E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #41
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Your going to love them.. The growl is awesome and it just pulls all the way
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #42
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Now if G.A.S would get the damn tool in stock they'd be in already!

JK Gary is awesome <3
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #43
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
Even for a Zhp, I'd still say the Schricks are worth it...only if you're doing the install yourself. I have them at my house waiting to be installed and you can definitely tell the difference between the 264 intake cam vs the 248 exhaust cam. The lobes are significantly bigger.
Errbody jus' jealous of ZHP cams. I hear if I install Shricks I will have losses, thats how truly astounding ZHP cams are.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #44
charlie-boi

My Ride: 325 cab aa stage 2
Yeh I'm find zhp cams for $900 seems steep regarding gains. Shrick maybe but still alot and from the sounds of things alot of drivability can be lost.

The main reason I wanted something like this is the 330 engine I've got is pretty tired with over 100k on the clock. I dont know areas of the engine where bhp is lost over time but was considering what else could liven the old girl up before she goes in the car? I have a very low milage 325 engine which dhares many parts was wondering if there's any point interchanging some?
charlie-boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #45
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-boi View Post
Yeh I'm find zhp cams for $900 seems steep regarding gains. Shrick maybe but still alot and from the sounds of things alot of drivability can be lost.

The main reason I wanted something like this is the 330 engine I've got is pretty tired with over 100k on the clock. I dont know areas of the engine where bhp is lost over time but was considering what else could liven the old girl up before she goes in the car? I have a very low milage 325 engine which dhares many parts was wondering if there's any point interchanging some?
No drivability is lost
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #46
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
I went from a preface 330ci ---> ZHP and I can honestly say the ZHP pulls alot better but $900 just isn't worth it!

Save the $$$ and get a SC

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid

Last edited by WheyArea; 01-09-2013 at 12:11 PM.
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
No drivability is lost
Says you. Every mod is a compromise. I've heard some say there are flat spots with the Shrick cams.

If cam lift was truly compromise-less, why didn't BMW do what you've done with your cams?

Thought so.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #48
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Says you. Every mod is a compromise. I've heard some say there are flat spots with the Shrick cams.

If cam lift was truly compromise-less, why didn't BMW do what you've done with your cams?

Thought so.

hmmm...I'd say BMW didn't want their 330 motor sounding/looking cammed when it's running...the 264's would put it a bit over the top for a car off the lot...I think they would have taken the performance but slightly too aggressive
///Mvious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #49
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
It does have some dead spots below 3500 with the cams. But definitely worth it for anyone performance minded... And I still have yet to find out if those dead spots will go away after a tune for the cams

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #50
WheyArea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
It does have some dead spots below 3500 with the cams. But definitely worth it for anyone performance minded... And I still have yet to find out if those dead spots will go away after a tune for the cams
You would say $900 for +10hp is worth it?? These cams were $500 just 1 year ago....

Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #51
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyArea View Post
You would say $900 for +10hp is worth it?? These cams were $500 just 1 year ago....
He has Shrick cams.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #52
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyArea View Post
Schrick 268/248 $500 a year ago?? I've never seen new for less that $1.1k...or are you talkin ZHP cams?
///Mvious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #53
WheyArea

Quote:
He has Shrick cams.
So $900 for +10 maybe +15 hp? That just doesn't sound like a solid ROI for the money. OP wants to know if it's worth it and it basically boils down to

$500 ZHP = 10 hp

$900 Schrick= 10-15 hp

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=782973

Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #54
Steven747

Quote:

Thought so.
i found a guy on bimmer forums selling them for 450 shipped so i lucked out

and for the flat spots. they are very very minimal and with headers its not even noticable. possible my ati damper also helping out. but on my car its nothing but better than the stock cams
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #55
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
ZHP cams = useless. Don't bother, even if you get the for free and can install them yourself.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #56
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
And for those who wanted to know, Shrick Cams = no noticeable losses through out the RPM range.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #57
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Quote:

Thought so.
Says me too. ZHP cams over stock cams isn't worth the hassle. The difference in lift AND duration is minimal. Schrick 264/248 cams are a large step up in the ability to flow more air, and though it is rarely done they should be complimented by matched valve springs and a mild port job on the head along with a retune. This sounds like a lot of work but it's how your properly build a motor.
As far as these "flat spots", they come from the stock tune. I noticed huge differences in my fuel trims after installing Schrick cams, with only having a Unichip to trim my fuel curve I got all the "flat spots" out and my fuel trims are back to almost zero.
As far as the compromise, yes you will lose a bit of torque. A larger lift cam lowers velocity at low RPM's, it's just physics. This is why BMW came out with variable valve lift, to get good torque and good HP.
To the OP, ask yourself what you REALLY want to do with your car. Do you mainly drive around town and never take it to the track, them big cams wouldn't be the best choice. Do you mainly drive the snot out of it maybe take it to the track on occasion then get the Schricks.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #58
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
ZHP cams are worth it if you get them cheap.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #59
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
ZHP cams are worth it if you get them cheap.
no they arent. even if you diy you need to get your hands on the gas tool's or have someone time them which is a major pita
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #60
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
no they arent. even if you diy you need to get your hands on the gas tool's or have someone time them which is a major pita
The tools are easy to find. I borrowed them locally and swapped my cams in a few hours without a problem. It's not particularly difficult if you're meticulous.

The (tuned) 15hp gain is more than worth it to me given that it's a race car.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 01-10-2013 at 05:25 PM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote