E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Sig Sauer MPX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ml28BphAkSQ

Thoughts?

And wtf is NATO mud?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
It's a pretty neat idea, and it looks like a blast to shoot. Operationally, it's very limited. Pistol caliber long guns and subguns are being phased out by most special operations groups, military tactical teams like FBI HRT and DEA FAST, and law enforcement agencies and tactical teams.
I can see a lot of applicability with this weapon in the European market, but not in the US market.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
mkodama

There are standardized "dirts" for weapons testing, but I didn't think it was decided by NATO.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
There are standardized "dirts" for weapons testing, but I didn't think it was decided by NATO.

From one of the comments:

"NATO mud" doesn't refer to the material, but to the testing procedure. Not sure what the standard is today, but it used to be that any weapon going through the mud test had to go through a dozen separate mud 'baths', then after the last one had to be able to fire five consecutive shots cleanly in order to pass.

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
m5killa

My Ride: Sperry's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
It's a pretty neat idea, and it looks like a blast to shoot. Operationally, it's very limited. Pistol caliber long guns and subguns are being phased out by most special operations groups, military tactical teams like FBI HRT and DEA FAST, and law enforcement agencies and tactical teams.
I can see a lot of applicability with this weapon in the European market, but not in the US market.

Are they switching to SBR rifles?

http://www.westcoastspecialties.net/ <---- Best Body Shop in Sd
m5killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5killa View Post
Are they switching to SBR rifles?
Not necessarily SBRs, but rifles-yes. 5.56/.223 and 6.8SPC loads have far better performance and lethality than pistol rounds, longer range, more precision, and better barrier defeating properties, including punching through soft armor (which pistol rounds won't do). Additionally, barrier blind and urban rifle loads have a lower propensity of over-penetration than pistol rounds. FBI stats have indicated that a greater percentage of rifle rounds are recovered inside the body of the suspect(s) than pistol or shotgun rounds. This is done by percentage of incidents compared to overall incidents where that weapon option was used.

Pistol rounds are known to suck when putting bad guys down, and lengthening the barrel does not make them any more lethal. You just get better accuracy, longer range and higher rate of fire than you do with a pistol. When the bullet hits the meat however, it's still the same as if you shot them with a pistol.

Special operations units needing compact suppressed weapons have largely moved away from the MP5s, and some switched to the MP7A1, which fires a 4.6x30mm "subcaliber" type round. Many of the units that have used the MP7A1 have subsequently ditched due to poor performance, opting for .300BLK subsonic loads out of suppressed SBRs, which are far more effective and lethal.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote