dynavin 99+ in my 03 M3 vert with HK. And over the Christmas Holidays I installed all new speakers, sub, and amp as well. I went with:

Boston Acoustics Pro60's up front.
JL 8w7 in the ski pass.
Alpine PDX-V9 (100x4 and 500x1)

I do want to thank this forum for all the useful DIY's on here because it really helped out. The components did not sound that good originally, but after making baffles and cutting holes in the doors they sound amazing.

But here is where I am running into issues now. First off, when I installed the sub, I had to turn the gain all the way up to get some decent volume out of it. I know the preamp output on the Dynavin is pretty low, so I went ahead and ordered a AudioControl EQS which is a line driver (which is supposed to amplify up to 13v peak) and has EQ controls.

Some of you are familar with AudioControl products, and when I installed it, I followed the instructions and turned the gain all the way down on my Alpine amp. I then turned up the volume to 3/4, played some "dynamic music", but even with the gain all the way up on the EQS, the "overload" light never came on (it is supposed to then you should back it down from there). In fact the 2v led light will only occasionally flicker on the front channels I'm assuming the output voltage on the Dynavin must be extremely weak.

I was able to set the gain to where it was an acceptable volume, and I could turn it up to 55 with no distortion. The problem is, I have engine noise and alternator whine with the car running. I can turn down the gains and almost eliminate the alternator whine, but then I have a $2000 dollar system that is quieter that stock. Currently the amp and EQS is grounded at the battery, so the first thing I am going to do is move the ground and see if it helps. Then I might try running the RCA cables down the center of the car (currently run down the driver's side away from the factory power cable, and it is a Monster 6 to 1 RCA so it is of good quality).

I did also want to mention, when the engine is not running, or the radio is off, I do not get any noise. The system sounds great with no background noise when the key is in the acc or ign postion, but then there is noise as soon as I start the car.

Another reason I posted this before I tried what I mentioned above, is the Bluetooth volume is very low to inaudible on a phone conversation now. I'm assuming it is because I have the gains turned down to reduce the noise (currently set to half way on input on EQS, turned up all the way on the output of the EQS, and all the way down on the AMP). I just wanted to see if there was a setting I need to change on the Dynavin to fix the Bluetooth issue. I did not have a problem when I was running the stock speakers.
MikeS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
First, make sure the AMP setting in the factory settings menu is set to NONE. The amp setting is for integrating with the stock amp, leaving it on will reduce the output at the RCAs A LOT.

you probably have a ground loop somewhere....almost inevitable with with many different components in different parts of the car. you already grounded the stuff in the trunk to the same point but you should do the same with the head unit. Grounding the amp to the battery while the head unit is grounded in the dash is a recipe for a ground loop. Start combining grounds, moving RCAs, etc...see if you find anything. Its tricky using a line driver as you are not just boosting the signal, you are boosting the noise too.

the bluetooth has a separate volume.....when you are in a call, turn it up. ALSO your phone has its own bluetooth volume, make sure its turned up.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-04-2013 at 05:20 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
MikeS123

Thank for the input Jeff. I actually didn't know about the amp setting until today. I did check it and it is set to none.

I did try turning the volume all the way up on the Dynavin when I was in a call, but I could still barely here. I'll check my phone now to see if that is the case.

Do you recommend running a ground wire from the Dynavin to the battery as well? I used to be a professional installer many years ago, so I have dealt with these issues before, it just seems odd to me for one that the AudiControl EQS lights barely light up, and two, the bluetooth volume is so low (when it wasn't before). I just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. I am almost tempted to run the high level inputs going into the factory amp and run them to the EQS to see what that gets me, but I'll probably try that last if not of the other solutions work (different grounding points, re routing RCA's)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
J&T Distributing

very good chance the bluetooth volume in your phone is turned down......OR are you only plugged into the rear RCA outputs???? Bluetooth comes out of the front primarily if I recall.....

The Dynavins voltage output is not all that high, I have not measured it but I would guess its in the .5 volt range, same as most basic CD players. In my own personal car Im using a JBL MS8 and the dynavin's output is enough for the MS8 to do its "auto EQ self correcting input" thing and stay noise free. .5 volt was kind of standard for many years before all the current "hi-volt" stuff came out. That leads me to believe you have something else going on. Running a ground from the dynavin to the battery might do it, you have your trunk components grounded direct to the battery (as good as it gets) while the head unit has to ground through the wire harness and the car body. Pretty much the exact definition of a ground loop.... I also recall someone saying on this forum that grounding to the battery in an E46 was a bad idea....but I dont recall why....

If none of your troubleshooting gets to the bottom of this then yes, you could use the high level outputs....but dont run it through the amp first, just run the outputs right to the EQS.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
very good chance the bluetooth volume in your phone is turned down......OR are you only plugged into the rear RCA outputs???? Bluetooth comes out of the front primarily if I recall.....

The Dynavins voltage output is not all that high, I have not measured it but I would guess its in the .5 volt range, same as most basic CD players. In my own personal car Im using a JBL MS8 and the dynavin's output is enough for the MS8 to do its "auto EQ self correcting input" thing and stay noise free. .5 volt was kind of standard for many years before all the current "hi-volt" stuff came out. That leads me to believe you have something else going on. Running a ground from the dynavin to the battery might do it, you have your trunk components grounded direct to the battery (as good as it gets) while the head unit has to ground through the wire harness and the car body. Pretty much the exact definition of a ground loop.... I also recall someone saying on this forum that grounding to the battery in an E46 was a bad idea....but I dont recall why....

If none of your troubleshooting gets to the bottom of this then yes, you could use the high level outputs....but dont run it through the amp first, just run the outputs right to the EQS.
Where did you ground the amplifiers?There is an audio ground lug in the trunk left side above and forward of the original amplifiers location. Use it.

Never ground any audio gear to the battery's ground lug as your gear will pick up all the electrical "noise" !
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
MikeS123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Well that is probably my issue then. I am using a 5 channel amp, but all I have is components and a sub. I am using the front channels for the tweeters and the rear channel for the mid bass woofer. I'll try swapping the RCA's to see if that makes a difference (probably be better for the bluetooth audio to come out of the mid bass driver than the tweeter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Where did you ground the amplifiers?There is an audio ground lug in the trunk left side above and forward of the original amplifiers location. Use it.

Never ground any audio gear to the battery's ground lug as your gear will pick up all the electrical "noise" !
Unfortunately in a vert the amp ground location is not in the trunk, but it is underneath the rear driver's side panel, so it is too far away. I will try moving the ground though to see if it helps. Anyone else with a vert using a common location in the trunk?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS123 View Post
Well that is probably my issue then. I am using a 5 channel amp, but all I have is components and a sub. I am using the front channels for the tweeters and the rear channel for the mid bass woofer. I'll try swapping the RCA's to see if that makes a difference (probably be better for the bluetooth audio to come out of the mid bass driver than the tweeter).
????? well you have me confused....in the setup you have you only really need to use the dynavin's 2 front channels, splitting everything else up downstream at the EQS.....it has a 3 way crossover built in right?

Edit: after reviewing the EQS manual: http://www.sound-better.net/Support/...ers_Manual.pdf

Ground loop noise and a balanced/unbalanced signal jumpers are mentioned on page 7. Ground location and ground loops are mentioned as well.

The "auto mode" mentioned on page 5 could be causing you bluetooth issues as well since it automatically decides where the audio is coming from and going to. Some trial and error will be required here to get it all working the way you want.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
MikeS123

Yes, I have it all running separately because I wanted to be able to adjust the gains on the tweeter and mid bass driver separately in case the tweeters were too bright and that I could adjust the EQ setting individually.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the manual for me, I had looked at that but I had the noise before I added the EQS so I thought that might not be the issue. But couldn't hurt to try.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
J&T Distributing

The EQS also has high level inputs so you certainly could do that if all the other ground jumper/location stuff doesn't do the trick. If the problem is induced noise upstream of the EQS it certainly would solve it.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
MikeS123

Thanks. First need to find a good grounding location in the vert trunk. I want to make it short as possible, amps are mounted in the spare tire well. I think the best solution might be to drill a hole in the trunk and use something like this:

I just want to make sure I don't drill through anything important (like a gas tank!)

Also wanted to mention, I swapped my F/R RCA cables and that did the trick for the Bluetooth volume! Now the majority of the volume is going though my midbass drivers instead of my tweeters. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
jellyking330

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Typically speaker wires that are not differential cause noise pick up such as alternator whine.. Differential pair or twisted cable routing to speakers should solve the issue
jellyking330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS123 View Post

But here is where I am running into issues now. First off, when I installed the sub, I had to turn the gain all the way up to get some decent volume out of it. I know the preamp output on the Dynavin is pretty low, so I went ahead and ordered a AudioControl EQS which is a line driver (which is supposed to amplify up to 13v peak) and has EQ controls.
I have a Dynavin (I think V4 which has no subwoofer control), PDX-5 (older version of yours?), and Kicker 10" Solo-Baric in ski pass. I didn't need a signal amplifier in between them. In fact, I often had to turn down the bass to tame the sub for certain music.
My connections are all RCA outputs from Dynavin.

Did you select a right input setting for subwoofer: "Sub W" not "1+2+3+4"?
Did you use an y splitter for subwoofer input signals?

Last edited by dslboomer; 01-10-2013 at 03:41 PM.
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote