E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
BMW-North

My Ride: 01ci,03i,03xi,04xi
Fan tool dimensions - Help

Hi,

I'm helping a friend do his wp. I have manual E46's so this tool is not in my arsenal.

I have a 32mm wrench that fits the nut fine - just need the tool to hold the wp 10mm bolts.

Won't be able to pick one up anywhere around here and delivery will take a week so I'll make one out of 3/16" thick 2"x 14" plate steel. Just need the dimensions if someone doesn't mind measuring the one they have.

I figure the holes are around 11mm in diameter (or enough to clear the heads of the bolts) but don't know the distance between the two.

Thanks

BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
use a long screwdriver. I do have the tool on order from amazon. It should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I have a set of calipers too so I'll make a post on it so people can fabricate it.

Last edited by WDE46; 12-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
There's two different sets of dimensions because those bolts are staggered, two pairs on the waterpump pulley. l'm out shopping with the wife currently, i'l you those specs once i get home.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 12-08-2012 at 02:38 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
[QUOTE=www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e36/fan-removal-tool-34163.html
[/QUOTE]

The tool itself is 16" long and measures 1 1/4" across. The top hole (circular) is located 3/8" from the bottom of the tool , the hole center is 5/8" from the start of the tool bottom) and the hole itself is 1/2" in diameter. The enlongated hole starts 1 1/4" from the bottom of the circular hole, is 1" long and 1/2" deep. The cutout starts 1/2' from bottom of the tool, is approximatley 1 1/2" long and almost a true semi circle that comes in to about mid way across the tool width and then starts back out ending up about 3/8" below start of the enlogated hole.

Last edited by cityjohn; 12-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.
cityjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
BMW-North

My Ride: 01ci,03i,03xi,04xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
The tool itself is 16" long and measures 1 1/4" across. The top hole (circular) is located 3/8" from the bottom of the tool , the hole center is 5/8" from the start of the tool bottom) and the hole itself is 1/2" in diameter. The enlongated hole starts 1 1/4" from the bottom of the circular hole, is 1" long and 1/2" deep. The cutout starts 1/2' from bottom of the tool, is approximatley 1 1/2" long and almost a true semi circle that comes in to about mid way across the tool width and then starts back out ending up about 3/8" below start of the enlogated hole.

Thanks - Much appreciated

To the prior poster - thanks - yep I knew the holes were not squared when I put the wp pulley back on my own 330 last year (recangular points). I think that's the reason for a two ended tool with the elongated hole.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
love2drive330CI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
If you have a big screwdriver or something strong enough to press down on the bolt while you take a quick smack with the hammer onto the 32mm wrench to initially loosen nut; it has worked for me for years. Obviously you know it is a reverse threaded.

Now I did just figure out something so funny and yet so effective when it was time to put the fan back on. This has always been my nightmare part I dreaded dealing with the fan. I have even had my girlfriend help with me because she had small hands but still this was a royal pain for me.

I unlaced my sneaker and used my shoe string and carefully wrapped the nut with the shoe string. Carefully lowered the fan and shroud down into position. With one hand held the fan in position by holding a blade(my fat hands) and put pressure inward on the nut. Then I used the other hand and slowly at first pulled straight up on the shoe string. It was just like spinning a top it; in about 3-5 seconds it was over half way threaded onto the bolt!!!

I can not tell you how much I had dreaded re-installing the fan/this has made it so so simple for me. Then I tighten with 32mm wrench then do the same thing(in reverse) to tighten the bolt.

I had to do this again about a week ago to swap my alternator--you can use a thin strap(once you loosen nut) and wrap it on the nut kind of like you would if you had a string on a piece of wood and you are trying to start a fire by twisting it. This saves the 30-50 times you have to pull 32mm wrench out and put back in to loosen with quarter turns.

I think with the tool to hold the nuts it will make it even easier process to tighten/loosen nut.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
wack0

My Ride: M3, ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2drive330CI View Post
I unlaced my sneaker and used my shoe string and carefully wrapped the nut with the shoe string. Carefully lowered the fan and shroud down into position. With one hand held the fan in position by holding a blade(my fat hands) and put pressure inward on the nut. Then I used the other hand and slowly at first pulled straight up on the shoe string. It was just like spinning a top it; in about 3-5 seconds it was over half way threaded onto the bolt!!!
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was just killing myself trying to get my fan back on so I took a break and found this post. Went out to the garage and it worked on the first try. I think everyone should know about this trick. Thanks a billion!
wack0 is offline   Reply With Quote