E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #81
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
ouch.. that's a tad harsh. You don't even know the guy or how much effort he Alone put into this design, sourcing of materials and actual fabrication of the components for his DISA repair kit.

Quite honestly a design that BMW AG should have done in the first place! Those Germans could take a lesson from Gary on this one.
Just saying.
I don't think JFOJ was bashing anyone in particular--how could he? I don't think he knows the guy. In general, we see these small companies come and go all the time. It's just the nature of the business.

As far as BMW AG taking a lesson... I don't think so. MJLavelle could explain this better, but the cost to implement those parts spread over millions of units would drive the cost up substantially.

even at $300, replacing it every 10 years is a bargain.

We're spoiled by cheap parts we get from all our vendors, but when it comes down to it remember you're driving a BMW and not your typical Camry/Corolla/Civic/Toaster.

Pay to play

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #82
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I don't think JFOJ was bashing anyone in particular--how could he? I don't think he knows the guy. In general, we see these small companies come and go all the time. It's just the nature of the business.

As far as BMW AG taking a lesson... I don't think so. MJLavelle could explain this better, but the cost to implement those parts spread over millions of units would drive the cost up substantially.

We're spoiled by cheap parts we get from all our vendors, but when it comes down to it remember you're driving a BMW and not your typical Camry/Corolla/Civic/Toaster.

Pay to play
I Don't consider tighter tolerance, improved design aluminum to be cheap parts by any means. If anything, the reason for my purchase was to upgrade from plastic BECAUSE I drive a BMW

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #83
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:

Pay to play
You are correct. BMW stayed with plastic because of manufacturing costs. These DISA units would be over $500 from BMW if they were aluminum. Sure, it would make the car cost "only" $200 more from the factory, but you can't keep nickel and diming your car cost. You have to compromise somewhere otherwise you'll have a $100,000 230hp compact sports car.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #84
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
I Don't consider tighter tolerance, improved design aluminum to be cheap parts by any means. If anything, the reason for my purchase was to upgrade from plastic BECAUSE I drive a BMW
You need to get an understanding of how stuff works. Every part of every car (even Ferraris) are a compromise. You can't spec parts made of the very finest material and design for every car otherwise you end up with a $1.2M super car like the Bugatti Veyron with $35,000 tires. Business is competitive and to remain competitive you can't spend all your beans in one area. I'd rather that extra money be spent on interior pieces than some obscure vacuum part that needs replacement (at WORST) every 10 years.

If replacement of a $200-300 part every 10 years is too much for you to handle, this is the wrong car for you. And trust me, you seem to be new to these cars, a $200+ DISA is the least of your worries. The DISA can affect performance but really isn't a crucial part. It won't leave you stranded and won't overheat your engine like a failed cooling system will. I suggest you concentrate your focus elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You are correct. BMW stayed with plastic because of manufacturing costs. These DISA units would be over $500 from BMW if they were aluminum. Sure, it would make the car cost "only" $200 more from the factory, but you can't keep nickel and diming your car cost. You have to compromise somewhere otherwise you'll have a $100,000 230hp compact sports car.
Exactly.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #85
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
In for the DISA delete plug.

Maybe GAS can offer that one!!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #86
DonaldE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
In for the DISA delete plug.

Maybe GAS can offer that one!!
Thought about that as well. But the torque lost at lower RPMs is actually really noticeable. WOT all day long oyster only thing around it

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #87
DonaldE

Quote:
You need to get an understanding of how stuff works. Every part of every car (even Ferraris) are a compromise. You can't spec parts made of the very finest material and design for every car otherwise you end up with a $1.2M super car like the Bugatti Veyron with $35,000 tires. Business is competitive and to remain competitive you can't spend all your beans in one area. I'd rather that extra money be spent on interior pieces than some obscure vacuum part that needs replacement (at WORST) every 10 years.

If replacement of a $200-300 part every 10 years is too much for you to handle, this is the wrong car for you. And trust me, you seem to be new to these cars, a $200+ DISA is the least of your worries. The DISA can affect performance but really isn't a crucial part. It won't leave you stranded and won't overheat your engine like a failed cooling system will. I suggest you concentrate your focus elsewhere.

Exactly.
Did I at ANY point say that it should have came on the car originally? You're outfielder ignorance is becoming unbearable. If anything else were to go bad, I would also upgrade to better parts that have been designed in the last ten years. Like drilled same slotted rotors or better you're tires. Improved intakes, water pumps, etc. Is it so hard for you too understand this?

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #88
DonaldE

My work phone is so much harder to write with. Sorry for the mistakes and unneeded words

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #89
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Maybe someone can post up Dorman info soon?
I ordered one; it should arrive tomorrow. If I have time, I'll post pics of it tomorrow evening. I'm going out of town this weekend, so Sunday/Monday at the latest.

I also intend to test it before I install it. I'll plug it in with the original DISA still in the engine and run it through the RPM range to see how it reacts. From what I've read, this is a two-position valve that changes position at 4200 rpm or so. I want to verify this. I'll post a video of its operation if I can talk my wife into operating the gas pedal while I film it.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Last edited by wildirish317; 01-10-2013 at 09:49 AM.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #90
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Did I at ANY point say that it should have came on the car originally? You're outfielder ignorance is becoming unbearable. If anything else were to go bad, I would also upgrade to better parts that have been designed in the last ten years. Like drilled same slotted rotors or better you're tires. Improved intakes, water pumps, etc. Is it so hard for you too understand this?
All those parts you mention are either downgrades or are unnecessary. You shouldn't come on here and start talking about stuff you don't understand or criticizing parts whose life expectancy are 10+ years. you are just nitpicking over nothing.

How do you know your GAS rebuild kit will withstand the test of time? That's right, you don't.

For someone so critical of the stock part, you seem pretty sure of yourself. Hell, I might even go with the GAS upgrade myself, but I wouldn't for a second criticize the stock part for failing on me (if it ever did)

I'm all for improved parts, but I'm also a reasonable and efficient-minded person.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #91
DonaldE

Quote:
All those parts you mention are either downgrades or are unnecessary. You shouldn't come on here and start talking about stuff you don't understand or criticizing parts whose life expectancy are 10+ years. you are just nitpicking over nothing.

How do you know your GAS rebuild kit will withstand the test of time? That's right, you don't.

For someone so critical of the stock part, you seem pretty sure of yourself. Hell, I might even go with the GAS upgrade myself, but I wouldn't for a second criticize the stock part for failing on me (if it ever did)

I'm all for improved parts, but I'm also a reasonable and efficient-minded person.
You're right. Brakes, tires and water pumps are totally unnecessary. You're intolerable.

Glad after all that ignorance, you say that you might use the kit. Incredible...
Hope my review helped

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #92
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
You're right. Brakes, tires and water pumps are totally unnecessary. You're intolerable.

Glad after all that ignorance, you say that you might use the kit. Incredible...
Hope my review helped
I've considered and used G.A.S. products well before you were even a member on this forum.

Mind your words.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #93
DonaldE

Quote:
I've considered and used G.A.S. products well before you were even a member on this forum.

Mind your words.
What, no ignorant and uneducated response?

I'll mind my words when you've learned to use your brain

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #94
DonaldE

You've made it apparent that you have been a member longer and owned an e46 longer. Unfortunately, you've Allah also proved your inability to reason and your obvious close-mindedness

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #95
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
What, no ignorant and uneducated response?

I'll mind my words when you've learned to use your brain
Quote:
You've made it apparent that you have been a member longer and owned an e46 longer. Unfortunately, you've Allah also proved your inability to reason and your obvious close-mindedness

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #96
DonaldE

Quote:
Sorry man. Buy you've pushed me beyond my patience. You just tried to tell me that brakes and water pumps were unnecessary. And I've tried

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #97
DonaldE

But you're inability to reason is bothering me

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Tan Leather Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Loaded

DonaldE
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #98
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Sorry man. Buy you've pushed me beyond my patience. You just tried to tell me that brakes and water pumps were unnecessary. And I've tried

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #99
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I ordered one; it should arrive tomorrow. If I have time, I'll post pics of it tomorrow evening. I'm going out of town this weekend, so Sunday/Monday at the latest.

I also intend to test it before I install it. I'll plug it in with the original DISA still in the engine and run it through the RPM range to see how it reacts. From what I've read, this is a two-position valve that changes position at 4200 rpm or so. I want to verify this. I'll post a video of its operation if I can talk my wife into operating the gas pedal while I film it.
DISA does not exactly work the way you think you will be trying to test it, so do not get to upset or condemn the unit if it does not react the way you expect it to.

The large boxy part of the DISA is a vacuum reservoir, you could try and connect/hold a vacuum hose over the small 1/16" or slightly larger vacuum source port and pull a vacuum and "charge" the reservoir, but it may not be worth the effort.

The way the DISA basically works is the vacuum reservoir is used to store enough vacuum to operate the DISA for some period of time. The solenoid purges the vacuum from the actuator to allow the DISA valve to open under spring pressure and the vacuum reservoir is then used to close the DISA valve again. Or some basic operating principal along that process.

What you really need to do is see if the vacuum hole is similar in size, if the flap shape and thickness are similar and if the 2 really look close in design.

What many do fail to realize that even the balance and weight of the parts can slightly impact how they behave. Not sure how much dyno and design time went into the DISA, but BMW did not even need to put a DISA in these engines, but they found some appreciable gains, that for the extra time, money and effort they determined if was worthwhile and somehow got the idea past the bean counters.

I am still amazed how good the fuel economy is for these engines and cars and how well they do perform. A lot of thought and effort has been put into systems to get more power, economy and improved emissions out of these engines. Things like Double VANOS, DISA, Heated Thermostat, Intake and Exhaust manifold, Combusion Chamber Design, and even all the way to the exhaust butterfly in the output of the muffler.

Each item by itself does not add up to much, but all the small tweaks added together makes for a better package and it why these cars are so popular and why we are all here.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #100
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
I am still amazed how good the fuel economy is for these engines and cars and how well they do perform. A lot of thought and effort has been put into systems to get more power, economy and improved emissions out of these engines. Things like Double VANOS, DISA, Heated Thermostat, Intake and Exhaust manifold, Combusion Chamber Design, and even all the way to the exhaust butterfly in the output of the muffler.

Each item by itself does not add up to much, but all the small tweaks added together makes for a better package and it why these cars are so popular and why we are all here.
Fuel economy isn't that great, and isn't the valve for sound?
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote