E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
Need help in educating my wife about.......

My wife is a brainwashed liberal that believes that Guns are pure evil.She absolutely opposes of me bringing a firearm(s) to our home citing all kinda excuses.Here's the dilemma,I recently obtained a firearm permit from the PRNJ and I already bought a handgun with lotta ammo that I keep locked in a small safe that I bought prior to purchasing the gun.She has no idea about all that.Noted that the gun is locked in a different room,even though we are in a pretty safe neighborhood I feel like it would be an hassle to grab my gun late at night in an alleged home invasion.
How do I go about that?She even said that the day that I bring one in she'd leave.
I need help in educating her about guns.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit

Last edited by tiloulou330i; 01-04-2013 at 12:28 PM.
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
I'd bring them in, and tell her to leave if she wants. I don't care if I'm married or not, ultimatums won't work with me.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 01-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
My girlfriend said, "I have no desire to learn about guns. Carry if you want, but it seems pointless."
After many good, long discussions and informing her how a gun (possibly) saved my life, she said, "Wow. Good thing you carry, huh?"
After carrying and explaining her why I carry, how I carry, and my mindset behind it, I asked if she'd like to learn to shoot. "Yeah. Is there a class we can take?"
After convincing her to take the class (taking it in February), it will be, "Do you want the 9mm or the .380?"
The only problem I'm still having is, "There is NO reason for someone to have an AR-15 or a 30-round magazine!"

It's a slow process. Don't be a dick about it, though. And you should have seen this coming when you married the woman, so it's partially your own fault. I personally wouldn't have put myself in that situation and hoped to try to change a woman. That's harder than trying to change yourself. Fortunately for me, my girlfriend just has an open mind and is willing to look at all sides of the argument. I think, though, that once she shoots my pistol for the first time, she'll be hooked.

Serious question: Does she pester you when you go out with the guys? Or do you even get to?

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 01-04-2013 at 01:10 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Enrolling my wife in a firearms/self defense class really opened her eyes, and changed her perspective.

We took the class together, and as I recall, her "light bulb" moment was seeing a video demonstration of how easily door locks could be defeated. She realized she wasn't as safe as she thought, even at home.

She was raring to go hot after that.

Granted she wasn't as strongly opposed as yours, and didn't lay down any ultimatums (she'd been to the range with me a few times, but didn't understand why she "needed to learn"). She now has a CCW and carries occasionally (still working on this)

BTW, if you've purchased the gun in spite of her threat, then it appears you've already made your choice....

I'd personally call her bluff, then go from there. I suspect there will be some raging....maybe even a few nights on the couch, but hopefully it will blow over.

Ghostie

NOT A MARRIAGE COUNSELOR
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Enrolling my wife in a firearms/self defense class really opened her eyes, and changed her perspective.

We took the class together, and as I recall, her "light bulb" moment was seeing a video demonstration of how easily door locks could be defeated. She realized she wasn't as safe as she thought, even at home.

She was raring to go hot after that.

Granted she wasn't as strongly opposed as yours, and didn't lay down any ultimatums (she'd been to the range with me a few times, but didn't understand why she "needed to learn"). She now has a CCW and carries occasionally (still working on this)
This 100% for me. Do this together with her and tell her it's important (she's important) to protect.

Have your wife watch the news every night for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
CollinsE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
This 100% for me. Do this together with her and tell her it's important (she's important) to protect.

Have your wife watch the news every night for a week
Particularly Fox News
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
I feel bad for you. My girlfriend's grandmother carries and hates libtards that dislike guns which rubbed off on my girlfriend. We love to go shooting.
JTLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Particularly Fox News

She'll be shouting, "IMPEACH OBAMA!" in a week!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
I bought my wife a Pink Ruger 10/22 and will be taking her shooting. I'm using this gun as an ice breaker to get her shooting & introduced to guns. Anything else I have would knock her on her ass...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
CollinsE90

IMO, if she is giving you an ultimatum, you're shit out of luck. Seems to me her opinion will never change, and you knew that when you married her.

You could find a wife of a friend that is a man with a vagina to become friends with, and she can rub off on her.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 01-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
My wife has always been against the idea on "her" owning a firearm but she would never tell me what to do or limit what I can and cannot buy. Guess I got lucky in that one particular area however I dont recall ever putting this up for discussion. I went out and purchased whatever guns I wanted and keep them out of sight. I did ask her to attend classes with me however she flat out refused. Recently she has begun to change her perspective and is relieved I have a chance of protecting our family should there be a need.

I dont know how you address this outside of what the others are suggesting, for me it wasnt an option for discussion. I was raised in a family of gun owners (most of my family is LEO - the poo poo) and the instant I was able to purchase a gun I did.

Perhaps you just tell her its your decision to make, not hers.
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
That or have a friend attack her at night right as she is walking into the house....nothing violent, just shake her up and steal her money....that will change her mind real quick. On a serious note, if she doesn't want to hear it, you are not going to change her mind. Ultimatums don't work with me either.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
SPDSKTR

This might be the most useful tool you can have after the fallout happens.

Just sayin'...

Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
That or have a friend attack her at night right as she is walking into the house....nothing violent, just shake her up and steal her money....that will change her mind real quick. On a serious note, if she doesn't want to hear it, you are not going to change her mind. Ultimatums don't work with me either.
When I was typing my first response, I included the sentence, "Don't stage a home invasion; there's a risk of her just getting pissed and not seeing the point of it."

I have a feeling his wife is the kind of woman who would press charges against him and his friend. It will probably end badly. OP... see above useful tool if you decide to do the mock home invasion.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 01-04-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
When I was typing my first response, I included the sentence, "Don't stage a home invasion; there's a risk of her just getting pissed and not seeing the point of it."

I have a feeling his wife is the kind of woman who would press charges against him and his friend. It will probably end badly. OP... see above useful tool if you decide to do the mock home invasion.
I was just kiddin, but good point. It doesn't seem like anything positive will come of it. I wasn't actually serious.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Libs I tell you
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader View Post
Libs I tell you
Stop talking! Lair's ears are burning!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
yea, my fiance hated guns when we got together. a lot if it is just fear because she really is unfamiliar with guns. i have had a few talks with her about how guns work and why i have them. i actually started leaving some of my rifles in plain view in our bedroom (right in front of the tv) so that she's grown used to seeing them every day. she is a lot more comfortable around them now and even asks questions from time to time about them. shes still pretty uninterested in shooting for the most part, but shes now comfortable with them at least.

oh yea, and it helped that her father's old house(which sits abandoned and bank owned since he passed away) was broken into and stripped.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 01-04-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
yea, my fiance hated guns when we got together. a lot if it is just fear because she really is unfamiliar with guns. i have had a few talks with her about how guns work and why i have them. i actually started leaving some of my rifles in plain view in our bedroom (right in front of the tv) so that she's grown used to seeing them every day. she is a lot more comfortable around them now and even asks questions from time to time about them. shes still pretty uninterested in shooting for the most part, but shes now comfortable with them at least.
My wife was pretty funny...

She loved the idea of a Ruger 10/22 for her, but got a little upset I bought a "dangerous gun" in my AR-15.

...15 minutes of explaining fixed the "dangerous" part, but two weeks has still not fixed the "doghouse" I am in for the "$500" I spent on the AR-15.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Make a date night of going to the range or attending a class. Take her to a NICE dinner after shooting - something much nicer than usual as a bribe. Most of the time people who hate guns are scared of them because they haven't been educated, so being around them and learning is an eye opener.

You might also want to familiarize her with things like avg police response times and the sorts of real world crime that go on in good neighborhoods around you.

She isn't likely going to change her mind overnight, but you can work on it step by step.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote