E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
you should have bought one of the painted decklid spoilers in the first place if you are on a budget - and now that you have $ invested - what is $100??? come on - dont be cheap

I cant wait to see pics of the end result of you DIY painting if you are asking these questions in the first place...
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
330i ZHP

oh yea - OVERALL FINISH RESULTS ARE ALL ABOUT THE PREP AND LATER POLISHING
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #23
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
Really? It completely depends on what you consider an acceptable paint job. I'll admit I have OCD to a fault and have accepted that I am a perfectionist living in an imperfect world.

If you screw the clear coat up and don't get a mirror finish (glassing the paint) you either take it back down and start over from 100-320,prime, finish sand 400-600 and repaint until you get it right, or you wet sand it out with 600-2000 grit and buff it out. Yes you can hand polish but you cannot get a mirror finish by hand even on a part that small. Can you get close, yes - but a buffer (a real buffer not a porter cable) can do what no hand can do. No painter makes money on buffing, but few armatures get away with laying glass. That's the difference between a paint shop that does reputable work and work that's just, "hmmm, yeah it looks ok".
I guess you'd take it to the next level. I just wouldn't spend two times the money on sand paper and paint than I did on the lip spoiler. For something larger, like a bumper, I would definitely do it all the way or have it professionally painted. Probably professionally.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-09-2013 at 06:35 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
330i ZHP

but the point of doing the paint correctly on this piece - it is RIGHT IN YOUR FACE and any defects are going to be easy to see
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich330ci View Post
First, I'm a new member and this is a GREAT forum! Soooo much useful information!

Now my question: I'm looking to paint my trunk lip spoiler, but don't want to pay a shop +/- $100 to do it. There are a few online retailers who sell spray cans. I need titanium silver metallic for a 2004 330ci. I took a look, but didn't see any particularly recent threads on this subject. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I would just like to say that the success of a spray job is in the preperation of the surface to be sprayed and the conditions during the spraying process. That's what you get for your money in a body shop. You can save a few sheckles by doing it yourself but I would let the pros do it.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
the $20 one i have on my car from eBay is still perfect after a couple years. paint is flawless.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote