E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
RL 00' 328i

My Ride: 00' 328i sport 5spd
misfire, rough, slugglish.. Help needed

Here is the story:

Subject: 2001 325i AT with 188k. Bought it 500 miles ago. not much service record. the car runs fine, shift smooth, and pretty good pick up power above 3k rpm.

Since owned, check engine light showed up once. The car idled rough all of the sudden for 10 seconds while waiting at a red light. After that, back to normal for another 200 miles. Read the code P0171, cleared it never come back.

This is the original thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...823&highlight=

Two weeks ago in the morning(from a cold start), drove for 10 minutes, Car idle and ran very rough and check engine light on as well. It was only few blocks away from home, so I drove it home and pulled the code, and it showed P1349(misfire on cylinder 4)

Swapped the ignition coil # 4 to coil #2 to see if it is the coil problem. Started the car, Ran rough, P1345( misfire on cylinder # 2)..

I thought I found the bad coil since the misfire went to cylinder #2. Happy too soon because I started the car again to move the car to across the street. The car ran very rough and die a few times. Pulled the code and to my surprise, I have three codes now.....P1345, P1349, and P1352. Which mean cylinder 2,4 and 6 misfire now.... I guessed the ignition coil might not be the problem

So I checked the DISA. It was a little dirty and other than that, everything looks good. Ordered a new O-ring anyway. And since I already have a bunch of parts that I am planning to do. I decided to do them all which included the following:

New completed CCV system.
New Valve cover Gasket.
New Lower intake hose.
New O-Ring for the Disa.
New Throttle body gasket
Cleaned both ICV and Throttle body

After many hours of work. Finally finished putting everything together. Fired her up. It still idle a little bit rough. I drove around the blocks for 5 minutes, I can feel the car lost some power. The rough idle was not as bad as before but still I can feel that it is misfire. I also smell rotten egg in the cabin..(bad cat??)
By the way, No Code though

Advice please .....
RL 00' 328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You obviously found the first link in my signature, however, did you replaced the SAP vacuum hose around the side and rear of the valve cover? This breaks all the time and since you did replace your valve cover you likely now have a broken SAP vacuum line.

Have you checked the vacuum line at the fuel filter and have your replaced the fuel filter.

You changed the valve cover gasket, however, these valve covers crack easily and you could have a cracked valve cover gasket, a missing valve cover bolt grommet.

Did you confirm the vacuum port on the side of the CCV is either connected to something or capped off?

There may be some vacuum caps on the rear underside of the intake that split/fall off.

I may not have covered everything, but these are the more common areas to check into further.

The rotten egg smell is not likely a bad catalytic converter, usually the opposite. Likely the sulfur in a richer fuel mixture that the converter is trying to burn off?

Do you have a scan tool that can capture and display real time data and freeze frame data? This can be useful for further diagnosis.

Check fuel trims and you will likely see you are running lean?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
RL 00' 328i

My Ride: 00' 328i sport 5spd
Sorry, Was so busy at work and holiday.

Here is the update. After I have the car idle a little longer, P1345 came up.(this is the coil that original on cylinder #5 that I thought was bad) I put in a replacement coil that I prepared. Clear the code. 400 miles already and it runs great. Thanks for the help !
RL 00' 328i is offline   Reply With Quote